Is the term Girl Gamer sexist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Summer Cherries-

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 pm
The placement of the descriptor "girl" in front of "gamer" is rooted in the idea that gaming is a male domain (we don't refer to male gamers as "boy gamers" - we just call them "gamers"). This isn't limited to just gaming; we tack on these distinguishing identifiers to anyone or anything that doesn't quite align with our prevailing image of the typical member of a particular category.

That said, I don't think being identified as a girl gamer is problematic. If anything, it helps gives visibility to a rapidly growing demographic that is still largely ignored by both the majority group and the producers of the games.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 am
I don't think its sexist no, mainly because I see more girls calling themselves that than I've ever heard males use the term. I'm mostly tired of the argument about who is a REAL girl gamer. Like if you haven't played every single game pc & console you're not as hardcore as some other girl gamers. You should have seen some of the cat fighting going on in the Maxim Magazine's boards for the Gamer Girl contest. I was voting for panzer on youtube and people were like "she's not a real girl gamer because she only does WoW videos!" Seriously? Who cares.  

Mishi Love

Benevolent Loiterer

10,275 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 pm
-Do you think the term girl gamer is sexist?
-Do you think that if girls stopped using the term girl gamer, the sexism would stop or would it just continue as if the word never existed.
-What should girl gamers call themselves if girl gamer is sexist? Mind you can't say gamer because there are many different types of gamers spanning different demographics?

Eh. I mean. Okay I kinda think it does but it's not. You're a gamer. Why does it matter what gender you are? Of course you should be open and happy to label yourself as a girl and stuff, but as a gamer I don't feel the need to call myself a "girl gamer". I guess it's just unnecessary to me, personally. I don't think it's offensive or bad to call yourself a girl gamer, though.

Dropping the phrase isn't going to change anyone's behavior, unfortunately. People will be asshats no matter what. However calling yourself a gamer instead of a girl gamer will tell people that yeah, I play videogames, no that doesn't mean I'm separate from the guys who do it.

Like, okay, what the hell else is a person gonna call themself besides a girl gamer than a gamer? Like, guys are a specific demographic they're not like "I'm a guy gamer." people of different ethnicities are specific demographics and though some might say they're a "Mexican gamer" or "Irish gamer", I doubt they really say it that often, and I doubt the majority of the demographic feels the need to constantly identify as it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:20 pm
User Image

Personally, I don't think the term "girl gamer" or "female gamer" is sexist. In fact, it seems girls are actually proud to claim they are "female gamers". See, being a gamer usually denotes males. So, to be classified as a gamer and female is an accomplishment. But on the flip-side, it makes it seem like girls who play video games are different from guys. But think about the games geared towards each gender. They are very different. I will admit I like Cooking Mama and fashion games, but I enjoy Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry more.

For me, I just call myself a gamer. I only use the term "female gamer" when people say that "female gamers don't exist." Another thing is that occasionally I meet a guy who is shocked to find out I play video games. I was in the dorms once and a girl passed by room playing a PSP playing Madden. A guy got so excited by the fact she was playing Madden.

For your last question, you can't have a special term for girl gamers. Gamers are just gamers, despite gender, race, or age.

My main problem is actually the term "gamer". There is such a debate over what makes a gamer, a gamer. Some people claim you are a gamer if you play certain games or a lot of games. I believe you are a gamer if like to play video games. I say we should get rid of the terms "hard core gamer" and "casual gamer".

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Lozzieful

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:34 pm
I agree with a lot of the folk here in that I really see nothing wrong with the term; if you're a girl who plays games, then you're a girl gamer. (Much in the same way that a girl who is a friend is referred to as a girlfriend.)

The term does not provoke sexism. Idiots would still be idiots. They see a female character/avatar, then that's enough to provoke the sexist "tits or gtfo" rubbish. Does that then, make the female characters sexist? No, not at all.

At the end of the day, a gamer is a gamer. If the term 'gamer' spans different demographics, then so too does the term 'girl gamer'. So yeah, as already stated by Rubai; Gamers are just gamers, regardless of gender, race, or age.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm
No I don’t think so, to me its just a name and shouldn’t be taken offensively. The only problem I have with "girl gamer" is when girls make a big deal out of it. If you're a girl that plays games cool but no one said girls are allowed to play video games. You should have the confidence in yourself to not have to prove yourself to anyone 3nodding  

Lady GagaNYC

Tipsy Citizen

9,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100

StrayKit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm
i've always called anyone who plays videogames a gamer. my brother, my guy friends, my girl firends, all of them. and actually i find a lot of people, at least while i've been at college, really love having girls openly admit that they video game. girls and boys alike seem to like hearing that it isn't just guys playing games, hell my brother has gamed with some girl friends and really enjoyed them in whatever they were doing and my gril friends who game get their groups they game with to not even bat an eye at their gender. some people just want to point out that they're girls and gamers. is it good or bad? i don't think that it's either really, i think it'd only be sexist if people were saying girls weren't as good as guys at gaming, or that girls shouldn't play video games(which i unfortunately have heard before). but no, i don't see "girl gamer" as sexist  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff