Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:21 pm
Ananszi
Savage Destiny
When I had crabbies I ordered a big variety of freeze fried, dehydrated, etc. fruits, vegetables, leaves, spirulina, insects, I can't remember what all. It came packaged in a little plastic container with compartments for each item, plus a serving spoon. It was a great way to get them tons of variety, and no risk of rotting. I still gave fresh foods too, but the dried stuff was mostly things I could not get ahold of.

This was years ago though. Let me try and find the site for you.

Edit: Got it, or something similar. I couldn't find the one with the whole plastic container, but this site sells small packets of various different items to use in a crabby item, and they have variety packs for $4.00. Looks like they have tons of other neat stuff too!

http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com/catalog.php/vckumsll/ct27667/Can_I_Have_A_Taste_

Edit again: I lied! Look in the "Basic Essentials" section on the sidebar... they have whole starter diet kits.

Ahh.. thank you for that link. :] Any idea how long a bag like that would last me?
it depends on how many you have,my crabbies dont really eat alot,I try to give them as little as possible,cause they sleep most of the time,and ignore their food,but when you first get them,they are so happy to have salt water,that usually what mine do first (I put them in there to A.sanitize them,and 2.make sure they can get OUT if they fall in) and they love that,and theyre happy to get away from that horrible pellet stuff,dont use it,cause its got toxins in it,and will slowly kill your crabbies  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm
first of all, food. Crabs can have a really varied diet, I feed mine food scraps all the time. They aren't particularly picky about freshness and love getting my strawberry tops, pea pods, and melon rinds that my picky gliders leave behind. I also give them a lot of freeze dried shrimp and freeze dried crickets and worm castings and bloodworms (dried) and other things often packages as "treats" for fish. But flake food often has pesticides included in them that build up in their system and hurt them so I would stay away from those. Heck, I stay away from commercially made CRAB food for the same reason.

Lighting - Crabs don't need UVA/UVB lights so whatever light you like to see them in is fine. They should have an Under Tank Heater though.

Space - You can easily create more "floor" space by making climbing things like nets and branches and little levels to go to by using bathroom accessories like the kind that hold your shampoo.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ananszi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:01 am
Alrighty. Thank you. :]  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items