Cowboy's rehab thread. (UPDATE!!!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:55 pm
Today we officially started rehab for Cowboy. Just a 20min massage followed by a 20min laser therapy. He has two, typical frisbee injuries according to the tech. The transverse dorsal and the ileo soleus I think she called it. (groin muscle) She started off with some massage, and while he was extremely well behaved, we both picked up that it was uncomfortable and the tech said he was really tense and had some big knots. Therefor, for the next 2 weeks, we're JUST doing massage and laser and I'll be doing massage and heat at home in between sessions, he'll be seeing her for a professional massage and laser twice a week. ( $45 a session). Once we get the knots out, we'll start doing some exercises.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:37 am
Just a quick update, Cowboy was sore the day after his session, I think it's normal, my mom says she gets sore after a massage. I hope that means it's effective. Next session is this Tuesday.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 am
Second session was more massage and laser. The tech showed us some stretches and a few easy strength/exercises. So we have lots of homework now with heat massage and stretches every day and exercises every second day. Next physio appointment is Friday.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 am
I hope all goes well with his rehab. smile  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am
CrissAngelLover12345

thanks! me too. I can tell the exercises are challenging for him, so I'm sure he's building strength in his core which will prevent this from happening again.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
CrissAngelLover12345

thanks! me too. I can tell the exercises are challenging for him, so I'm sure he's building strength in his core which will prevent this from happening again.

Yep. biggrin I definitely hope this never happens again. I'm sure it's quite painful. sad Though I'm sure he enjoys the massages. lol  

CrissAngelLover12345

Skeksis

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm
How is Cowboy doing Gab? He's a tough cookie, bet he will bounce right back once it all starts taking effect. smile  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm
Skeksis
How is Cowboy doing Gab? He's a tough cookie, bet he will bounce right back once it all starts taking effect. smile

He's doing good, thanks for asking. I think we've finally had some progress. Today in physio the tech said we were starting to get his back under control. I could see it, he was less tense when she massaged him. So we're gona keep doing heat, massage and stretches every day with the balance exercises every second day till next Wednesday which is his next appointment. Depending on his progress we'll know if he's ready to start more exercises.

I do need to figure something out after that because my summer contract starts June 6th so I might not be able to take him anymore. Unless someone in my family is free I might have to leave him there for the day. I would obviously rather watch and see how he's doing for myself.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 am
Right, so it's...week 3. We've now done 5 sessions. Massage and laser each time. Yesterday we were given some more strength exercises to start today and I think we're getting another tomorrow.

Hard to know if there's progress. I can say, he use to get sore after his massages and he seems to be getting use to them, so that's good I guess. Tomorrow might be the last session I get to go with him. I start work full time on Monday so I'll have to try to get my mom to take him or drop him off on my way to work sad

edit: Total expenses so far (not including gas, the first consult that my parents paid for or tomorrow's session) 173.74 gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:41 am
Progressish. She said his dorsal lumbar is much better, but his dorsal thorax seems to be knotting up now. She thinks he's just so anxious he's kind of doing it to himself. So, she (the tech) said he's probably ready to slowly start easy running. But that we should technically wait for a go ahead from the vet.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:51 am
I'm actually, not even joking, jealous of cowboy about the massage. I need one of those now...

Hope he finishes soon. You're a great owner to him, other people would never pay for this kind of thing. Luckily, some dogs get owners who care 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:15 am
DeeSpark
I'm actually, not even joking, jealous of cowboy about the massage. I need one of those now...

Hope he finishes soon. You're a great owner to him, other people would never pay for this kind of thing. Luckily, some dogs get owners who care 3nodding

Ugh ME TOO! I am craving a massage so badly. Ironically I also have a crap back. Haven't had any kind of massage since my ex left me over a year ago. Meanwhile Cowboy gets em twice a week. And I almost feel embarassed when my friends ask me politely how Cowboy is doing in frisbee and I tell them my dog is in rehab. I KNOW they think it's a ridiculous thing to spend money on. BUT I know that at 6yrs old my dog needs to be able to run and play. Sitting at home, doing nothing, getting a walk or two a day is no life at all.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:04 pm
Thursday June 16th. Cowboy went for his re evaluation today. He has been CLEARED to gradually start exercising again. The tech had said he was probably ready but to wait for the vet to officially say it so we had SORT of started letting him play frisbee. For like...10-15mins not to strenous and he had NO signs of soreness. I am so freaking happy. FIVE MONTHS he couldn't run. FIVE and even with all that rest no progress and in ONE month amazing progress. Gawd I can't wait to get into this profession.

Now comes the hard part though. Gradually exercising. He need to first off drop 5lbs yes I know it's bad but, 6 months he hasn't ran, walking alone is just never enough with this dog. He needs to rebuild muscle mass, which is where the exercises she taught me come in. And he will need to stretch every day for the time being and before and after every workout for the rest of his career.

Also, if the maseus is available at the next big trial he will get a professional massage after his competition.

Edit: Also, we no longer need regular visits so my wallet can rest. I'll tally up the cost later out of curiosity but I don't even care it was worth every penny.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:24 pm
That's great news! biggrin I'm sure he's much happier too! He's definitely lucky to have you. biggrin I'm sure he's enjoying being able to play some frisbee again! biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:19 pm
Thanks, lol, he DID enjoy some frisbee, before ripping himself open on a rock and getting 5 staples in his leg.

Anyway, just out of curiosity I tallied the total cost for rehab at 389.07
Which is not bad considering how much it has improved his quality of life. It was well worth it.

Now let's see how much he cost me this year alone...958.37 in the last 6 months that he cost ME but if I add what my dad chipped in for, that totals about 1,292 dollars. In six months. hmm, ya, I'd say a dog is as expensive as a second hand car lol. If I add what my cat has cost me this year I'm already well above a thousand dollars. And people wonder why I have debt lol. Well...not only do I have unexpected car maintance, plus the expected stuff like gas and oil changes. I get these crazy vet bills too! OMG I can't wait to work in a clinic and not pay full price lol. Hopefully staying at my store a few hours a week to keep my free food too lol. Plus actually having a full time job for more than 11 weeks will really help me get out of debt once and for all.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games