Welcome to Gaia! ::

Circle of Nine

Back to Guilds

A tightly-wound RPing haven for the Guardians of the True Role-Play...the Circle of Nine! 

Tags: small, friendly, literate, awesome, pie=good 

Reply Casual Discussion
Names

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:27 pm
So... People at my school have been talking about what their names mean and it got me interested so I looked my entire name up. Given name and surnames both.

Eduardo Javier Gonzalez Lopez

Guardian of the new house of the son of War and/or son of Wolf/ son of the Wolf

I personally like it. Anyone else know their names "meanings?"

On a side note in this thread: I love the way the name Lucifer roles off the tongue and that it's meaning is more or less 'the light bringer'. It's too bad that if I name my kid that everyone will see me as a devil worshiper. Any ideas?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:45 am
David Tyler Heaton
David=beloved, in Hebrew.
Tyler=builder, in Old English
Heaton=House on a Hill, in Welsh  

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 pm
Cool name. Sounds very English...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:47 pm
Therese - Greek, Harvester
Nicole - Greek, Victory of the people
Mastini - Italian, only thing I can find is the Mastiff breed of dog...

I feel the same way about that name Orcus, it's sad that most religious people say it's Satanic and all. It's sounds 'velvety'. =D I'd still name my son that either way, probably. Just give the kid a middle name they can use instead of their first name, that should balance it out.  

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150

Frog Apocalypse
Crew

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 pm
James- Supplant. Replace. Variant of Jacob derived from the latin Jacomus. English
Reuben- behold - a son. Israel
Lucas- Light. Latin America  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:19 pm
Ty Gwynnia

I feel the same way about that name Orcus, it's sad that most religious people say it's Satanic and all. It's sounds 'velvety'. =D I'd still name my son that either way, probably. Just give the kid a middle name they can use instead of their first name, that should balance it out.
That's a great idea. It might actually work out well for the kid if I give him a middle name.

Your name's nice by the way. Is your family Greek or Italian? Or both? Therese, I know, is a very Greek name. Nicole has become more common throughout the years here in America and I doubt that your last is a dogs name.

@Gundam Arashi: Sorry to ask but isn't Reuben also the name of a sandwich? Whatever, I always thought James was a cool name. I've also read that Apollo was also known by 'the Lycian' and was said to mean wolf god and god of light. Maybe Lucas has origins in Latin or Greek.  

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:04 pm
Orcus Fieres
Ty Gwynnia

That's a great idea. It might actually work out well for the kid if I give him a middle name.

Your name's nice by the way. Is your family Greek or Italian? Or both? Therese, I know, is a very Greek name. Nicole has become more common throughout the years here in America and I doubt that your last is a dogs name.

@Gundam Arashi: Sorry to ask but isn't Reuben also the name of a sandwich? Whatever, I always thought James was a cool name. I've also read that Apollo was also known by 'the Lycian' and was said to mean wolf god and god of light. Maybe Lucas has origins in Latin or Greek.

'Thanks, though I wish I had something that meant wolf in mine like you do, though. My first name's kind of plain looking to me, with 3 'e's in it and such, then lots of people mispronounce or misspell it with an 'a' at the end, even though my name's a variant of Theresa/Teresa. As for my last name, I couldn't find anything about it, except that a breed of dogs shares that name too. Now the name Mastino, I can find. =|
Well, my father's side of the family is Italian and my mother's side is German, both are direct lines too, so maybe my Italian side is kind of Greek-ish.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm
WHAT? Therese is a classic name, it's a very pretty name. I love the greeks and anything greek but they have quite the knack for names. A name of greek origin gives you high marks in my book.  

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:48 pm
I love Greek stuff too, and Roman, but once you've had to spell it out to people and pronounce it for them as well, then they still get it wrong...the novelty sort of wears off. Daw, I'm honored, Orcus. You made my day, since I've been getting aggravated with my brother the whole time. >=|  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:58 pm
Nothing Greek can ever falter in my book. If I could turn all of Greek culture and society (+ some roman in there) into a big blob of goo and put it in a sack I would... Actually, this conversation is better left to a site with more than a pg13 rating but let's leave it at, ILOVETHEGREEKS or better yet, in 1337, I 10v3 73h gr33k5 @nd r0m@n5 @ l07.  

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm
Nice, lol. Do you mean falter, instead of faulter? Just wondering.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:22 pm
emo yes.  

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:29 pm
Ees okay, mah friend. *pats shoulder*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:43 pm
Okies, thankes. smile  

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Orcus Fieres
Crew

Aged Genius

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 pm
Also, you can elaborate on your names. I think I was lucky with mine but I only added the word 'of' to turn it into the sentence that you see there.  
Casual Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games