Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Sigh.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 pm
For the past week, I've been planning to start volunteering at the animal shelter like 30 minutes away. I figured I could pet cats and dogs and get something else to put under my job experience on applications since I can't find a job here. (Yeah. Am I the only one that didn't know you could put volunteer experience under your job experience on job applications? Because no one ever mentioned this in all the time I had to hear teachers blathering about how to get a job or the resume class thingies I went to with my friend. Fail of life. FAIL.) I was going to call them this morning but didn't get to before going to play some putt putt with friends (and we all sucked, FYI).

I played with my friend's cat for like an hour and a half afterward even though she wouldn't stop biting me since she is a bipolar vampire cat named Twilight (she was bought and named before the books were written, but I still think she wants to be Edward).

Now, I'm sneezing and blowing my nose, and my throat is a little sore. Yeah. I sort of forgot I'm slightly allergic to most cats and dogs.

Go me. I mentioned this to my mom, and she goes, "Yeah. I was wondering if volunteering at the shelter would be good for you considering."
Thanks, mom. ILU2. I'm glad you can tell me these things when you think them.

I'm stupid.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 pm
Go dressed like this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

The Great Freddie Mercury

Saucey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:32 am
dramallama dramallama dramallama dramallama dramallama
I always thought it was odd when I had friends who'd volunteer to work at KB toys during the holidays.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 pm
Man, just go in heavy with the benadryll and you'll be a-okay! *thumbs up* biggrin

Okay no I don't really know if that would work for you, but I knew this girl once who that that mentality all like "Allergies be damned I'm getting a pet cat and liking every bit of it! xO" Granted it helped that she had only minor allergies and was very thorough about cleaning house *blink*  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

SoLongAndFairWell

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm
we've all had those dumb moments.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:03 pm
I think they would kick me out if I went dressed like that. xD

@Saucey
Was it to collect toy donations or something?

@Juni
Well, either I had a cold and it just started around the cat, or the reaction made my body hate me and scrummage to a cold because I'm a zooombie still. 8D

Yeah. Normally, I just get a little sniffy around some dogs. I'm usually fine if they've been washed recently or I don't shove my face around them. I actually have a dog, but he's a Maltese so he doesn't shed, and I never react to him. However, after like 5 days at my dad's with his dogs who smell like dog super fast, I start getting a sore throat. So, I can probably do dogs that don't shed too much, but cats seem to always get me.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 am
If you actually have an allergy to animals it probably wouldn't be wise to keep exposing yourself to the allergen, you can eventually make your allergy worse... o.o

Well, volunteering at animal shelters doesn't mean you just take care of the animals... They have desk jobs too, advertising their services, marketing (if you can call it that?) to solicit donations, maintaining their websites, working with people who would like to adopt, etc, if you're deadset on an animal shelter, you could always go for those?

You could always consider alternatives like orphanages, charities for underprivileged households, etc, too...  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm
@Milk
Well, this place is small, and from what I know, most of those types of positions are for employees and people with experience.

Yeah. The problem is that I'm in a small town, so the places are limited unless I want to drive an hour. I might check the town the shelter is in for other things, but the actual town I'm in pretty much has a nursing home I can volunteer at, and that's it.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas