Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
If you were ever depressed & have a story, come here.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

catsoon

Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:24 pm
Hi girls <3

So I'm doing a school project for health, and we have to make an informative pamphlet on a subject of our choice. I chose Depression.

In one section of it, we have to have a true 'story' from someone. I've struggled with depression, still do, but I don't really want to tell my story, because knowing myself, I'd probably start crying while presenting my pamphlet.

So I was wondering if any of you lovely girls who have ever suffered from depression, or still do, would possibly write me a little 1-2 paragraph story about your struggles for my pamphlet? I won't use your name or anything, don't worry.

I know I could always just look up a story online... but IDK. Something about that feels so... artificial & unpersonal.

I know that's a lot to ask... sweatdrop But... if you do, I'll be really really happy? Dx Please? It's due tomorrow D;

If anyone actually does this, then thanks <3

Note: I'm posting this here because it might be overlooked in the School subforum. I'll move it when I'm done ^^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 pm
heart

Anyone? PLEASE?! <3

catsoon

Friend

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:09 pm
I have depression, and my mom refuses to acknowledge it. But it's hell. I basically have to put on some "Mask" thing. It's basically a fake personality: cheery, happy- go- lucky.
When I wanna cry any second.
Funny thing is, i actually use this personality anywhere (yes, this means online.)

I hope you find someone!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm
GothicGrave13
-

Oh, I see what you did there.
Thanks sweetie! <3
&& good luck with your mom... <3

catsoon

Friend

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 pm
Fouxia
GothicGrave13
-

Thanks sweetie! <3

thanks. And it's funny, because she's a doctor. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 pm
GothicGrave13
Fouxia
GothicGrave13
-

Thanks sweetie! <3

Parents can be so blind to their own kids needs sometimes >=(
Imma send you a gift for helping me out 4laugh It's not much but it's something ♥

catsoon

Friend

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:48 pm
Fouxia
GothicGrave13
Fouxia
GothicGrave13
-

Thanks sweetie! <3

Parents can be so blind to their own kids needs sometimes >=(
Imma send you a gift for helping me out 4laugh It's not much but it's something ♥

Ribbon!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm
I used to. I might still have it.
I dunno.
It used to be really bad, but my mom denied it too.
She wants me to be perfect because she's not, so we went to psychologist on the doctor's suggestion, but I faked my way into being "Okay enough".
So my Mom of course was proud because the doctor's 'bullshit' was wrong.
But I don't think my 'random' personality is just because I'm a 'random' person.
But I am super happy some days. Those are great days. But the next day I'm unbelievably blah.  

alienli

Friendly Tipper

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 am
@Utziel; that might be a mild case of manic depression (bipolar) -- or just being a normal, perfectly imperfect human being.

I'm a little iffy with depression being misdiagnosed by the thousands, if not moreso. (especially in children!)
Many cases are actually a deprivation of vitamins -- particularly a lack of D or B12.
Without enough sunlight or enriched foods (veggies, fruits, some meats) most people will lapse into bouts of "depression" - low energy, foul moods, suicidal tendencies, etc.

How do I know this? I was very misdiagnosed with anxiety and depression this year.
In reality I was just stressed out by tons of classwork and graduation/honors requirements.
They put me on pills that did nothing. I took them for a good number of months (when they were supposed to really "kick in") but they only made things worse.

What seriously helped was a more balanced diet, vitamin supplements (necessary during Oregon winters,) and a good amount of prayer and meditation.

Honestly I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but doctors do get a good percentage of each drug prescription -- my good, ethical doctor was on maternity leave and the other guy basically mocked me for being wary about anti-depressing/anxiety drugs. My new doctor is back and says that those pills do work for extreme cases that are brain chemical problems but should not be prescribed for temporary stress caused illness.

On another note: depression is a very real thing and isn't temporary at all. I haven't been clinically depressed, ever, but I'm friends with those who have.
It's discerning to watch a totally happy, go-lucky person to suddenly sink into this dark place that they're stuck in for weeks, months, even years at a time.
It's more than being down in the dumps sometimes then happy again. Depression takes people over, pulls them down and locks them up. Drugs sometimes make sense then, I think, if nothing else is helping.

"True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for a long period of time." - PubMedHealth

Sorry for not really providing a good story! But hopefully all of that will help discern clinical depression for normal, short term stress and understandable response to trauma. =)

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games