Reply General Discussion
Blind to the fact that your main character is a fish

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Todd186

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 pm
By that, I mean your character has the personality of a fish.

So, I'm writing in my NaNo novel and all of a sudden I realize that my main character is a Gary Sue. At first I was astounded. I've never had this problem face me so profoundly; it was like a slap in the face. Normally I write characters that, even if they don't have the msot likeable personalities, have one.

Now I am faced with finishing this novel under the dark shroud that continues to torment me with the fact that "your main character is a Gary Sue... He's a fish... He's a fish... He's a fish..." and it freaks me out for some reason.

How many of you have had to deal with this face that looms over your novel like a black cloud when sunlight should be shining all over it?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 pm
I've recently realized that one of my mains was something of a flat character, which is rather depressing when you learn that I've worked with the story/world for something like eight years now. :c Part of it is because I've kind of lost interest in her, though, and I find the main main to be more interesting.

Also there's the fact that I've recently learned that one of my borderline eldritch abomination/god characters acts like Slendy turned up to eleven sometimes (mass mutilation/kidnapping, a nearly impossible to remember face, combat tentacles, spiffy outfit, psi abilities, associated with fire...). Depressing because I've only recently learned about Slenderman, and this character has existed for a few years now. ,_,  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:15 am
I always find that my characters start out fine, then slowly piddle out like a car running out of fuel untill they're so boring I just stop using them :/
I hates it!! D:

Being an RPer, I find that usually the main cause of this is a storyline thats starting to stagnate, or being stuck with annother persons flat character sweatdrop

EEEDDDIIIITTTT::::::
Moved to general discussions forum  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces