Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
PLEASE DO THIS SURVEY FOR ME

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MagicalFlutes

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm
If you Identify as any of the inter-gender stereotypes(Trans, androgynous, etc), can you please fill in the first one, the second one for anyone else. I'm doing my year 11 research project on transgenderism, Inter-gender identities in particular. I'm androgynous, biologically female, and into women, so I kinda felt passionate about this subject sweatdrop Thank you for any help you can give me.

(Those Identifying as Transsexual or Androgynous)
By Taking part in this quick survey, you acknowledge, that even though your name will not be recorded, or used in the research (you will remain completely anonymous) I may quote, statements you make. Please be as detailed as you can, in sections where it asks you to elaborate.
Before taking part in this survey, I’d like to explain that a transsexual is someone identifying as a persons in the wrong body, as in their biological gender doesn’t match their psychological gender. An Androgynous Individual may feel they are both genders, genderless, a mixture of both, or their psychological gender may change on a daily/weekly basis.

1) Age:
2) Do you Identify as your opposite gender, as a transsexual, or an androgynous gender? Please explain.
3) Do you feel as though your gender Identity affects your sexual (orientation) Identity? Elaborate.
4) How have your family, friends, significant other, etc reacted? Share your story. (if you haven’t come out to them explain why.)
5) How has your Identity affected your Schooling/Work?
6) Have you begun/do you plan on going through SRT*? Elaborate.
7) Do you Believe Transexualism is a Psychological Disorder, or a Biological Disorder? Why?
cool What Bathroom do you use?

*SRT – Sex Reassignment Therapy (Hormone Replacement Therapy, Surgery, Permanent hair removal, changing social and Legal Gender)

(Those Not Identifying as Transsexual or Androgynous)
By Taking part in this quick survey, you acknowledge, that even though your name will not be recorded, or used in the research (you will remain completely anonymous) I may quote, statements you make. Please be as detailed as you can, in sections where it asks you to elaborate.
Before taking part in this survey, I’d like to explain that a transsexual is someone identifying as a persons in the wrong body, as in their biological gender doesn’t match their psychological gender. An Androgynous Individual may feel they are both genders, genderless, a mixture of both, or their psychological gender may change on a daily/weekly basis.

1) Age:
2) How do you feel about the Transsexual Identifying nation? What is your Honest Opinion on these Individuals?
3) What is your opinion on various Laws restricting transsexuals from legally identifying as their psychological gender and going through SRT*?
4) Do you believe Transexualism is a Psychological Disorder, or a Biological Disorder? Why?

*SRT – Sex Reassignment Therapy (Hormone Replacement Therapy, Surgery, Permanent hair removal, changing social and Legal Gender)  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 pm
1. Age: 20

2. Do you Identify as your opposite gender, as a transsexual, or an androgynous gender? Please explain.

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I'm kind of in between transsexual and androgynous, though I think that later best describes me. All I really know is that I do have gender issues, because though I am born a man, and have some slightly masculine personality characteristics, I tend to strongly favor my more feminine personality characteristics. Biologically speaking, I'd have to identify as the man I was born as, but personality wise, I'd have to identify as a woman because my personality lacks most masculine characteristics.

3. Do you feel as though your gender Identity affects your sexual (orientation) Identity? Elaborate

I do think it has some affects on my sexual orientation. It's made it all the more confusing for me actually. I'm still only sexually attracted to women, as if nothings really changed. And it's lead me to believe that because my personality is so feminine, it has contributed to my bad relationships thus far with heterosexual women. I still consider myself straight, but I guess that homosexual (lesbian) would be more accurate.

4. How have your family, friends, significant other, etc reacted? Share your story. (if you haven’t come out to them explain why.)

