Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pictures
Yearling garter snakes.. (large pictures)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm
I don't know who all read about my new baby snakes.. but they all died. But the yearlings are all still alive! So.. since I didn't get around to taking any pictures of the new ones, I figured I'd take some pictures of the older ones! Yay for a happier note! biggrin

For size reference, that's a paper towel tube and I think the tank is a 5 gallon. But they've gotten SOOO big. I'm so proud of them all. AND they're all up to being able to eat a whole pinkie, so no more having to chop them in half for me, yaaaay!

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 pm
cute snakes, i have always wanted snakes but i have never had any before and i am a cat person at heart 3nodding  

SpiceItUp9

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 pm
I also have two cats. biggrin But I need to take new pictures of them...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 pm
Aw, they look cute. I love the third picture, what with the expression on their faces. I also like that picture when one of them was checking out the water dish/slithering all over there.

Are you sure it's safe to co-hab them? Especially since their tank is rather small. Most herpers I know frown on co-housing for snakes. Aren't you afraid they'll inbreed? At nearly one year old, they're approaching sexual maturity.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm
Garter snakes are apparently very good at co-habing. And I feed all of them outside of the tank, so there's never any chance for fighting over food (or me getting my fingers bitten). And there's plenty of room for them to all slither and hide. But yes, planning on moving them up to 10 or 20 gallon tank. Hoping to put the parents into a 40 gallon. Or maybe just get another 10 gallon... since I really need to separate the parents. Don't want anymore babies.

I'm still working all that out. I need to separate the genders of the babies too, thinking to put the males with the dad and keep mom alone (since I'm scared she'd try to eat them since they're so small)..

One of the baby slithers is still a question to me of what gender it is. I know we at least have one girl and one boy. But the other.. I just gotta actually sit down and look well at them all. I'll try my best to put them in decent size tanks for what they need though.

If I ever get around to learning how to build stuff, I might be able to just build a cage-case... like a bookcase, but it houses cages. Their tanks are currently on two short bookcases in my office on the opposite wall from me.. And there'd definitely be enough room to build something really tall that could hold 4 tanks of varying sizes. Just more stuff I'm looking into. smile
And yes, the slithers come before the puppy. It wouldn't be fair to back burner them just because of something new and fun.  
Pictures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games