Reply General Discussion
Role Playing - 2 Questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 am
First off, how exactly does role playing work? I checked a few guilds; most were inactive, and the one that wasn't kinda scared me. Why? Well, I checked out how they were role playing, and all it was was dialogue (not even in quotations), like is was their avi talking. There was nothing descriptive. I'm hoping I just ran into a bad RP guild.

Next... Know any good RP guilds? Got a link? All the stuff in this guild about role playing is making me curious about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:21 pm
The active one that you found seems wierd to me as well, and I'm an avid roleplayer.
Wikipedia
Roleplaying is a way in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the story.

Basicaly, A group of people get together and create a story, each controling a different character in said story. It's a multi-man story making team.

As for wanting an active place to roleplay, trythe roleplay refuge. They're friendly and are happy to teach people who want to get better.
Does this help any?  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:29 pm
wiki's got it dead on there.
Another guild to check is this one, owned by the captain of THIS guild. It's pretty fun, well I'm enjoying it anyway xD

RPing can be a bit awkward some times, as your posts also rely on the quality of the last persons, so if they lack something you'll probably lack it too without wanting to lol.
but that being said it's still a lot of fun and easy too once you get into it and used to the formats  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:11 pm
.... : D Ya'll linked to the RPR AND 5SM. I be real happehs nao.  

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 pm
lol yeah :3
Well the two are my main RPing places just now XD  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:25 pm
lol!! I saw the RPR on the guild page last night and got a screenshot of it, I just haven't uploaded it yet.

Anyways, Lyvidia: What happened, is that you ran into what we call "semi-lit", which means that even though people might have good spelling and grammar, they had super-short posts, usually just dialogue, like you saw What you want to look for is "lit/literate" or adv-lit/advanced literate". Literate RPs, you can usually expect a full single paragraph to three or four paragraphs in a reply. Advanced lit is usually about five to ten paragraphs, and there's "elite" roleplays. Post length varies, but it's usually enough to get close to a full page or more on Microsoft Word - and keep in mind, that's average reply length.

Most of the time, I go for lit or semi-lit because I prefer making the story go rather than being detailed. But, I've been pushing myself to be a better writer though my roleplaying, and that's why I'm tackling NaNoWriMo this year.

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:00 pm
Yeah... you definitely just ran into a 'bad' roleplaying guild. I use quotations because it is bad as it is not what you were hoping/looking for, yet is not actually bad because... well, obviously someone must like it, right?

I'm in 5SM and RPR. They're both wonderful, from what I have seen. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:36 pm
I have not done much of anything with the literate or advanced literate role-plays, but I have done plenty of semi-literate ones. The quality of the role-play can vary greatly depending on the people involved. I have seen ones where everyone is describing their actions and putting their dialog into quotes, and I have seen ones where I have no possible way of telling what is going on. They would have no separation between actions and speech, nor would they have ANY punctuation. So a long post would just be one run on sentence.

For some role-plays you could go to my guild, if you wanted. We currently are still trying to get the ball rolling again, and all the current role-plays are semi-literate. However if you wanted you could check it out. We are trying to cater to as many people as we can, so if you want a literate or advanced literate role-play all we would have to do is start one.  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:32 pm
Thanks for the replies/links, everyone! =] I'll have to hunt me down one of them "lit/literate" or "adv-lit/advanced literate" RPs.  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games