I've gotten mixed reactions thus far. I first came out to a close friend of mine. We were talking about personal things and I mentioned to her that when I was little, I wanted to be a girl. And ironically, she said she felt the same way, except that she wanted to be a boy. She was the first person to really tell me to explore it some. I later came out to a bunch of other friends one night and none of them had any problems with it. Significant others, not so much. A friend of mine who was in love with me told me she could no longer love me because she doesn't love women. Family, reacted the worst. When I mentioned to my mom that I felt I may be transgendered, she freaked out, and told me that that was sick. That she had given birth to a son and daughter and not two daughters. And that if I ever thought about it again, that I would be living in my car from now on. So needless to say I don't mention my gender problems around her.

5. How has your Identity affected your Schooling/Work?

Thus far it has not affected my schooling or work. I'm honestly content living in the male body I was born with, as long as I'm still able to express my femininity from time to time.

6. Have you begun/do you plan on going through SRT*? Elaborate.

I have not and as of now, I don't plan to. As I stated earlier, I'm content for the most part with the body I was born with, as long as I can still express my femininity. Now I will admit, it's crossed my mind, but I'm too scared to go through with those types of changes. I did even come up with the female name Madelyn, I'd use instead of my real name, Kevin. I'm mostly scared that I'll have regrets about it though, or about the reaction I would get from my family. They would hate me so much if I ever did SRT. It would be nice if I could be a women, but to avoid problems, I'm not planning to go through with it. The farthest I'm going to go is cross-dressing, once I'm out on my own.

7. Do you Believe Transexualism is a Psychological Disorder, or a Biological Disorder? Why?

I believe that transsexualism is both a psychological and a biological disorder. I feel that for some who are transsexual, biology is involved. The individual could have been born biologically male or female and yet have different sex organs. Such as if a women is born with a p***s, but her family has it removed, she may feel inside, that she's technically a man because she wasn't born with female anatomy but male anatomy. I believe that hormonal imbalances such as a male with too much estrogen could be transsexual and vice versa. I feel that psychology can also be involved. People who don't conform to typical gender roles as a child, can grow up to be transsexual because of their exposure to the other gender. Such as myself. As a child I played with dolls instead of with footballs, so it gave me a chance to experience more feminine activities. I feel for many who are transsexual, that exposure is key. I got to do things typically for girls growing up and I came to enjoy them more so than the things typically for boys, so it's only natural that a boy who grows up playing with dolls and wearing dresses would come to think of himself more as a women than a man. As is the case with myself. I also think psychology can be responsible for transsexualism in a hard to describe way. For me, I don't like being around other males. I've come to associate males with things I don't like, such as apathy and arrogance, whereas I associate women with being more emotional and understanding. I think that that dislike for males and associating them negatively, has created a desire to be a woman in me. I did not grow up with a male figure in my life, so overall, I never learned how to be male, and even though I was raised in a more gender neutral home, I have, since childhood, been more feminine.

8. What bathroom do you use?

I try to avoid public bathrooms when necessary, but when I have to use the bathrooms, I use the men's room. I don't use the urinals though. For some reason that dates back even as a child, even having the plumbing to stand, I about 80% of the time choose to sit as if I was born a women.

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

MagicalFlutes

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:03 am
@kh.ikari
Thank you heart some of the things you've said have brought out a lot of points I need to look into. Sorry about your mum & best of luck (:  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 am
You're very welcome. heart I'm glad I was able to bring out a lot of points for you. It's alright about my mom. And thank you. I wish you the best of luck too. =)  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am
1) Age: 22
2) Do you Identify as your opposite gender, as a transsexual, or an androgynous gender? Please explain.
For the most part I identify as the opposite sex, though I cannot deny my true gender when I have to tell someone for medical reasons. Or jobs = -=; it hurts to tell my biological sex or even have to act the role around certain family members
3) Do you feel as though your gender Identity affects your sexual (orientation) Identity? Elaborate.
To some degree I do find it hard to specify a certain sexuality. I find that given a certain situation where you have to tell your partner (or someone you're interested in) what sexuality you are without saying anything about your biological gender, they then assume one way or another. For instance, if you're a transman and you tell a girl that you're a lesbian, they may either look at you odd or think you're cracking a joke, yet at the same time if you tell them that you're heterosexual they would expect you to have the right equipment.
Personally I find it a blue on giving a sexual orientation, and I'm fine with that.

