Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
gay bullying does not only apply to kids in our generation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gemini_615

O.G. Smoker

8,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:04 pm
believe it or not, bullying does not only happen amongst out age group.
not only do people our age want to say cruel things about the lgbt youth, but believe it or not, there are ADULTS who wish to put us down,

Quote:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

i dont understand any of this.
i have friends who dont believe in my lifestyle.
they dont believe in my attraction to my own gender.
but NEVER would they say anything of this caliber.

im not posting this to make another "look at this" thread
i want to make a thread where people may come and comfort each other and find strength in each other
here is my story

[qoute] i am 18 gay, and a senior in high school
to me, the worst battle i have ever had to fight was coming out to myself.
the step where i told every one else, was cake compared to the internal struggles i had to face.
nowadays, i find power in dressing like a woman.
i do it because i do see myself as both a man and a woman.
i was forced to take my dress off at school one day.
they warped rules to make it seem like i made a huge ruckus on campus.
when in truth, all i did was walk into class, and do what i had to do.
i spoke directly with the principal of the school and addressed the subject.
i brought it to her attention that the issue wasnt dealt with the same leniency a regular female student would have gotten.
the next day, i was harassed by another student.
i responded to his verbal assaults of "f*****t" or "gay" by speaking of his ignorance and his being a "b***h a** mother ******** retard"
i was yelled at while he got by with detention
i brought the situation straight to the principal, and told her that if the issue of fairness wasnt addressed, i would sue.
i dont know if my threaqts will be taken seriously, but it MUST be addressed, and i will not back down however they choose to treat me.

i know we all have our battles
please share yours and hopefully another may take courage in your actions.
remember,
if we dont stand up for whats right, who will?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:10 pm
that picture...
I want to kill the person who said that

We are not abnormal <_<  

Ants In Your Underpants

Malevolent Friend

25,400 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gaian 50

Tzagnos Zorba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 pm
While I know the frustration of being called names - responding by calling someone a "b***h a**, mother ******** retard" is wholely uncalled for and in fact could very easily be seen as a prejudice against people who are mentally challenged. I personally take more offense to what you said than what the boy said and I'll tell you why. The boy is obviously a homophobe which means he probably has some very deep seated doubts about his own sexuality. However Refering to someone as a "retard" because they have a prejudice is wrong and I know you can find better ways to defend yourself than to put down a group of disabled individuals who really can't defend themselves. Yes - I am a parent of a disabled individual - a person who would have been called a "retard" 20 years ago and no one would have thought twice about it. I can assure you that my child has no prejudices what so ever and I have yet to meet a disabled individual who judged anyone such rediculous standards as the color of their skin or thier sexual orientation in fact the percentage of GLBT disabled people is the same as the percentage of non disabled folks - just like you don't like to be called "f*****t" - the word "retard" is an insult to disalbed individuals. The boy in question should have gotten in trouble AND you should have gotten in trouble and I hope in the future that you find better ways to defend yourself than to launch a verbal attack on people who had nothing to with what some homophobe said. Zero tollerance means zero tollerance whether it's because someone is GLBT, a "nerd" or disabled. I hope next time you choose your words more carefully.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 am
BeachbumD
While I know the frustration of being called names - responding by calling someone a "b***h a**, mother ******** retard" is wholely uncalled for and in fact could very easily be seen as a prejudice against people who are mentally challenged. I personally take more offense to what you said than what the boy said and I'll tell you why. The boy is obviously a homophobe which means he probably has some very deep seated doubts about his own sexuality. However Refering to someone as a "retard" because they have a prejudice is wrong and I know you can find better ways to defend yourself than to put down a group of disabled individuals who really can't defend themselves. Yes - I am a parent of a disabled individual - a person who would have been called a "retard" 20 years ago and no one would have thought twice about it. I can assure you that my child has no prejudices what so ever and I have yet to meet a disabled individual who judged anyone such rediculous standards as the color of their skin or thier sexual orientation in fact the percentage of GLBT disabled people is the same as the percentage of non disabled folks - just like you don't like to be called "f*****t" - the word "retard" is an insult to disalbed individuals. The boy in question should have gotten in trouble AND you should have gotten in trouble and I hope in the future that you find better ways to defend yourself than to launch a verbal attack on people who had nothing to with what some homophobe said. Zero tollerance means zero tollerance whether it's because someone is GLBT, a "nerd" or disabled. I hope next time you choose your words more carefully.

i totaly see your point and in the future, i will make sure to choose my words more carefully.  

Gemini_615

O.G. Smoker

8,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Tzagnos Zorba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:08 am
Thank's for understanding - dealing with bullies is hard. At best it's frustrating at worst it's dangerous. I'd definitely pursue the zero tollerance policy with the administration and perhaps get in touch with your local GALA (Gay and Lesbian Alliance) if you have one locally. I'm glad the boy got detention it's better than just them just completely turning a blind eye to it and going 'oh well, that's what boys do' - which is something that was said a lot when I was growing up. If someone was different they were, according to the adults of that day, expected to either just take it - or conform and stop being different and bullying and name calling was just one of the ways to make sure we all acted the same and became good little heterosexuals - which of course didn't work but it sure made life miserable for a lot of people who had almost no recourse in those days.
There was a time when established medicine believed they could and should cure GLBT people with electroshock therapy and then with drugs that would make them vomit - we've come a long way even though things still aren't equal for us.
Stick to your guns, be careful and personallly if it was me I'd try to find a way to make him look stupid not just show my anger. Next time he calls you "f*****t" maybe laugh and go "What does that turn you on? What a freak" or just don't say anything - wink at him - that will really infuriate him. or "Better a 'f*****t' than straight for you! ugh!" - just be aware some guys don't take being made to look like a fool lightly and they can get violent. He'll say things back if you can't find anything else to respond to him and think he's getting the best end it by laughing at him - what ever he's said no matter how much he thinks it's going to hurt you - a laugh in the face takes all his power away and makes him feel humilliated. (of course that's assuming it's one on one and not a group of bullies)
I really hope the school will help sort this out and threatening them with legal action can be helpful- but what I've found even more helpful is threatening them with publicity - "You know with all the gay bullying in the news I bet our local tv station would love to know your stance on it. I think I'll give them a call" Schools don't like negative publicity especially if they think it will actually make the evening news - it's worked for me.
I hope things get better for you and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that kind of thing in the school system which is supposed to provide a safe learning environment for ALL studends.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 am
At the pride parade i signed up for standupflorida....and the guy told me i can turn in my school which is amazing. I'm so tempted to do it.
Everyday at skool i hear kids say "gay." "f**" "f*****t" "homo" and make jokes. it so annoying.do they even understand wht there doin? and in my gov class we talk about things happening in the US and the world. Not once has he brought up the gay sucide issue. and that is extremely important the sad thing is i really like that teacher. just anything that deals with homosecuals he skims over...like when we talked about west bro...a really annoying chuch...a girl asked "aren't they against gay rights also?" He said like two sentences and thats all.
me and another girl sometimes talk about it in class, everyone else ignores us or tells us to stop.  

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items