Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Rushie caught her 1st bunny! Update- more rabbits and mice Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imderanged

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 pm
Skeksis
imderanged
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get all worked up & cuss you out as another poster did, but it did make me wonder... why does the idea of feeding live prey to reptiles make this guild go mad, but this is OK? I'm just curious.

I suspect you'll get a variety of answers, ethics and morals being pretty personal and all. I can only give you my stance:

Live feeding doesn't sit well with me for a number of reasons. The foremost being the manner in which injury and distress to both predator and prey is so immensely increased. Neither can escape from the situation should they feel the need to. Both the ferts and dog can jack if they feel outclassed by something in these hunts...neither are ever forced into a situation. Reptile in a box can't do that. It's the reason I wouldn't drop one of my ferrets in a box with a live rabbit; the fert would get the stuffing kicked out of it. Would probably still kill the rabbit, but it would be a very wretched affair for both. And completely unecessary to boot. The objectives of my hunts are to obtain meat and for pest control, respectively. The methods I use are just whatever is most appropriate to the situation at hand.

That's my reasoning. 3nodding

This seems to me to be a well thought out response, even if I don't completely agree. The distinction between hunting in the field and the predator and prey being confined in a box seems reasonable. Personally I would still be concerned about the diseases and parasites my pets would be exposed to if they were allowed to eat wild animals. In addition , I've never seen a ferret hunt, but I've seen a dog attack a small animal and, in my opinion, it does not seem like a humane way to hunt. It is just not something I would choose to do. But these are MY opinions, and I respect that you took the time to give me a calm reasoned response.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:22 pm
imderanged
Skeksis
imderanged
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get all worked up & cuss you out as another poster did, but it did make me wonder... why does the idea of feeding live prey to reptiles make this guild go mad, but this is OK? I'm just curious.

I suspect you'll get a variety of answers, ethics and morals being pretty personal and all. I can only give you my stance:

Live feeding doesn't sit well with me for a number of reasons. The foremost being the manner in which injury and distress to both predator and prey is so immensely increased. Neither can escape from the situation should they feel the need to. Both the ferts and dog can jack if they feel outclassed by something in these hunts...neither are ever forced into a situation. Reptile in a box can't do that. It's the reason I wouldn't drop one of my ferrets in a box with a live rabbit; the fert would get the stuffing kicked out of it. Would probably still kill the rabbit, but it would be a very wretched affair for both. And completely unecessary to boot. The objectives of my hunts are to obtain meat and for pest control, respectively. The methods I use are just whatever is most appropriate to the situation at hand.

That's my reasoning. 3nodding

This seems to me to be a well thought out response, even if I don't completely agree. The distinction between hunting in the field and the predator and prey being confined in a box seems reasonable. Personally I would still be concerned about the diseases and parasites my pets would be exposed to if they were allowed to eat wild animals. In addition , I've never seen a ferret hunt, but I've seen a dog attack a small animal and, in my opinion, it does not seem like a humane way to hunt. It is just not something I would choose to do. But these are MY opinions, and I respect that you took the time to give me a calm reasoned response.

My guys are wormed regularly and I always knock the guts out of the bunnies. Rabbit fleas of course won't stay on a dog or ferret- in 9 years I've never had a problem with parasites of any type in my ferrets, my old dog [couldn't catch a cold but she sure loved tagging along anyway] or Rushie. My pup is more at risk of picking up parasites and diseases from her doggy pals and from public venues than from the rabbits. smile
Rushie is not allowed to 'attack' or maul a rabbit...she has two options; she can either retrieve it live to hand [I will then kill it], or she is allowed to shake it upon catching it, which results in a quick death. Thankyou also for your response and civility. 3nodding  

Skeksis

Skeksis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:31 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
wow Rushie! that second rabbit is HUGE!!! good job,sounds like you have a good pair,good gads,what if you had TWO dogs,you would get soooo many rabbits! how old is Rushie now??

