Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Game Masters Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: writing, stories, character, development, feedback 

Reply General Discussion
What do you do when realize your character is a Mary Sue?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm
Personally, I always trying to do what I can to give them more 'human' traits in order contrast and give them more depth. Nothing is more boring to the reader than a character that never grows up or matures  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 pm
Sometimes I just give up and completely rewrite the character.  

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

Drathi

Beloved Mage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm
The part about having a character who never truly developing that appeals to me is the fact that I've tried experimenting ways to make it seem like a character is developing, but then go, "Nah, in the end he's stuck in his ways."

Not every character HAS to go through some transformation. I like making protagonists that aren't very likeable at times.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm
I go back and make the mary-sueness more subtle and then add in a couple of plot twists and what not to bring the character back down to earth without damaging the persona I originally had in mind or making it unrealistic. SO basically what
Koiyuki said ;D  

Music For Hamsters

angelmage99

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:36 am
When I start a character, even a minor one, I ask myself what will be the purpose of that character and is it necessary for me to create that character. Some times I want a character because I want to write about a certain personality type. Try to dash those.

Second I think about what are the basic needs in order for the character to fit into the story and how those personality, history, and qualities. Often that is all you really need to create a story. Though it's good to start with just that then have the character grow from there.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm
When I find a Mary-Sue character in my midst, I usually try to rewrite their personality, but still keep some of their less Sue-like traits. Either that, or I shrink their part to that of an extremely minor character and then... -insert drumroll here- ... I kill them off.  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Gurotsuki

Scurvy Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 am
I'll redo the character's sheet.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:57 pm
Depends. I've been known to completely re-write a piece because of sue characters, sometimes I just kill them off and most of the time I go back and re-write pars of the story to get rid of the sue-ness.  

vampiremistress702

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Heimdal the Ancient

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm
You know...sometimes a story just calls for a 'Mary Sue'. It's what you do with the character that counts.

Personally, I feel this chick nailed it on the head: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/589

So, even if you feel it's a "Sue", look at the story, and look at their significance before you flip out or anything.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 pm
It depends on the skill level of the writer and the story itself really. Mary sues can work in certain situations.  

kerushii-sushi

Starrymite

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 am
Kill them off (:  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:07 am
Editing.

a character is only as good as you can write them: a mary-sue is just an excuse for poor/unpolished writing.

Take any character out of the context of their story and break them down, chances are they would be called a mary sue.... Or so I've come to believe.  

A-Q-Kabuto

Dangerous Cleric

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 pm
Mary Sues are only Mary Sues if they don't work within the context of the story.

Seriously, if they work, aren't rediculous within the context of the setting, and other characters react to their actions like a normal person within the setting would, they aren't a Sue.

Now, as for me? I mostly just see why they're Sueish and try to fix that.  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games