4) How have your family, friends, significant other, etc reacted? Share your story. (if you haven’t come out to them explain why.)
My parents are helping me gain what I need to for my transition, mostly binders. However, they haven't switched over to the right references, which does hurt but... there's not much I can do about that.
My partner also encourages me in my transition, and she has even given me a packer amongst some other things. Her and her family accept me as and are trying to refer me by the abbreviations of my name (since I consider it more unisex than my biological name).
Friends are just the same, though I have had one or two who can't understand why I would want to be the opposite sex. However, I have had one friend refer to me as an "it" which I felt degraded towards. But for the most of the part they're okay or encouraging, which is helpful.

5) How has your Identity affected your Schooling/Work?
My identity hasn't conflicted with schooling so far since most see me as my true gender (the opposite sex)
6) Have you begun/do you plan on going through SRT*? Elaborate.
I plan on getting some within the next year or two
7) Do you Believe Transexualism is a Psychological Disorder, or a Biological Disorder? Why?
What Bathroom do you use?
I want to say that I would see it as both, but I'm not too sure since I can see it both as a psychological problem as well as biological. Since it can be painful on both mental and physical.
There are days where I find waking up in the morning like my breasts and lower regions aren't the way they should be, even often feel myself with lower genitals and how they would move depending on how I walk or run or any action I were to do. While mentally, it's stressing to have to acknowledge my true gender and that I will never have all the full functions of a male body (and it saddens me that I can never get any of my partners pregnant).

As for bathrooms, I've recently started going into men's but if I'm on the period I have no choice but to go to the women's since there are no trash cans in the men and I'm pretty sure I'd be found out for my biological sex and/or given weird looks if I were to drop bloody tampons into a trash can and they happen to look. Elsewise, if I'm on that time of month and I can find a unisex bathroom, I'll use that.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:53 pm
Though having done that I feel like I've done no justification so I'm just gonna write up more about who I am and what I'm defined by. You're more than welcomed to quote anything I say.

My name is DJ, I'm 22 years old and I currently reside in Canada. I've been transitioning now for two years, and a bit longer in secrecy for another year since my move to Canada.

Growing up I always felt that I was born into the wrong body, I didn't fit in with the girls and rather do what the guys did. Having hung out with mostly guys I was considered one of them yet I also began to have a good majority of girl friends. By high school my friends were mostly dominated by girls with a few selection of guys. Now that I'm in university, I tend to find men intimidating, but it doesn't prevent me from interacting with them. Still my group of friends and such are female, and I don't mind that, though I think having a higher female to male group ratio has influenced me slightly into some of the feminine things I do (but not all).

I was never one to wear dresses, skirts, or high heels. I tried, only to try to please my mum, but it never felt comfortable or who I was. When shopping for clothes, it was hard for me to get the clothes that I wanted and would feel most comfortable in because they were "boys" clothes. By late high school I was able to start getting men clothes more, and now my wardrobe consists mostly of men with a few unisex clothes. I no longer have any feminine underwear, having switched over to briefs and boxers, but I still have sports bras for when I have to assume a "feminine"ish look when I stay at my grandparents (who will never be able to accept me as I am).
Everyday that I get ready, I feel as if I'm putting on "armour" that is my true gender -- such as a binder and my c**k (packer). Only then do I feel comfortable and as if I'm my true self. When I go without any of the two, I feel as though my body's twisted, deformed, or that I'm a freak because I'm not who I know I am, and for that I try to always straighten down my shirt in attempts to get rid of the curved creases that breasts produce, and shy away from people. If I'm wearing a button up shirt or a hoodie, I feel as though I can blend in a bit better when not wearing my gear, but I still feel exposed, and ashamed.
As of right now, as I type what I'm typing, I'm at my grandparents for the next three to four months. I cannot wear my binder or c**k (though I might be able to wear the binder now and then) in their presence, but at night I strip down to just my briefs (since wearing a shirt of any form or top makes me feel awkward, like I'm trying to conceal my biological gender breasts that one would normally be shamed to show) and stuff my c**k and sleep for the night to gain some sort of stability. Two days I've already had break downs due to the stress and frustration of having to hide my true gender, and having to assume a role that isn't mine. It pains me both physically and mentally to do this.

After I graduated high school I started to explore more into my true gender. I started experimenting with Ace bandages to hold down my chest, and stuffing socks to serve as a packer (though I always made them too big or too stiff). I even had a friend suggest/ask if I had tried Ace bandages, which I gladly lifted up my shirt to show her. Of course I also grew frustrated with the Ace bandages since they often unhooked, rolled, or slid down. It then became that I would only use them in the privacy of my room or for short periods of time for photography where I could get a look of a man.
I started doing the last bit more often after I moved up to Canada, a year after my graduation.
Eventually, I couldn't stand even doing it in the privacy of my room, and I needed to confront my parents so that I could, in the least, get a binder. Which I gained enough courage one day on a trip to finding a hair cutter and I just blurted it out on the drive back home. Naturally, it was quite for a bit, then my mum began asking me questions. Such as why I didn't say something earlier, or how I really felt about certain things. She even brought up one time where she said she had asked if I wanted to be the opposite gender, which, to this day, I don't ever remember asking. If she did, it was probably at a time where I was dating someone who was completely against that part of me and which I had suppressed just because of the fact that they were my partner.
Shortly after that, I was bought my first binder (which was at the beginning of my school year).

I've had partners who couldn't grasp or would reject the idea of me being a man, and I've had some who would support me in who I was and would refer to me as I felt most comfortable as. I've had feminine and tomboy partners. I've also had another transgender as my partner. And now, my current partner, is somewhat of a third gender where she's in between and doesn't mind being called either or.
I'm glad for who I have as my partner, she has given me so much support, even suggestions while in my transition. At the beginning of this year she bought me my c**k, and for my birthday she has bought me two books on/for transgenderism. Before I left for my grandparents for this summer, she bought me another book about a woman who spent a year living as a man.

As far as school is concerned, my first year of school was when I started exploring more broadly on transgenders, I even did an essay for my sociology class based on that particular subject. Which began my passion for raiding the university library and checking out books from the transgender section.
Within my last year of school, my friends have become more open to who I am. Although one of them, despite sitting down with them and having a long talk, decided to tell me that I was an "it" which I found degrading, as if I didn't deserve my true gender. At the end of our discussion I did tell her to get a couple books so she might gain some sort of understanding, since she was also volunteering for the university LGBT (which was Transgender Warriors -- a book I would highly recommend to anyone).
After a while from getting my c**k, I began to gather enough courage to begin using the men's bathroom. The first couple times were nerve-wrecking, cause I was worried about my biological sex being found or that the way I walked, acted, would have me found as well. I haven't run into an incident like that yet. However, when my period comes, I tend to find either a unisex bathroom, or forced to go into the women since men bathrooms don't come equipped with trash cans in the stalls.

Within the next year or two I plan on seeking out counselling so that I can then proceed onto the next step and gain testosterone treatment. And hopefully, following that, chest surgery. I can't wait for the day I can walk freely without a shirt and embrace the world as I should be.

I believe, I have hit most of the question in which you have asked, but more of who I am and how I see things. If I've missed anything, just ask and I'll try to answer it as best as I can.

My name is DJ, I'm 22, and I'm man.  

FauxZombie

MagicalFlutes

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:02 pm
@FauxZombie

AHHHH! THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!
Thank you so much, it's so detailed, and I feel as though I know you!! heart rofl and yes, I shall contact you if I need any more information :3  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:51 am
No problem, ^ ^; I just didn't think the answers I put on the question bits were really what I could provide.
At least not fully descriptive

Glad I could be of help  

FauxZombie

MagicalFlutes

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 pm
heart  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items