I am just so happy with both of them; Roland is the second best hunting fert I've ever had and Rushie is exceeding all expectations. She's 10 months old so should get faster yet. 3nodding

Hmm...two dogs. ninja That will happen later on down the track but I'm having/ will have a hard time deciding what I want to get. I would love an ex racing grey but can't hunt with those. Love those beautiful black and tan kangaroo dogs, love hardbloods, love salukis, love staghounds...ugh. You see the issue, haha.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:00 pm
Skeksis
Cowgirl-with-heart
wow Rushie! that second rabbit is HUGE!!! good job,sounds like you have a good pair,good gads,what if you had TWO dogs,you would get soooo many rabbits! how old is Rushie now??

I am just so happy with both of them; Roland is the second best hunting fert I've ever had and Rushie is exceeding all expectations. She's 10 months old so should get faster yet. 3nodding

Hmm...two dogs. ninja That will happen later on down the track but I'm having/ will have a hard time deciding what I want to get. I would love an ex racing grey but can't hunt with those. Love those beautiful black and tan kangaroo dogs, love hardbloods, love salukis, love staghounds...ugh. You see the issue, haha.
rofl rofl why not get another of Rushies breed? when shes a little older she could even teach it how to hunt,just seems to me,if roland bolts two rabbits,theres only one Rushie haha  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Skeksis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:53 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Skeksis
Cowgirl-with-heart

rofl rofl why not get another of Rushies breed? when shes a little older she could even teach it how to hunt,just seems to me,if roland bolts two rabbits,theres only one Rushie haha

Well that is a possibility as well. xd Whippets are great ferreting dogs as they are super quick off the mark, have great agility and a decent sense of smell...they can lack in other areas though and if I were to get another I thought it might be a good idea to have something that could take hare and fox on a regular basis. Rushie should be able to catch them occasionally but she won't be out-and-out on either. Who knows. XD I have a fair while to agonise and torture myself over this yet.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:46 pm
Skeksis
Cowgirl-with-heart
Skeksis
Cowgirl-with-heart

Well that is a possibility as well. xd Whippets are great ferreting dogs as they are super quick off the mark, have great agility and a decent sense of smell...they can lack in other areas though and if I were to get another I thought it might be a good idea to have something that could take hare and fox on a regular basis. Rushie should be able to catch them occasionally but she won't be out-and-out on either. Who knows. XD I have a fair while to agonise and torture myself over this yet.
oh lol I see smile  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lime Kiss

Versatile Lover

4,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:27 am
Congrats! That's exciting. And a great diet for your dog as well (though she thinks it's torture to wait for it haha). I'm looking forward to getting our cats started on their raw foods.

Beautiful dog too. smile

*Edit*
Also, *squee!* Ferret and dog looking over the rabbits like 'we did good!' So cute!  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:46 pm
Thanks. smile She knows she's pretty, the manipulative little so-and-so. lol  

Skeksis

Skeksis

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 pm
We are bang smack in the middle of a mouse plague at the moment and numbers are particularly high on the property where my sister keeps her horse. Today we took Rushie out there into the paddock and spent about an hour pouring water down all the mouseholes we could find to flush them out. Rushie was snapping them up as they bolted and finding unflooded holes like a pro...she's so smart. She figured out what was going on after the first set of holes and was really clued in.
She even sniffed out and caught a few that were just chilling in the grass.

We ended up with around 30 mice to go with the 320 or so that have been trapped in the feed shed.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 am
Skeksis
Thanks all! Shearaha, hit me up anytime, they can be stubborn sods. What sighthounds are you contemplating?

I've got my heart set on an Irish Wolfhound, but they're so hard to find in the US. I'm also looking at Borzoi and Salukis. I'm hoping to be able to do some hunting, but for whatever reason most of the US won't let you unless it's on your property. Good thing the 'rents have land.

Skeksis
We went out for a bit of ferret+hound vs rabbit action this afternoon. Roland worked a four hole warren on the side of a bank under a blackberry bush and bolted two huge healthy rabbits, which Rushie coursed and caught. So proud of her, she is doing so well.

