Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Eminem homophobia? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:53 am
Meeatu
kittycross

Your quote was blank, dear.

Just transposed a bit- sorry
kittycross
Meeatu
kittycross
Meeatu
wiccan_sk8er
"f*****t" doesn't have to be used towards gay people.. Seriously, guys.

Interesting fact for you:
As far back as the English epistemology of the word can be traced it's changed meaning many times.

A f** was originally, as many people know, a bundle of sticks. One would pick up the f** to keep the fire going.

It then became the person who's job it was to carry that bundle for firewood. "The f** came by with his sticks yesterday to relight the streetlamps that had gone out".

This was synonymous with being socially unproductive. (It was not a desired job) "that f** should get a real job".

It then became to mean a burden, (much like the sticks would have been for the f**). "When I married her, it was a huge f** off my shoulders."

Then, old people: as they were considered a burden to the taxpaying public. "I reckon' as soon as a f** gets too old to work they should be shot like lame farm-dogs".

Then, young people: this was sort of a joke amongst pensioners. "If we are fags for not being mobile and able to put our experience to good use, they must be massive fags, because, for all their youth and fitness, they're either too lazy to get off their arses, or too stupid to be helpful even if they did."

Penultimately (or at least officially), in the circles where age was respected greatly (namely: Oxbridge) 'faggots' became the term for the new intakes. These kids would be expected to do whatever their elders asked of them.
"Hey, f*****t, do my homework for me."

Finally, due to the frequent results of many such Oxbridge 'faggots' requests, the derogatory term for a homosexual was born. "********, I was joking around, and I got my f*****t to strip - How was I to know he was actually a f*****t?"

And there's your fun fact for today.
Enjoy :]

Don't forget during the times of witch burning in Europe, they would toss 'faggots' on the fire- which referred both to the sticks and the persecuted homosexuals.

Yupyup.
I forgot that one, thanks.
Pyres became fags, because one burns fags (the wood) on them, and one burns fags (homosexuals) on them. biggrin

How jolly a word it is! razz

Etymology is a lovely thing heart

*I can never think of vanilla the same way after knowing it's past xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 am
kittycross
Meeatu
kittycross

Your quote was blank, dear.

Just transposed a bit- sorry
kittycross
Meeatu
kittycross
Meeatu

Interesting fact for you:
As far back as the English epistemology of the word can be traced it's changed meaning many times.

A f** was originally, as many people know, a bundle of sticks. One would pick up the f** to keep the fire going.

It then became the person who's job it was to carry that bundle for firewood. "The f** came by with his sticks yesterday to relight the streetlamps that had gone out".

This was synonymous with being socially unproductive. (It was not a desired job) "that f** should get a real job".

It then became to mean a burden, (much like the sticks would have been for the f**). "When I married her, it was a huge f** off my shoulders."

Then, old people: as they were considered a burden to the taxpaying public. "I reckon' as soon as a f** gets too old to work they should be shot like lame farm-dogs".

Then, young people: this was sort of a joke amongst pensioners. "If we are fags for not being mobile and able to put our experience to good use, they must be massive fags, because, for all their youth and fitness, they're either too lazy to get off their arses, or too stupid to be helpful even if they did."

Penultimately (or at least officially), in the circles where age was respected greatly (namely: Oxbridge) 'faggots' became the term for the new intakes. These kids would be expected to do whatever their elders asked of them.
"Hey, f*****t, do my homework for me."

Finally, due to the frequent results of many such Oxbridge 'faggots' requests, the derogatory term for a homosexual was born. "********, I was joking around, and I got my f*****t to strip - How was I to know he was actually a f*****t?"

And there's your fun fact for today.
Enjoy :]

Don't forget during the times of witch burning in Europe, they would toss 'faggots' on the fire- which referred both to the sticks and the persecuted homosexuals.

Yupyup.
I forgot that one, thanks.
Pyres became fags, because one burns fags (the wood) on them, and one burns fags (homosexuals) on them. biggrin

How jolly a word it is! razz

Etymology is a lovely thing heart

*I can never think of vanilla the same way after knowing it's past xd

It is!
You would like Bill Bryson: At Home.
I recommend you read it. It's hilarious, and full of amusing facts.
It's essentially a history of the world through examining everything in your house, room by room.  

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 am
Meeatu

It's essentially a history of the world through examining everything in your house, room by room.

Thank you, I'll have to check that out !  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 am
kittycross
Meeatu

Thank you, I'll have to check that out !

Tell me how it goes.
You can also get it on audiobook, but dear Bill was not gifted with a soothing voice.
He's very nasal.  

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers