Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Negotiating Prices

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Herp
  Derp
View Results

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 pm
My goodness, we all have that one word we can't spell, and for me it's "negotiate." I always want to write "negotigate." Moving along...

So, I managed to snag three OMG Scarves today, for 150k apiece, and I sold two of 'em back for 200k. The third, I kept. Almost immediately after I listed the scarves, I got three messages. The first was from someone who wanted me to offer her the scarf for 170k. The second was someone who wanted to trade me some items. The third was from someone who just flat out wanted me to give him the scarf.
stare

Okay, if there were any offer I'd take, it'd be the second; trading items might actually make you a profit, if you can haggle the trader right. The first...Eh. No. Why would I take a net gain of 20k when I could have a 50k gain? Also, I mean, 30k is below the reasonable amount one lowers a popular item! The last? No, no, no. And no. Beggars fill me with unstoppable rage, and leave me with a red forehead, and cracked desk. No. GTFO.
talk2hand

Anyway, would you have taken the first or second offers? Would you be generous enough to give away an item that's so hot right now, to a stranger? Someone you know?

Personally, when I set a price I don't negotiate whatsoever; my listed price is what you'll pay. If you don't like it, buy from someone else. xD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm
If a hear a friend is trying to get something and I have the disposable pure to afford it, then every once in a while I'll just go buy the damn thing and anoni-gift it to them. In my store when I used to half-a** vend I had a warning in large bold red text telling people to only PM me about an item in my store if they wanted to offer items for it, and we'd go from there, or if they wanted to do a straight pure for item trade, I'd lower it by a little bit less then what's taken away as part of the 2% tax so they pay less and I get more than what would happen through the vend.

In answer to your actual question, hell no to the 30k reduction, possibly to the items, but most likely not since someone would probably buy up the scarf before you could finalize a trade. And I'd post a screenshot of the idiots begging pm in my store. neutral  

Fuji_hobo_jacket

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 pm
I can be rather generous, myself; I'd bought this scarf for Syko, but then she had to go and buy it for herself, before I could give it to her. xD

Also, I remember your vending days; I do remember one day when you and I were competing for an item. I don't know which one, but I remember bidding and seeing I'd be beaten. Going to my inbox, I saw it was by none other than you. And you then posted in a thread here, that we had going about vending "That [/whateveritemitwas] is mine, Nexus." You b*****d.
rofl

The good ol' days...

At any road, if I were interested in a trade, I'd pull the item first, but like you said, it'd be gone too fast Seriously, before I could tell them, No, Maybe, and hell no, in that order, my scarves had sold simultaneously.

Also, I'm not mean enough to screencap them. But if it keeps happening...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm
I once had an OMG Hat and an Angelic Sash. This girl had some sad sap discussion in one of the Guilds I used to be in about how she got hacked and yada yada. So, I never wore it. And at the time, I had around 10mil. So I traded it to her for a pair of flame pants. Best trade ever haha.

The Angelic Sash? Well, that's still just sitting in my inventory, waiting to be bought. But I don't think I'll ever sell it just because I enjoy having items that are almost impossible to get for the price they are listed at.  

Explosive Sex

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm
omg u have angelic sash i can haz for 50 gold plz?

edit: ********. Yes. I'm rereading World War Z for the umpteenth time, now. When the movie comes out, I'm pretty sure I'm going to s**t bricks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm
And, out of random discussion, Max Brooks is a bad a**. Zombie Survival Guide? ******** amazing.  

Explosive Sex

Explosive Sex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 pm
omg u 2tly liek r ovr prizng da anglic sash11!1111!! scream scream scream  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 pm
No I wouldn't offer a price cut when I know I can sell it for higher.

Not a fan of item trades cause you can end up with junk you don't want that is to hard for you to sell and thus your not getting the profit you should be getting.  

wo_nyrmo

Fuji_hobo_jacket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm
Nexus Carbuncle
I can be rather generous, myself; I'd bought this scarf for Syko, but then she had to go and buy it for herself, before I could give it to her. xD

Also, I remember your vending days; I do remember one day when you and I were competing for an item. I don't know which one, but I remember bidding and seeing I'd be beaten. Going to my inbox, I saw it was by none other than you. And you then posted in a thread here, that we had going about vending "That [/whateveritemitwas] is mine, Nexus." You b*****d.
rofl

The good ol' days...

At any road, if I were interested in a trade, I'd pull the item first, but like you said, it'd be gone too fast Seriously, before I could tell them, No, Maybe, and hell no, in that order, my scarves had sold simultaneously.

Also, I'm not mean enough to screencap them. But if it keeps happening...
OMFG I REMEMBER THAT!!!

I forgot what the item was too. xD But I remember sitting in the vend and seeing some item go by that I was like "hmmm maybe" and saw you were the last bid and I absolutely HAD TO bid higher for that reason alone. xD I don't think I even got it...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:16 am
I'm not a vender on the market place, but even I would always go for maximising my profit. Why settle for 30k less than what something is worth.

I'm actually pretty fortunate. I have never had to deal with beggars, at least, none I can remember. I thinks its because I have such hideous avatars, people barely spare me a second glance, so even when I'm wearing some desirable, no on notices.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 am
yaoinut
I'm not a vender on the market place, but even I would always go for maximising my profit. Why settle for 30k less than what something is worth.

I'm actually pretty fortunate. I have never had to deal with beggars, at least, none I can remember. I thinks its because I have such hideous avatars, people barely spare me a second glance, so even when I'm wearing some desirable, no on notices.

I think I'm actually causing the scarf to deflate, singlehandedly. xD

I keep buying those things and selling them for the lowest available price, making a killing, and so people keep trying to price them lower than what I have listed. They're down to 180k from 200 yesterday, and when I went to bed, my 200k was by far the lowest.

And I usually don't get beggars based on my simple, ugly avatars, but I get beggars because I don't sell often, but I'm a big guy when I sell; I usually sell four items that are all worth at least 200k, because when I hit the marketplace, I'm out to make money. People seem to interpret this as me out to set high prices so they can beg me to lower them.

@Fuji- I think it was something stupid like a kilt, or a grass skirt when it was still worthless, before it inflated like whoa. Real friends spitefully outbid their friends. xD

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games