Good job Rushi and Roland! I love the pick with the 2 of them, absolutely priceless!  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Azusanga

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 pm
Shearaha
Skeksis
Thanks all! Shearaha, hit me up anytime, they can be stubborn sods. What sighthounds are you contemplating?

I've got my heart set on an Irish Wolfhound, but they're so hard to find in the US. I'm also looking at Borzoi and Salukis. I'm hoping to be able to do some hunting, but for whatever reason most of the US won't let you unless it's on your property. Good thing the 'rents have land.

Wolfys are hard to find, butttt I did find a breeder that seems pretty reputable, I'll see if I can find them again. They had weekly updates of EVERYTHING that happened, and they fed raw.

@Skek: I would get a Saluki. They were bred specifically for hare in.... I wanna say... Israel? Somewhere like that. They're a really old, well shaped breed that has been used since the days of dinosaurs for coursing. Plus they're absolutely breathtaking when they run, since they're really all graceful but have the feathering on their ears and tails and a bit on the back of their legs, making a really beautiful run. Plus they appear to be faster than Whippets. And they usually take on gazelle while they're at it so hares are leik yawnn  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:07 pm
Shearaha
Skeksis

Skeksis
We went out for a bit of ferret+hound vs rabbit action this afternoon. Roland worked a four hole warren on the side of a bank under a blackberry bush and bolted two huge healthy rabbits, which Rushie coursed and caught. So proud of her, she is doing so well.

Good job Rushi and Roland! I love the pick with the 2 of them, absolutely priceless!

Oh I love all three of those. smile There's loads of folks hunting with sighthounds in the US, mostly with Staghounds. A bit of doorknocking would probably get you some permission in addition to your parent's place. 3nodding When you get your pup get it used to the land it will be running on from a young age and get it used to dealing with obstacles when running...greatly cuts down on the risk of injuries.  

Skeksis

Skeksis

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Azusanga
Shearaha
Skeksis

Wolfys are hard to find, butttt I did find a breeder that seems pretty reputable, I'll see if I can find them again. They had weekly updates of EVERYTHING that happened, and they fed raw.

@Skek: I would get a Saluki. They were bred specifically for hare in.... I wanna say... Israel? Somewhere like that. They're a really old, well shaped breed that has been used since the days of dinosaurs for coursing. Plus they're absolutely breathtaking when they run, since they're really all graceful but have the feathering on their ears and tails and a bit on the back of their legs, making a really beautiful run. Plus they appear to be faster than Whippets. And they usually take on gazelle while they're at it so hares are leik yawnn

A saluki is absolutely on my 'will own' list. biggrin Even found a breeder I like; he has imported desert-blooded dogs and is looking into hunting them.
They shouldn't be faster off the mark and over the first 60 odd yards than a good whippet but they do have a higher top end pace and endless stamina once they get going. I think this vid demonstrates the two different running styles really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJQ7PZZLCk

Whippet is a speed freak off the mark [which is what is needed for rabbits] but the saluki tops out in the end [which is what you need for longer courses]. I agree they are are really stunning.

I like Azawakhs too but get enough 'skinny dog' comments as it is. XD  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am
Skeksis
Azusanga
Shearaha
Skeksis

A saluki is absolutely on my 'will own' list. biggrin Even found a breeder I like; he has imported desert-blooded dogs and is looking into hunting them.
They shouldn't be faster off the mark and over the first 60 odd yards than a good whippet but they do have a higher top end pace and endless stamina once they get going. I think this vid demonstrates the two different running styles really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJQ7PZZLCk

Whippet is a speed freak off the mark [which is what is needed for rabbits] but the saluki tops out in the end [which is what you need for longer courses]. I agree they are are really stunning.

I like Azawakhs too but get enough 'skinny dog' comments as it is. XD

*sqee at the video* i love how at the end the GSD is just like this isn't fair... i'm just going to cut over to them across the field and not finish correctly.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:21 pm
Love the new picts you got up! I don't know if I can express how cooool that is! I wish I could watch it live - must be breathtaking. The way those animals were made to do just that.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff