Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I witnessed my first Bystander Effect...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's the right thing to do?
  Rush out and get involved! I can stop this!
  Call for help. That's what phones are for.
  Pay attention to details in case I'm a witness later.
  Ignore it. It's their business, not mine.
  Join in committing the crime! I'm no hero, I'm a villain!
View Results

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 am
Night before last a woman started screaming bloody murder outside my window, begging to be let go. I could hear that she was being dragged to the parking lot. I turned a light on and the distraction was enough for her to run upstairs, but the attacker, apparently her boyfriend, followed her into her apartment and started yelling and god knows what else. By now I'd already called 9-1-1.

Yesterday we talked with our property manager and learned that while multiple neighbors called her in the morning to complain about the noise... nobody else had called for help when the woman was being hurt. They could hear it just as well as I could, and none of them thought, "I need to help her."

Serious question, guys. If you were literally five feet away from someone being attacked, possibly raped or killed, what would you do?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 am
i would like to think that if i was i would do something, though having never been in that type of situation i don't really know.

I do think it's ever sad and patentic that out of all those people that heard, only one(you) thought to do something. Good job to you though.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:21 pm
One of my neighbours was like that.

We had to call the cops on them many times because they would be threatening to kill each other. He is now not allowed back onto the property and if we see him we have to call the cops. . .again.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 pm
You're good folk, Lychee. 3nodding You can live in my neighbourhood anytime!  

Maze

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:58 pm
I'd like to say I'd be all dashing, & helpful, & try to help in any way I could.
But, I'm a coward at heart, so no promises.

Also, good on ya Lychee the world could use more folk like you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:29 am
Oh yeah because obviously someone being noisy is more of an annoyance to your neighbours than getting attacked is to the woman. Well done for caring Lychee, we could use more like you smile

I actually think if you took a very small neighbourhood and stuck all of us in the houses, it'd be the best neighbourhood EVER.

Welcome to Suites Ave.
Population: AWESOMENESS.

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

AquilaLiberum

Rinoa Hatake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:34 pm
It's like an episode of "What Would You Do?"!

My neighborhood is like that. No one cares what's going on or what happens to anyone until it happens to them. Then its outrage that no one helped them...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:20 am
Find something heavy and throw it at the boyfriends head. Worry about the legalities later because that douche has to go down. evil

My major problem is that in my job we've all been instructed not to get in the middle of fights or potential fights, because we're representatives of the university while on campus or more specifically in the residence hall area and as such if we get involved the university could be sued. xP

Like I said though, I'd still get involved and worry about the legalities later.  

Fuji_hobo_jacket

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 pm
I'd panic attack for about 5 seconds, then do either one of two things:

A) Call 911

B) Go Tae Kwon Do on Mr. Assailant's pudgy fail of an a**.

...both if I'm feeling particularly confident. But that's a rare thing for me D:

I'm usually more of a coward than a fighter, but lack of justice tends to send me into a berserker fury.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm
I would definitely call 911, but as for stepping in to physically help, I'm not that strong and I don't own a gun.  

Aaditya

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 pm
I'd call for help, but that's probably all I'd do. I'd love to think that I would help, but I'm 5'9" and I weigh 130, and if the person was armed, I'd be too scared to do anything. ]:

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games