Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
Conspiracy Believers... Explain Something? :3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esoteric Apathy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm
On qoute, I was told this by a conspiracy believer.
"We need to worry, the moon is going to fall out of the sky because Hitler possesed George Bush and planned 9.11"

My question is; Do you all eat wall insulation and commit incest daily?
I think alot of info of 9/11 was kept from us, sure, but the moon falling out of the sky? Oh wait, thats right, gravity is only a theory. -.-  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:08 pm
Like in every group some conspersy theorist make no sence at all and are looked down on by the actual people that do make sence  

kikioblack
Vice Captain

Dapper Shapeshifter

25,225 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:31 pm
I don't really think this has to do with being a consperacy theorist, I just think he may have been on something

and no, I do not mean consperacy theorists takes drugs, just this one person  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:30 am
Pent and Ten

and no, I do not mean consperacy theorists takes drugs, just this one person

Agreed.  

Esoteric Apathy

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:07 am
Esoteric Apathy
... but the moon falling out of the sky? Oh wait, thats right, gravity is only a theory. -.-

Sorry, what?

Unless external force is being applied to the system, or by some freak coincidence, our moon, is in perfectly balanced orbit around every other massed object in the universe (which has been thoroughly debunked), then gravity is EXACTLY what causes me to say that yes the moon is not only likely to, but pretty much guaranteed to 'fall out of the sky'. It's been observed in far out solar systems, why would we be immune?

I mean... It's basic projectile motion.
Propel a mass around a bigger mass, and they are going to either collide, or the smaller mass will reach escape velocity and fly away.

So... if the moon reached 11.2 km/s or so, then we'd be fine (minus the loss of tides, etc), but given that it's at about a tenth of that, I'd say a large comet is the only chance of it not hitting us.

Still... a silly thing to worry about, given humanity will be long extinct by the time it does reach us.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:50 am
Meeatu
Esoteric Apathy
... but the moon falling out of the sky? Oh wait, thats right, gravity is only a theory. -.-

Sorry, what?

Unless external force is being applied to the system or by some freak coincidence our moon is in perfectly balanced orbit around every other massed object in the universe (which has been thoroughly debunked), then gravity is EXACTLY what causes me to say that yes the moon is not only likely to, but pretty much guaranteed to 'fall out of the sky'. It's been observed in far out solar systems, why would we be immune?

Propel a mass around a bigger mass, and they are going to either collide, or the smaller mass will reach escape velocity and fly away.

So... if the moon reached 11.2 km/s or so, then we'd be fine (minus the loss of tides, etc), but given that it's at about a tenth of that, I'd say a large comet is the only chance of it not hitting us.

Still... a silly thing to worry about, given humanity will be long extinct by the time it does reach us.
Actually, the moon has been moving away from earth at a rate of about 2 cm per century. It's very very small, but measurable. 3nodding Additionally, the effect of gravity, even by stars or other large messes, of anything outside out solar system is pretty minuscule compare to anything that is in our system. It's comparable to saying that a bowling ball has a greater gravitational pull on a marble than a tennis ball does, given that the tennis ball is two feet away and the bowling ball is two miles away. Even with the considerable difference in mass toward the larger object, it is also a lot farther away and the gravitational force of an object decreases inversely with the square of the distance between the two.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

YaoiBoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am
I just wanted to say how nice it is to have such an informed, intelligent conversation with actual science.
Brava fellow homos!
3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:48 pm
People like to believe that they're smarter than they really are. Feeling that you know something which the politicians/scientists/media don't know or which they are trying to hide but which you alone have discovered is quite an empowering sensation. Makes you feel a bit like you're the hero in a movie.

Now if this kind of empowering curiosity was used in a sensible and focused way - like wanting to find out whether the US has carried out human rights abuses in Afghanistan or discover which multi-national corporations are using child-labour in third world countries - then it might serve some purpose. Unfortunately, the kind of thing most people want to know about are UFOs, Yetis, Vampires, etc  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am
Esoteric Apathy
"We need to worry, the moon is going to fall out of the sky because Hitler possesed George Bush and planned 9.11"

I think alot of info of 9/11 was kept from us, sure, but the moon falling out of the sky? Oh wait, thats right, gravity is only a theory. -.-

I've heard crazier. Here are the craziest conspiracy theories out there:

Homosexual tendencies are caused by the moon falling out of the sky .

Man never landed on the moon. It's not even possible, due to the fact that every invention since the automobile has been a tangible illusion fed to us by the government.

The doomed Franklin Expedition was sent to the Arctic not only to find the Northwest Passage, but to secretly investigate UFO sightings that had been reported since the 1700s. The men were captured, experimented upon, and eaten by giant aliens.

