Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Shingles hurts, REALLY bad!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~*~
View Results

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:50 pm
To anyone who doesn't know what Shingles is, it's basically a localized outbreak of Chicken Pox. You have to have gotten Chicken Pox to get it, have a weakened immune system or be very emotionally stressed. Right now I have it as a rash on the upper right side of my back a bit below my arm bit, the pain isn't as bad as it was before I found out I but have codeine perscribed to me to use as nessecery. It is gross to look and I'm having a hard time just going to sleep trying to resist the urge to roll over in bed because it will hurt so much.  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 am
Dude that really blows. Go to the doc and get some acyclovir or valacyclovir (Valtres-yes, shingles is due to a herpesvirus, but not HSV)  

Aaditya

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:46 am
Aaditya
Dude that really blows. Go to the doc and get some acyclovir or valacyclovir (Valtres-yes, shingles is due to a herpesvirus, but not HSV)
Thanks Aaditya. I already went to the doctor and he's given me some pretty powerful meds. By the way even though my perscription says take two tablets daily twice a day is it alright to take 1 pill every 6 hours?  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:08 am
I had to read up, because I had always thought you wouldn't get it ever again if you had it as a child. Now I find out it's just... dormant?! D; Ewww, ew, my blood, my skin, my pores! gonk

Damn you, youth of ritual exposure to and subsequent association of shame with any and all forms of herpes.... gonk stressed  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 am
Lychee Fruit
I had to read up, because I had always thought you wouldn't get it ever again if you had it as a child. Now I find out it's just... dormant?! D; Ewww, ew, my blood, my skin, my pores! gonk

Damn you, youth of ritual exposure to and subsequent association of shame with any and all forms of herpes.... gonk stressed
No no, it's just localized like in one massive cluster on you. A very painful one albiet.  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:03 pm
Like HSV, once the viral infection is repressed, the virus genome lays dormant in the nerves. For shingles, immunity lasts a while but when the immunity decreases (due to stress or time) you get a rash in a dermatomal distribution:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
If it happens on the face, blindness is a risk, but it usually occurs along the ribs on one side.

Kosai, the frequency at which you can take your meds depends on the drug. Stick to your doc's instructions regarding the codeine. If you take it more often you increase the risk of respiratory depression, constipation, nausea, and opioid addiction.  

Aaditya

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 pm
I have mine along blue T5.

Okay, my dose for valacyclovir is 2 pills three times a day, my Codeine is every 6 hours as nessecery but the Codeine I was told is only if the pain becomes unbearable. My question was about the valacyclovir but I called the pharmacist today to learn what my proper dosage was. Thanks Aaditya. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 pm
my Grandma got Shingles one time, a couple months later she had died. We think it all started with the Shingles  

SoLongAndFairWell

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 pm
Ouch. My friend got swine flu, and then a week or two later, she got shingles. I felt so bad for her.

I hope yours clears up soon.

I, on the other hand, really need to go get a chicken pox shots since I've never had chicken pox.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm
It has cleared up, theres some scars but they'll heal up in a little bit. 3nodding  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces