View Results

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:10 pm
So I went to the vet with ********* yesterday. The night before he was being VERY uncharacteristically mean to the girls. Lashing out at both of them. Not like anything I have seen him do when Lilo and Nani are heat (he is fixed, they are not... spaying is not safe for sugar gliders. Neutering is very safe). It was SCARY. So I got an appointment with our exotics vet to see him ASAP, suspecting a UTI because he was hissing so much.

She sent us home with antibiotic syrup (that he loves and thinks is a treat) "just in case" but a diagnosis that it didn't look like an infection but instead was a behavioral issue. GRAND. Well, I am giving him the meds because I think it is possible still something internally is wrong. But I am left with an aggressive, but totally depressed and lonely, sugar glider in iso for a night or 2. I am going to try him back with the girls in a bit and HOPE HOPE HOPE he is nice to everybody because this is just killing me. If he isn't, and the fights get like they were he will be separated again and I will be tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do next.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm
awe thats not cool,usually if they behave differently its because of something physically (at least at his age) could it be the females being in heat?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

Can you put two altered males together? *if* it's a behavioral issue that can't be fixed, that might be an option. Or keeping his cage close to the girls so he doesn't feel as lonely. Is their cage big enough that they can all get out of each other's way if need be? Plenty of hiding spots? Has anything in the cage or room been changed recently? What about their diet? Has anything about you changed that might have set him off? I know you probably have all of this covered, but that's all I can think of.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
awe thats not cool,usually if they behave differently its because of something physically (at least at his age) could it be the females being in heat?
It is highly possible that the girls were in heat, it's just he has been with them for, well, 8 YEARS and we have been through heats MANY times. He "mates" with them (sugar gliders are a species that seem to mate for pleasure, so getting him fixed meant he does it a little less, and shoots blanks, but certainly doesn't STOP.), and yes, sometimes they squabble about it if they are not in the mood and he is, but that usually amounts to some slapping (honestly their slap fights are kind of hilarious) and crabbing at each other but nothing aggressive.

Gliders WILL fight a little, especially during mating. They fight over favorite toys, favorite treats, etc. This behavior was much more aggressive in nature than their normal little tiffs they get in.

Vanilla eXee

Can you put two altered males together? *if* it's a behavioral issue that can't be fixed, that might be an option. Or keeping his cage close to the girls so he doesn't feel as lonely. Is their cage big enough that they can all get out of each other's way if need be? Plenty of hiding spots? Has anything in the cage or room been changed recently? What about their diet? Has anything about you changed that might have set him off? I know you probably have all of this covered, but that's all I can think of.

SOMETIMES. If they grow up together babies, yes, altered males can be together. But introducing non-related males as adults, even fixed, boys can be a bit too territorial to be together.

THANK GOODNESS, for now things are back to normal, whether because I added another exercise wheel (a common source of contention in the cage) or because he's been on antibiotics I can't say for certain. HOWEVER, if it happens again I will most likely put their cages at least adjacent so he won't get as depressed.

Nothing has changed in the room or cage recently. No new scents, lighting, arrangements, dinner was a standard favorite they've had many times before - High Protein Wombaroo diet and fresh peppers and sugar snap peas. They were in the large cage in my room, as they have been the last month or so. I am not sure what set him off, but it was bad.

They do have several pouches and houses to hide in and get away from each other... which at times they do, like when he is the in the mood and the girls aren't he often finds himself kicked out of the main sleeping pouch. But that happens VERY rarely. Even after a lot of contention gliders tend to want to be together above all else. It is pretty funny in that big cage they will be smooshed all together in the tiniest places, just to be close to each other.

The happy news is that a week later everyone seems to be getting along fine again. They are being all sweet to each other as usual, so I am just keeping my eyes on them. In case the fight erupted over the wheel or food I have been putting food in 2 locations - That doesn't seem to be it, they share really well, and all seem to eat at one place then all go over to the other to eat THAT together too, but it never hurts to check - and put in a second wodent wheel because they often squabble over who's turn it is. Normalcy seems to have returned, but as I say, I am not letting my gaurd down... that was too scary.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 pm
Kipluck
Cowgirl-with-heart
It is highly possible that the girls were in heat, it's just he has been with them for, well, 8 YEARS and we have been through heats MANY times. He "mates" with them (sugar gliders are a species that seem to mate for pleasure, so getting him fixed meant he does it a little less, and shoots blanks, but certainly doesn't STOP.), and yes, sometimes they squabble about it if they are not in the mood and he is, but that usually amounts to some slapping (honestly their slap fights are kind of hilarious) and crabbing at each other but nothing aggressive.

Gliders WILL fight a little, especially during mating. They fight over favorite toys, favorite treats, etc. This behavior was much more aggressive in nature than their normal little tiffs they get in.

Vanilla eXee

SOMETIMES. If they grow up together babies, yes, altered males can be together. But introducing non-related males as adults, even fixed, boys can be a bit too territorial to be together.

THANK GOODNESS, for now things are back to normal, whether because I added another exercise wheel (a common source of contention in the cage) or because he's been on antibiotics I can't say for certain. HOWEVER, if it happens again I will most likely put their cages at least adjacent so he won't get as depressed.

Nothing has changed in the room or cage recently. No new scents, lighting, arrangements, dinner was a standard favorite they've had many times before - High Protein Wombaroo diet and fresh peppers and sugar snap peas. They were in the large cage in my room, as they have been the last month or so. I am not sure what set him off, but it was bad.

They do have several pouches and houses to hide in and get away from each other... which at times they do, like when he is the in the mood and the girls aren't he often finds himself kicked out of the main sleeping pouch. But that happens VERY rarely. Even after a lot of contention gliders tend to want to be together above all else. It is pretty funny in that big cage they will be smooshed all together in the tiniest places, just to be close to each other.

The happy news is that a week later everyone seems to be getting along fine again. They are being all sweet to each other as usual, so I am just keeping my eyes on them. In case the fight erupted over the wheel or food I have been putting food in 2 locations - That doesn't seem to be it, they share really well, and all seem to eat at one place then all go over to the other to eat THAT together too, but it never hurts to check - and put in a second wodent wheel because they often squabble over who's turn it is. Normalcy seems to have returned, but as I say, I am not letting my gaurd down... that was too scary.
thats great biggrin maybe its because theyre in heat,and its spring,in my experience,male animals get more...in the mood during spring...  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games