Prince Eddy, Duke of Clarence (and/or Freemasons acting on his behalf) was Jack the Ripper.Hence, Prince Eddy might have killed several prostitues, faked his own death, then resurfaced in Austria as Hitler.

WWII was staged. It never really happened. The Illuminati employed elaborate special effects, stage magic, and phony journalism to scare the world into pacifism.

Gray aliens control the world.

The law does not exist, it's all government lies.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am
Shilberu Erikku
Esoteric Apathy

I've heard crazier. Here are the craziest conspiracy theories out there:

Homosexual tendencies are caused by the moon falling out of the sky .

Man never landed on the moon. It's not even possible, due to the fact that every invention since the automobile has been a tangible illusion fed to us by the government.

The doomed Franklin Expedition was sent to the Arctic not only to find the Northwest Passage, but to secretly investigate UFO sightings that had been reported since the 1700s. The men were captured, experimented upon, and eaten by giant aliens.

Prince Eddy, Duke of Clarence (and/or Freemasons acting on his behalf) was Jack the Ripper.Hence, Prince Eddy might have killed several prostitues, faked his own death, then resurfaced in Austria as Hitler.

WWII was staged. It never really happened. The Illuminati employed elaborate special effects, stage magic, and phony journalism to scare the world into pacifism.

Gray aliens control the world.

The law does not exist, it's all government lies.

You forgot that Michael Jackson faked his own death. Or that all US Presidents are british Royalty. Or that Queen Elizabeth II married a Nazi. Best one yet: Vaccinations can cause Autism. I fought that one for a long time. it always ended with my being a sheep of the flock. Then it came out the guy LIED! And then every last one of those nuts came and apologized to me. Never argue with a medical professional about medical s**t when you're a unemployed by choice.

However, there's always two theories that even hardcore conspiracy lose with me:

Anything involving the Freemasons (been a Mason since 07) or the CIA (My uncle works for the Directorate of Intelligence). They lose every time.

Also: Gravity is not a THEORY, tis a LAW. I HATE that phrase. "Gravity is a theory..."  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:56 am
Gravity itself is just a force - it's only the mathematics that measure the force of gravity that are scientific law, actually ... but I digress. Sure, the US government has done some awful things (as have governments around the world) but there comes a threshold where awful turns into ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm
Le Scratch
The US government has done some awful things (as have governments around the world) but there comes a threshold where awful turns into ridiculous.

Such as?  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 am
Lord Redtail Rathan
Le Scratch
The US government has done some awful things (as have governments around the world) but there comes a threshold where awful turns into ridiculous.
Such as?
The introduction of censoring legislation is an awful thing. Things like PRTOECT IP and the DMCA should never have existed, much less been introduced as potential laws.

Stuff like that in the first post is simply ludicrous though.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:55 am
Le Scratch
Meeatu
Esoteric Apathy

Sorry, what?

Unless external force is being applied to the system or by some freak coincidence our moon is in perfectly balanced orbit around every other massed object in the universe (which has been thoroughly debunked), then gravity is EXACTLY what causes me to say that yes the moon is not only likely to, but pretty much guaranteed to 'fall out of the sky'. It's been observed in far out solar systems, why would we be immune?

Actually, the moon has been moving away from earth at a rate of about 2 cm per century. It's very very small, but measurable. 3nodding Additionally, the effect of gravity, even by stars or other large messes, of anything outside out solar system is pretty minuscule compare to anything that is in our system. It's comparable to saying that a bowling ball has a greater gravitational pull on a marble than a tennis ball does, given that the tennis ball is two feet away and the bowling ball is two miles away. Even with the considerable difference in mass toward the larger object, it is also a lot farther away and the gravitational force of an object decreases inversely with the square of the distance between the two.

Wha...?
It doesn't have nearly enough momentum to be doing that...

Ohhps biggrin
I forgot to factor in tidal friction biggrin
Because one side of the Earth is closer to the moon than the other, it experience a stronger gravitational pull, and causes the Earth to stretch a little. These tidal bulges then exert a gravitational pull on the Moon.

Because the Earth rotates faster than the Moon orbits the bulge tries to speed up the Moon. The Moon is also pulling back on the tidal bulge of the Earth, slowing the Earth's rotation. Thus, energy is being taken out of the Earth, making the Moon's orbit bigger (but, a bit pardoxically, the Moon actually moves slower!).

The Earth's rotation is slowing down because of this. One hundred years from now, the day will be 2 milliseconds longer than it is now.

Regardless, the point still stands however, as tidal friction is a property of gravity, that gravity is indeed the cause for the moon to crash into the Earth (or indeed float away - either way, causing mass extinction to anything remaining on the planet that far in the future).

Mass of objects outside of our solar system is irrelevant, I mentioned meteors, because it is plausible (though unlikely) that this effect could be overpowered by a large comet actually COLLIDING with the moon.  

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
Politics and Debates

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items