Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So, Sony...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 am
I'm sure everyone's heard the news by now that Sony PSN was hacked for the second time this month.

I have just heard that the PSN did not go down because of the hackers - Sony have admitted they took the PSN down themselves. Instead, the hackers intention was identity theft and Sony took the network down because it is now a "crime scene". I heard something like 77 million accounts and information has been stolen, including names, addresses and credit card information.

Sucks to own a PS3 right now.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 am
wow i didn't even know about this. I have all last gen stuff (other then my DS).

I do have Xbox live on by boyfriends Xbox tho....and even tho this was something that happened to PS3 users, it still makes me happy that i use the cards and don't put credit card info on those type of things.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

Phaeton 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:42 pm
Eh, I just don't use network stuff like that. If it requires money and account information, it probably isn't worth it. Like Xbox Live for example. Gold membership is a waste of money. You still have access to downloads and demos without it. You just don't get to play games with online multiplayer, cause that's just the best thing in the world.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:48 pm
Don't got a PS3, wanted one, still kinda' want one, sucks horribly though. Wonder how much PS3s will be after this...

Anyone know if Valve will stop that Steam thing they had planned?  

Supar Ingimon

Toxic Fatcat

Aaditya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:59 pm
The CC info was encrypted so hopefully I don't have to deal with identity theft. They're rebuilding the PSN software from the ground up to prevent future hacks. Hopefully it works.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/27/sony-new-ps3-firmware-to-accompany-psn-relaunch-network-being/  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm
I found out about this awhile ago, but i am rather pissed off with Sony as a whole at the moment. They waited until this morning to send out e-mails to all accounts that might be affected. That's 9 days after this all happened. Not impressed.  

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

Katarica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm
I've been pretty pissed about it since I found out what happened. Really I started to get irritated when I couldn't log into Netflix to finish up an anime I had been watching. Every time I think about it I just get furious!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 am
I heard about that D:
I'm kind of pissed about this. Me and my boyfriend have a ******** acount.

I'm happy that I never used a credit card with it. At least that.

Drunken Echoes

Sunday Morning Hangover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 am
-is a 360 owner-

Really sucks for PS3 gamers, but you guys are always the ones bragging about free live.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 pm
I'm strangely content. Whatever happens, happens. But.... PSN was attacked a first time this month? I never noticed.  

Superna Zherom

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm
Superna Zherom
I'm strangely content. Whatever happens, happens. But.... PSN was attacked a first time this month? I never noticed.

"Anonymous" hacked them on April 4th apparently. I'm not sure what they did, but everyone assumed this second hacking was also by them. They've been denying this one from the start.

Shanni: Yeah I think that was really bad of them, they should have let everyone know straight away. I know people who have been cancelling their credit cards and stuff, but the hackers have already had 9 days to do what they wanted with whatever information they gained.

Personally, I think this whole situation is funny and ironic. Sad of course for the users who've been exploited unfairly from this, but funny because of what the Sony CEO was recently saying about Microsoft and Nintendo. Talk about karma.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 pm
I have no info about me on my PSN account, all I do is use it to update my PS3's firmware and I have browsed Gaia with it once or twice ( the password I used was not remembered and even then I've changed it fifteen times since I last browsed Gaia on my PS3 ) and this has just made it worse for that guy who decided he didn't like Sony's new no-homebrew rule. Now they'll link him to annonymous, directly or not it won't matter the guy is already going to be credited to being a member of the worlds notorious hacktavist group. I'm going to keep my opinion about weither Sony has broken laws of privacy to myself because I'm not sure if it's accurate or not. xd  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 pm
de.Lici.ous
Superna Zherom

"Anonymous" hacked them on April 4th apparently. I'm not sure what they did, but everyone assumed this second hacking was also by them. They've been denying this one from the start.

Shanni: Yeah I think that was really bad of them, they should have let everyone know straight away. I know people who have been cancelling their credit cards and stuff, but the hackers have already had 9 days to do what they wanted with whatever information they gained.

Personally, I think this whole situation is funny and ironic. Sad of course for the users who've been exploited unfairly from this, but funny because of what the Sony CEO was recently saying about Microsoft and Nintendo. Talk about karma.

Anonymous wasn't behind the hacking for personal info. They don't really do that from what i have noticed.
I am a little worried, because hubby has bought things from the PSN.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 am
coldheartedangel
de.Lici.ous
Superna Zherom

Anonymous wasn't behind the hacking for personal info. They don't really do that from what i have noticed.
I am a little worried, because hubby has bought things from the PSN.

The sole reason behind anonymous hacking is to further implement themselves into a situation wether that be for personal information so that they can take further measures to address the people they want to affect or just to troll.
Then again, anyone could've done this instead of 'Anonymous'. An actual enigmatic figure ; D  

Dilemical Epiphany

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff