Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
You think my mom is over feeding the fish?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm
[♫=♥]

All the fishy flakes that are on top of the water.
User Image

And here, the fish can't seem to stop staring at the water!
User Image

Oh yeah the filter had to be off because the medicine I'm adding to the fish tank says so. The fish had some fungus and he's doing great so far. The water is kind of foggy, and I placed a mirror in front of the fish, but he's not responsive. He's too busy staring at the floor.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:01 pm
It would be a really bad idea to overfeed, especially at this point since the filter is off and he's already immunocompromised because of the fungus. Leftover fish food decays and turns into ammonia, which is highly toxic to fish.

Remind your mom that she should only feed enough food that will be consumed within a minute or two, and no more.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:12 pm
Moth Feathers
[♫=♥]

I told her that, and she got butthurt about it and said that she knows what she is doing because she had fish before. I remember when two angelfish died in her care. lol
Then, she wanted a bubbler because she feels the betta fish needs air, even though I know that it has some sort of labyrynth organ that helps the fish go up for air.
She said I'm being some sort of know it all and now she refused to take me to petsmart to buy some more decor for the fish. lol Still going anyways. cool
I needed to buy some of them pebbles for the bottom tank.

I want to clean the tank, it's all foggy and crap. >:c

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm
lol@that mindset of your mother's.

That mindset ( "I've had fish before so I know what I'm doing and you don't!" ) has killed more fish than almost any other I can think of. Have you shown her professional research or similar that says you should only feed x amount? Or, y'know, even the label on the fish food? It says as much as the fish will eat in x amount of time.

Sorry, Jiti's mom, but you don't know what you're doing with fish. xD Betta hate open bubblers, generally speaking. Too much turbulence on their fins; drives them crazy and to biting their own fins. Which leaves them open to fin rot, especially when already immunocompromised. He can live 2-3 years or more if he's well taken care of. >>

Angels are kinda sensitive and fragile. >> Out of morbid curiosity, how long were they around?  

Eizoryu

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:08 pm
Eizoryu
[♫=♥]

It's a pretty silly mindset. She then goes on saying, "Back in the day, you put a canary in the cage and that's it. There were no books on how to care for them, you just learn how to care for it on your own!" Sure mom whatever you say. lol
I shown her ultimatebetta website, which I trust that it gives me good information on how to care for a betta, I also shown her multiple resources, then she goes on saying that people could write anything on the internet. Which is silly because, what if a petsmart employee tell me that I can keep a betta in a small bowl? Anyone can lie. Which is why it's best to look at more than one resource. D;
My mom is silly like that. smile
I don't know how long she had those angel fishes for, all I know is that they ate each other for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:16 pm
Jiti
It's just obsolete information, that's all. xD And the older we get, the more resistant to change we get. Generally speaking, of course. ("Back in my day, we didn't have the internet to tell us how to take care of our pets!" That's actually true for our generation, those of us in the 18-30 age group, not just that of our parents. OTL)

It's like, the people on UltimateBetta have had these fish for years and have taken the pains to gather all that information and put it in one place. I would think they know something, amirite? lol That many people can't be all wrong.

O.o;; Oh... Oh my. I know they're nippy and can be fairly aggressive, being cichlids, but I have to wonder what caused them to do that. Too small a tank, maybe? Or something.  

Eizoryu

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:21 pm
Eizoryu
[♫=♥]

I'm always for change. Some changes are very helpful. cool
I'll never know why the Angelfish ate each other. ;(
The tank wasn't that small and it seemed like a nice environment for the Angelfish. Ah well. They seemed like nice fishys.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:59 am
Definitely too much. Best thing to do would be to break up one large flake and that's a meal.  

Jeeed

Gaian

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:32 am
Since she seems resistant to change, when your mom's not looking, could you take a net and catch all the leftover fish flakes?

I would also start regularly siphoning the bottom of the tank to also take care of any food remains- leaving them there just leaves them to decompose.  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:43 am
[♫=♥]

I cleaned off the flakes that were floating above. Over the weekend after buying the decor that I need for the tank, I'll clean off the flakes on the bottom. He is feeling better, so he'll be off the medicine soon!
edit; he stopped staring at the bottom of the tank, but he can't respond to the mirror I put in front of him. I'm afraid that the water is a bit too foggy.

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 am

Instead of turning your filter off during treatment, remove the carbon. Carbon absorbs chemicals, that's why the directions tell you to turn it off. Then just put it back in when you're done.

If your mom is going to insist on over feeding, can you convince her to only feed him every other day or so? It's always best to feed them less than what you think they need. Except with delicate fish such as seahorses that need to be fed every so many hours.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games