Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
The term " Gay" being used in a negitave connotation?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

charged6claw

Friendly Streaker

7,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 pm
I personally don't like it, but I don't let it get to me. When I hear it, I sorta cringe a bit mentally, but let it slide off my back razz Some of my friends say it, one of whom is actually bi herself X3 But they always make sure I know they don't mean to offend me. I like to joke around about my sexuality anyway, 's a somewhat loose, funny thing when I'm around friends.

But when every other word out of someone's bloody mouth is a derogatory homosexual term, that's a different story. >.< I get irritated, and if they're talking to me or are directing this at someone specific, then I tend to have to walk away before I explode. Though it doesn't usually get that bad, so I don't really find any of this that offensive. Jus' let the heteros have their giggles, we'll have the last laugh :3  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 pm
It bugs me sometimes. But then I try to say "that's retarded" instead, and then I think of the retards who can't even defend themselves...There's no end to political correctness.  

Ravyn457

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 pm
What I am getting at when I complain about the use of the word gay, is that it is used in a negative connotation. Gay from merriam webster is: 1: happily excited 2: Bright or Lively 3: Homosexual. Many people OFTEN use the word in other, negative contexts. The definition of negative is:marked by denial, prohibition, or refusal. Basically by using gay in a negative connotation people are refusing, prohibiting, and denyng the actual meaning of the term. My friend saying, " that's gay" when i tell her about my sh**ty day is her incorrectly, negativly using the word, gay. Society as a whole needs to be aware of actuall meaning along with millions of peoples fellings, the need moral
Dusty-Boy
The rights of man cannot be sacrificed for the comfort of man. this means that we can not and shall not sacrifice language for the sake of comfort.. that would be.. shall I say... pretty damned gay.

Understand that if you want the word to stop being associated with homosexuality understand that the use of this word, Gay, is no longer used in reference to homosexuality when used in this context (Unless used as a word to directly correlate to homosexual topics, but even then it can be used without being directed.)

It's pretty gay that I can't marry a member of the same sex.

Words often gain multiple meanings, we no longer live in a time of literal-linguistic domination.

Personally I am offended at how people will freely rip my wording out of context based on their disgustingly oppressive view of tolerance. Political Correctness is a system of intolerance of 90% of viewpoints in traditionalist cultures... If you want to live in a world that accepts you for your choices and personality then accept others. Understand that some people are just going to live their lifestyle and speak the way that they feel comfortable.. don't hate them for their choice in words.

I've seen people use what I'm forced by "Political Correctness" to refer to as "The 'N' Word" as an insult when they themselves are not actually racist in any detectable manner.

The world does not belong to minorities, it is just inhabited by them. Homosexuality is not even a group, it's simply a preference (Didn't say choice, I said preference so don't condemn that language without a quote from Webster's)

By rule of thumb, it is generally ruled that the ruler is a great measuring device... and our ruler, king bill, states that standardized measurements RULE!!!!

There were four meanings of that same word in my statement. all of which are more or less independent of one another. and you've differentiated them all. So there are different meanings to the word "Gay"

Man, this day is delightfully gay, only that rowdy gay pride rally is protesting in a rather unprofessional manner today, and that's pretty gay.

Another one right there... if you can't see the three meanings then you're not intelligent enough to even rightfully participate in a speech changing movement.

Fun fact, did you know that the term "Nigardly" is not at all related to the "N word"... but try using it in public.

The general ignorance of my peers is what makes me so outspoken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:37 pm
Dusty-Boy
The rights of man cannot be sacrificed for the comfort of man. this means that we can not and shall not sacrifice language for the sake of comfort.. that would be.. shall I say... pretty damned gay.

Understand that if you want the word to stop being associated with homosexuality understand that the use of this word, Gay, is no longer used in reference to homosexuality when used in this context (Unless used as a word to directly correlate to homosexual topics, but even then it can be used without being directed.)

It's pretty gay that I can't marry a member of the same sex.

Words often gain multiple meanings, we no longer live in a time of literal-linguistic domination.

Personally I am offended at how people will freely rip my wording out of context based on their disgustingly oppressive view of tolerance. Political Correctness is a system of intolerance of 90% of viewpoints in traditionalist cultures... If you want to live in a world that accepts you for your choices and personality then accept others. Understand that some people are just going to live their lifestyle and speak the way that they feel comfortable.. don't hate them for their choice in words.

I've seen people use what I'm forced by "Political Correctness" to refer to as "The 'N' Word" as an insult when they themselves are not actually racist in any detectable manner.

The world does not belong to minorities, it is just inhabited by them. Homosexuality is not even a group, it's simply a preference (Didn't say choice, I said preference so don't condemn that language without a quote from Webster's)

By rule of thumb, it is generally ruled that the ruler is a great measuring device... and our ruler, king bill, states that standardized measurements RULE!!!!

There were four meanings of that same word in my statement. all of which are more or less independent of one another. and you've differentiated them all. So there are different meanings to the word "Gay"

Man, this day is delightfully gay, only that rowdy gay pride rally is protesting in a rather unprofessional manner today, and that's pretty gay.

Another one right there... if you can't see the three meanings then you're not intelligent enough to even rightfully participate in a speech changing movement.

Fun fact, did you know that the term "Nigardly" is not at all related to the "N word"... but try using it in public.

The general ignorance of my peers is what makes me so outspoken.

If this were used in a face to face argument, I would kiss you on the mouth for being the first person to hit the nail on the head.  

Don Caballero

Politics and Debates

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces