Submit

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 pm
I much rather get into entomology instead of veterinary technology but its not offered. crying

My roach colonies

Hissers

User Image
User Image

Lobsters

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Mealies

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:49 pm
This made my skin crawl! XD

Aside from that though, that's awesome that you have them as pets, I've never known of anyone with them as pets! n_n

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 am
Intoxikace
This made my skin crawl! XD

Aside from that though, that's awesome that you have them as pets, I've never known of anyone with them as pets! n_n

Well they are pets/feeders for my reptiles but i like them and feel bad when some become food but they are by far better then crickets altho the hissers are too crunchy in my opinion so i don't feed those off.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 am
Despite the fact that I'm terrified of roaches I do have a special place in my heart for hissers.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 am
I'm not a big bug persona, but i don't think hissers are interesting, my cousin had some to show kids on programs.... have any of yours gotten to the point where they wont hiss when they are picked up?

she had to have like two groups because they would get use to being handled and wouldn't hiss for the kids.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 pm
Mistress of Rain
I'm not a big bug persona, but i don't think hissers are interesting, my cousin had some to show kids on programs.... have any of yours gotten to the point where they wont hiss when they are picked up?

she had to have like two groups because they would get use to being handled and wouldn't hiss for the kids.

Ya they get used to handling which i don't mind, i just find them fun to hold and its interesting to watch the males spar with each other.

The lobsters are faster though and panic and run everywhere when i try to pick em up.  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm
An odd question, but if you don't feed your hissers to your pets, what keeps their population to reasonable numbers? I'd imagine if it gets too big the hissers will start cannibalizing one another. Though, it's just a guess.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 pm
Moth Feathers
An odd question, but if you don't feed your hissers to your pets, what keeps their population to reasonable numbers? I'd imagine if it gets too big the hissers will start cannibalizing one another. Though, it's just a guess.

I sell them and i feed the babies off, they aren't as crunchy yet. The newly molted ones are a fave treat for my anoles and leos.  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 pm
I do the same thing with my Hissers. I have never run into any cannibalizing, though they get a lot of protein... I feed mine primarily dog food (grain-free) as a way of sort of gut loading because even though they are QUITE crunchy my gliders still love them.

I mostly feed Jack, the Leopard Gecko, juvenile Hissers to the point he has become spoiled and doesn't even want to eat mealworms, even though I raise those too. The little lizards get the watermelon seed-sized babies.

I sell all sizes, though most I sell are adults for pets. Some buy for reptiles though (and a few of us crazy sugar glider people that buy them as treats for the suggies)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:19 am
Kipluck
I do the same thing with my Hissers. I have never run into any cannibalizing, though they get a lot of protein... I feed mine primarily dog food (grain-free) as a way of sort of gut loading because even though they are QUITE crunchy my gliders still love them.

I mostly feed Jack, the Leopard Gecko, juvenile Hissers to the point he has become spoiled and doesn't even want to eat mealworms, even though I raise those too. The little lizards get the watermelon seed-sized babies.

I sell all sizes, though most I sell are adults for pets. Some buy for reptiles though (and a few of us crazy sugar glider people that buy them as treats for the suggies)

Have you ever tried one? When i was at the store one night these 2 guys came in and were lookin at them and one guy bet the other 20 bucks to eat one, and bought one and the guy ate one right in front of his friend and me. His friend never gave him the 20 either. He said it wasn't bad and tasted like butter.
I haven't but i watch that Bizarre Foods show on the travel channel and the stuff he eats is fascinating but i feel bad for the bugs. sweatdrop  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:10 pm
ladycrotalus
Kipluck

Have you ever tried one? When i was at the store one night these 2 guys came in and were lookin at them and one guy bet the other 20 bucks to eat one, and bought one and the guy ate one right in front of his friend and me. His friend never gave him the 20 either. He said it wasn't bad and tasted like butter.
I haven't but i watch that Bizarre Foods show on the travel channel and the stuff he eats is fascinating but i feel bad for the bugs. sweatdrop
I have eaten crickets (chocolate covered) and mealworms (cooked and dusted with nacho powder of all things... we give them to the 4th graders at work) but I don't think a mere 20 bucks could persuade me to eat a hisser. Way too much TO them if you know what I mean. A couple years back 6 Flags gave people passes to jump to the front of lines for eating them. *shudder*

It is not that I would not eat them for ANY amount of money... I am a struggling student after all... but I think I'd have to get, like, a whole semester paid off for it or something. hee hee!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:49 pm
Nice looking creepy crawlies. I raised crickets for a time for an ex's frogs. I'd like to raise mealies for the chickens but idk if I have the patience. I don't like wild roaches (though I tolerated them at the aquarium and should be used to them.) but hissers seem very neat.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Pictures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items