Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I am in an awkward situation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:25 pm
To set the scene: I grew up where I'm living at the moment, so all my good friends live in this area still, too. I moved away for two years for work, and only saw them like twice in those two years, because I was so far away. I've now moved back here temporarily.

So I've run into my friend Josh and his girlfriend Kristie one day when I'm back here, and I was all super excited to see him 'cause he was one of my closest friends when I was growing up. We decide to catch up and meet for coffee the next day and ended up talking for hours because we had so much to catch up on. While we're talking, we decide to go to Brisbane together to see the rest of our group of friends, since I hadn't seen them either since I'd moved back.

We go to Brisbane together and while we're there, Josh gets a million calls from Kristie, as if she was checking up on him constantly. As soon as I got on Facebook when I got home, Kristie starts chatting to me, asking everything we did that weekend, which is odd because Kristie and I were never really close friends or anything, more just acquaintances through Josh - plus, I'd been gone for 2 years so I'd pretty much never seen her. I was getting a vibe that she didn't trust him or me together.

A few weeks later, Josh and Kristie break up after like 3 years of dating. For some reason, she comes crying to me about it :/ I don't mind listening and being a shoulder for her to cry on, but it feels like a bit of a conflict of interest for me, since Josh is my main concern being one of my closest friends, and I hardly know her. She is constantly asking me a million questions - if I've seen him, if I've spoken to him, what we've spoken about. I was still getting that vibe off her that she doesn't trust us together, so I finally put it straight to her and said that if she was worried about anything happening between Josh and I, it would have happened back when we were in highschool, and that we're just mates. That made her fess up and admit she was worried he'd broken up with her because of me, what with the timing with me moving back and us spending time together.

So basically it's a whole bunch of awkward now, I've got stuck in the middle of a situation I had nothing to do with - not to mention I hardly know this girl. Josh and I are going to Brisbane together tomorrow for the rest of the week, to look for jobs there and spend time with our friends. I'm hoping it doesn't add fuel to the fire.
How unlucky am I? I'm not even in a relationship and I still get caught up in relationship blues.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 pm
Lame.

Some people really need to learn to trust their partners when they are in a realtionship. I mean come on people talk2hand just cause your friends with someone doesn't mean your going to shag with em and ruin a relationship.  

wo_nyrmo

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 am
There's an old radio drama about a woman who was so obsessed with the thought that her husband was in love with her sister, she attempted to kill them. When the plan failed, her husband said, "There was never anything going on between your sister and me. It wasn't until you tried to kill me that I realized I didn't want to be with you."

If you ask me, it sounds like she brought this on herself. She probably gave him ten times the interrogation she gave you, and without the politeness of a stranger. That would drive any man to hate the woman he was interested in before. It's a lesson she'll have to learn on her own.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am
That kinda sucks, I'd just stop talking to her >_>;
Did she have the crazy eyes?

I got something vaguely similar to that a while back. At a party this guy came up to me, who I didn't even know, and was like "Stay away from my girl bro!".
I don't know who his girlfriend was but I was a little flattered that he felt threatened by me to be honest.  

scrub
Crew

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am
Might be that there's a side to the story you haven't heard yet? Not that I'm siding with the girl (she does sound very jealous and insecure), but what if Josh had a history of flirting harmlessly/he had been losing interest in her and she had sensed it/etc?

Just saying...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 am
Lychee Fruit
"It wasn't until you tried to kill me that I realized I didn't want to be with you."

That's a pretty good reason. lol

That sucks. I don't know what to tell you. I don't understand people. I never understood why it was a problem to have friends of the same gender you are attracted to. rolleyes  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

JadeDMW

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 am
my guess is that there were problems in the relationship before you came back into the picture, i wouldnt worry bout that in and of itself. Now as to why she is goin to you for confort. hmm could be she knows he will talk to you and she wants to get more info bout him cause she wasnt the one to do the breaking up?? i dont know who broke it off but if he did because of her "guard dogging him for years" then that could be the reason. and i don t know what to tell you. i so wish i did.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm
I think I agree with JadeDMW. It sounds plausible, especially since you did say that she asked about him a lot. I guess I would just try to be polite to the girl...though I'm not very good at awkward situations.

Szen...I don't understand it either! I'm friends with some guys and I can't imagine that being a problem. It just seems odd.  

Annai-chansan

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm
Tread lightly, here; you really don't know if he broke up with her for you, do you?

Also, I think you may need to give that girl her distance if you think that she's implicitly blaming you for the breakup, especially since she's trying to be unusually close.

At the same time you may not have anything to do with it; you could have just come back at the wrong time, while there was trouble in paradise. Who's to say. Could be one, the other, both?

Relationships are so weird, like that. /:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 am
Lychee: Wtf?! That's insane. Some people shouldn't be allowed in society >_>

Scrub: Come to think of it... She might have the crazy eyes! I wish I could stop talking to her, at least until she stops being all weirdly friendly to me, but she's kind of still included in our circle of friends, I don't want to be a b***h :/

Mynk: I'm pretty positive that's not the case, if anyone was unstable in that relationship, it was definitely her.

Jade: Yeah she seems to keep wanting to know what he's talked about with me. It's just kind of annoying though, if she is snooping on Josh through me, I don't want that to be the case because Josh was my friend long before her, I care about Josh's privacy and I don't want to tell her something he wouldn't tell her himself.

Nexus: I'm positive he didn't break up with her for me, lol. As great as we are as friends, we would make a horrendous couple xD I'm trying to distance myself from her, but every time we're on Facebook at the same time, she starts messaging me and won't stop D: I've even resorted to going offline without replying and later saying that my phone didn't send the messages through instantly and stuff. It's gotten to a point where she's also telling another friend of mine that she thinks he broke up with her for me (after I reassured her this wasn't the case). Luckily I'd already filled my friend in, and she told her the same thing I told her. It's kind of pissing me off a little :/  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces