Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
One ticked band nerd.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

viper_353

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm
Okay, so just wondering if any of you have this kind of thing going on too....
Well, I'm in gr. 12 and play 1st chair flute, right? And I suppose I'm pretty good compared to the rest of the band; I can play music a couple levels above what we play in band class (which is usually only gr. 3 or 4.), and sight reading the music they play is pretty simple. But whatever. Well, This year in gr. 10 there are two girls, and they are REALLY good for their grade. Probably they're the same level I was last year. And unfortunatley, they KNOW it. And then, one of the girls' younger sister and her best friend (the friend plays flute.) are in gr. 9 and because apparently the rest of their band sucks he's allowing them to play with us. And the girl's sister is EXTREMELY full of herself to the point of being rude with me! It's kinda wierd....Haha, but it's just driving me crazy because now EVERYONE's comparing themselves with how I play, and I'm TOTALLY not like them--It drives me crazy when people point out that I'm lead flute, or when someone says 'you should just have Tommy and Jessica play tomorrow instead of the band!'
Yeah....anyone else have this happening too??  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm
Oh, dear.
I'm in grade 12, too, and am lead flute.
I'm not the best, actually, but I'm more of a leader than our best flute, and am willing to help out the not-so-great younger players, and get along way better with the band director. But anyhow.

I have had this problem as well. My freshman flute buddy, let's call him Paul, is not so great of a player. He's not the worst (we've had horrible flute players recently) but thinks himself the best. He tries to grab 1st parts from me (I prefer second but no one else can hit the third octave..) and proclaims that "next year I'll be first flute!" Which is amusing because, obviously, Hannah, who is a great player, will take lead once Wendy (lead in terms of rhythm) and I graduate.

Basically, bite your tongue and speak to the director about this, who should put those big-headers in their place.
While, yeah, it's your job to lead the flute section, you don't need to hurt anyone's feelings to assert your authority.

Just keep practicing and playing well, give out help when needed and yada-yada. Be a good role model and your section will naturally follow your lead.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:52 pm
Awwe, thankyou!! smile
Yes, the problem with our band too lately is our lack of really good flute players! It seems like there's such a skill difference; we have the ones wh ojust don't get it, and then a few who do really well!!
Unfortunatley I'm not the most confident player; I play all my notes, and I suppose I play confidently, but I'm not one to ever say that I'm better than others, and it freaks me out when others say they are!
Haha, yes and I definatley prefer to play second too!! The lowest notes are always the prettiest, and I find that without a strong player on second, we lack the harmonies!!
Thanks, I guess I could talk to my band director! And I will definatley be trying to play a lot more; I'm usually a practise-aholic of music, but lately I've been doing it more often just cause I know I should never miss a note now!! biggrin
Thankyou for the advice!!! smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:42 am
No problem! =D Hope things will improve for you. <3

So yeah, I'm a good second flute because low notes are harder to play loud...
but I play out a lot.
Band director says I'm the first flute he's ever had to ask to play quieter. (in pep band! lol!)
Definitely not the first he's had to tell to shut up, though...(we're a chatty bunch!)
I'm verryyyy boisterous and overly confident
so I sometimes come as arrogant
though I'm certainly quite humble and know my limits (there's a lot! like counting..oi)

But anyway --
Leadership is more about action than words.
Those who go on and on about how great they are only seem petty and incredibly full of themselves.
Showing how great you are will definitely garner you more respect than just talking about it. Those other fluties will realize that eventually, no worries!

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

yung ugly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:59 am
I play 1st trumpet,in band.
These two guys have been in band longer than I have and they would rub it in my face "NOOB!!" or shiet like that.
I get over it but the sad part is I like one of them.
My trumpet is really old is rusty so they're gonna be like "SHE'S POOR"
and damn,I almost cried once -.-;
It's okay just worry about yourself not them,
it'll be too much stress and always do your best,
sorry if I suck at giving advice
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items