Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Media
What they won't put in your history textbook.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDollxxHazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm
Historians have reported that the first American settlement was a homosexual community. Being that the ratio of men to women was 6 to 1, (men being 6 and women being one) and men have their urges, the settlers often resorted to gay sex and even marriage in some cases. They adopted (stole) native American children and called them their own wanting to have a family. Of course, when the population of women increased, men denied all "unholy" acts of sodomy and homosexual relations. These acts were often recorded in journals kept by settlers.

American wasn't the first society to be homosexual though. In Ancient Greece, older men often slept with their younger male apprentices. Unlike America, they never denied it, it was a common thing to do and most men with apprentices did it. Also, in ancient Greece, women openly slept together. Being that a woman's sex drive is larger then that of a man, men wouldn't be able to satisfy their wives. Therefore, if a woman's husband wasn't home, she would simply call the neighbor's wife. It was accepted in their society as long as it wasn't a romantic relationship.

Isn't it ironic how America was founded by homosexuals and how our ancestors were perfectly okay with same-sex fornication yet in some states, it's illegal to be openly gay? Isn't ironic how we still can marry? I think that problem is that people don't know this because their afraid to teach it. They say it's offensive, but I think its offensive NOT to teach it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm
I find it absolutely ludicris what is left out of history. I also believe some of the most intimate details that enrich the lives of past influences are always overlooked. For instance, how many art classes are required but the lives of Michaelangelo or Leonardo De Vinci are not discussed. Especially not the homosexual aspects. It's all about their art and what it has done for us historically. What about what inspired the great art, or celebrating the intimacies that were freely allowed back then?

From our surpressed cultured, this would be a part of our American history, yet this post is the first I have ever heard of this custom among the early settlers. I did know about the Ancient Greek, and of course into Roman culture with soldiers and there male accomodations when working for the military which was quite a presitigeous position in the day.

I remember sitting in my philosophy class one day and my teacher was talking about how he didn't see a need to point out homosexual attributes in people of the past. I thought if we sat down and looked at all the people did have homosexual attributes, and what they have contributed, maybe it would open the eyes of straight, choked America today. It would also serve as a great flagstone to the attributes of our little LGBT community, which no doubt could inspire those who are not comfortable coming out, or are out but with limitations, to help expand the awareness and get us all on the same page of acceptance. Equaility is just as relevant today as it has been in the past which hid itself in the forms of slavery, oppression or discrimination.  

Dreamko

Madam AP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 am
TheDollxxHazuki
Historians have reported that the first American settlement was a homosexual community. Being that the ratio of men to women was 6 to 1, (men being 6 and women being one) and men have their urges, the settlers often resorted to gay sex and even marriage in some cases. They adopted (stole) native American children and called them their own wanting to have a family. Of course, when the population of women increased, men denied all "unholy" acts of sodomy and homosexual relations. These acts were often recorded in journals kept by settlers.

American wasn't the first society to be homosexual though. In Ancient Greece, older men often slept with their younger male apprentices. Unlike America, they never denied it, it was a common thing to do and most men with apprentices did it. Also, in ancient Greece, women openly slept together. Being that a woman's sex drive is larger then that of a man, men wouldn't be able to satisfy their wives. Therefore, if a woman's husband wasn't home, she would simply call the neighbor's wife. It was accepted in their society as long as it wasn't a romantic relationship.

Isn't it ironic how America was founded by homosexuals and how our ancestors were perfectly okay with same-sex fornication yet in some states, it's illegal to be openly gay? Isn't ironic how we still can marry? I think that problem is that people don't know this because their afraid to teach it. They say it's offensive, but I think its offensive NOT to teach it.

I actually learned something I wanted to learn today. Thank you. ♥

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 pm
I was happy to learn this. It was an interesting fact. Thank you.

And I agree with you Dreamko, if we are to learn about our nation, we should learn everything. Actually it might help America if we teach the younger kids about homosexuality at a younger age, since then they will know more about it and not be afraid/disturbed by it.  

Used Jello

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm
I told a friend of mine today "In one of the Guilds i'm in I learned something most Americans wouldn't be happy about. The History books left it out."  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:03 pm
Very interesting, I might share it with my friends tomorrow if I think of it ^^  

charged6claw

Friendly Streaker

7,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 am
Interesting facts. Citations would be nice too, but all the same there is a lot in history that isn't written or recorded. After all, history is written by the majority, the winners, and the elite. Seldom do the minority get their full say in.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:25 pm
wow I did not know that... XD

Cool.

the more you know~  

Ants In Your Underpants

Malevolent Friend

25,400 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gaian 50

Najesiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 am
The first politician who is gay, but preaches that homosexuality is bad in our country is our President... mrgreen bah... what a hypocrite 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 pm
There should be a lot of things that should be placed in our history books, not just in the U.S. but everywhere. However, society, in my perspective, may not be ready to take that step so soon.

If anything, what I would like to know mostly from history, is of the people and what they accomplished, not for who they bedded with. However, even that can contradict itself to some degree cause even knowing if a person was transgendered or homosexual, would also help younger generations in knowing that what they experience, how they feel, is not wrong and that we are just as normal as anyone else. And to also show those who don't fall under those categories, that they are just as human as they are and that they are no different and accomplish whatever lays in their path as the next person can.

I'm not huge into sexuality history, moreover transgenders. There have been a couple books in which I've read, and one has stuck out so well which is "Transgender Warriors" written by Leslie Feinberg (who has also written numerous books, and currently I'm trying to read (amongst several other books) "Gender Outlaw: the Next Generation" by Kate Bornstein.
The Transgender Warriors book is pretty much a shortened version of transgenders in history.

If anyone wants to look into the history of anything, all they need to do is use the internet, library, and/or shop online for the things in which they seek.  

FauxZombie

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:39 pm
Remember James Buchanan, the 15th president of the United States? Well, let's just say there was a reason he never married wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 am
Interesting smile I would like to read further into this, do you have any references?  

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

glub glub huge 8itch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:56 pm
Thank you so much for teaching me this! Finally some history that is actually significant...  
Media

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games