Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
guinea pig update. Feel free to flame me

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 am
I've already flamed myself, you guys can too!

Winter was coming, mum was being to funny about the cage making, I wanted the guinea pigs inside asap, so I just bought one. Yes it was slightly to small for two, but atleast they'd be inside right? Then some how my mother of all people, convinced me to buy the guinea pig in the shop. And I don't know how. Cage not big enough for 3. Pet store pig. Mum doesn't care about guinea pigs. Wtf. So I now have Nibbles, Pumba and Winmar (the new pig) in a cage, which is quite spacious... for ONE pig.

I don't think mum will let me make a cage, but I think she would let me buy another cage (maybe a little bigger if I can find one, will worry about that later) and this time ADOPT a new guinea pig, so I can have a pair in each cage.

On the plus side, the have a large pen outside which they can run around in during the day when it's nice, though the bars are just a little bit to wide for young winmar, So he goes in the old hutch, and I have it positioned right next to the pen. They get lap time when they come in at night, and once I get my parents more attached to them and teach them that guinea pigs aren't filthy, I'll start giving them floor time at night as well. I'll probably just use the huge shower in my ensuite, as it's out of the way from my parents, and easy to clean when they're done.

So irresponible guinea pig owning aside, I must say I'm glad they're in. The bond I have with them is already growing. Sure I could see them when they were outside, but now I'm constantly walking past them, and it's easy to just open the cage and give them some food or a pat when passing by.

Winmar was seperated from the other two at first, to make sure he had no illness. At first Nibbles wanted to mount him, and kept teeth chattering at him, but after a few more intros, they're best of friends and love to play. And my gentle Pumba had no problem whatsoever. I think Winmar is about 2-3 months. He's white with light brown patches (pictures coming soon).

So that's my update. I've just given myself more guinea pig cage problems, but I'm sure I can sort it out soon. For now, I just want to give them plenty of time out of the cage so it doesn't get cramped.
Oh, and my cat loves watching them. Can't kill them through the cage luckily, though i have a blanket on one half, and they have places to hide if the cat ever does get a little bored (I make sure to play plenty of games with the cat though)

Winmar:
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 am
I can not possibly flame you considering I have a dog from a pet store sweatdrop Which is slightly unbelievable, I have trouble walking through a pet store without yelling at people to stop looking at the cute lil puppy mill bred dogs and go save a damn life. But, I know first hand, when a mother is taking them out of the cage, and they are loving you, it can be impossible to resist. (plus Cowboy was 5months and like 75% off lol, cause no one wanted the psycho aussie doing figure eight's in his cage.)

Anyway, the cage size would only be horrible if they were in it constantly. If it's just for sleeping, I think they will manage for now. If they have a nice outdoor pen for daytime that's great. Try to find an old kiddie pool at a garage sale or maybe online, I hear those make great play pens since pigs don't climb or jump. That way they could have an indoor pen and just go in their lil cage when no one is home. Of course you'd have to keep the cat away if you leave them in that.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:03 pm
oh thanks I like that idea! I'd maybe be able to make the kiddie pool safer. My mum has some soft foldable ones she uses for garden beds, so if I could get one of those I could just fold it out in my room and lock the cat out.

Finding it hard to believe just how much I missed when they lived outdoors 24/7. And it's so nice to not worry about rain, or how winters coming on and how I need to cover the cage in blankets and fill it with heaps of bedding, hoping it'll be enough etc.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm
if youre gonna do the kiddie pool idea,I woulod definitely pit a fence or something,cause they can climb and jump,they dont do it often,but they can,we had a pig manage to climb out of her cage and into the males,which both were at least a foot tall,I think like a foot and a half even  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Sometimes we have to put up with less than Ideal cages. But as long as they get as much OUT of cage time as possible, I think it's acceptable. At least that's how I feel about my cages because I am constantly wishing for something bigger and better. It's not that anybody's cage is all that small, (except for Tortuga's. Which is why I am going to make her a pond when it warms up here.) but they could always be BETTER. Someday I plan to get Baby Fable a floor to ceiling-type cage... and a friend to share it with. And I would love to give the gliders a metal cage the same size as their Reptarium. Just because it LOOKS nicer, but the Reptarium is such a better size. (Like a phone booth)  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 pm
I'm just happy that my pigs are young and are still pretty small, though Pumbas just about reached full size. Hopefully by the time I get a new cage Winmar will still be quite small, though Nibbles will probably be full size too.

There was playpen for indoors that my mother was thinking about getting but then didn't want it for some reason, and then we got a cat and didn't want an open cage anyway. It's kind of like a tall kiddie pool. I think it folds pretty well, so I'd be able to put it in another room, though possible add a top.

It just sucks a bit now, as I haven't brought up the idea of indoor floor time. I know mum and dad would be against it right now, they need some time.

Pumba doesn't run into hiding when I come near the cage like he used to now that he's inside smile  

DeeSpark

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:17 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I can not possibly flame you considering I have a dog from a pet store sweatdrop Which is slightly unbelievable, I have trouble walking through a pet store without yelling at people to stop looking at the cute lil puppy mill bred dogs and go save a damn life. But, I know first hand, when a mother is taking them out of the cage, and they are loving you, it can be impossible to resist. (plus Cowboy was 5months and like 75% off lol, cause no one wanted the psycho aussie doing figure eight's in his cage.)

Anyway, the cage size would only be horrible if they were in it constantly. If it's just for sleeping, I think they will manage for now. If they have a nice outdoor pen for daytime that's great. Try to find an old kiddie pool at a garage sale or maybe online, I hear those make great play pens since pigs don't climb or jump. That way they could have an indoor pen and just go in their lil cage when no one is home. Of course you'd have to keep the cat away if you leave them in that.

Actually, you'd be suprised at how high a Guinea Pig can jump.

My girls are in a C&C cage. I had their pigloo in it one day and was doing some stuff around the house. My husband asked why Molly was being so loud. I looked over and Jenny had JUMPED ON TO THE TOP OF THE CAGE - she was outside the cage on the top!!!! This was an 8 inch height.

I luckily had a closet shelf I was able to put over the opening so I can still use the pigloo without fear of her escaping again.  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

I've seen some pretty cool mods where people either bought 2 cages and stuck them together, or bought one cage then added on to it. If you're going to buy a second cage anyway, it might make more sense modify the two and keep all 3 in that then buy another too small cage and another pig. At least until you're out on your own and your parents can't complain. As has been said, as long as they gt plenty of out of cage exercise everyday (which they should get, even in a big enough cage) they'll be fine. Keep an eye out for aggression, have an extra pigloo handy in case someone wants to be alone. The main thing is, they're in the house now and safe from the weather.

As for cats, most people don't have trouble with cats going after guinea pigs. It always makes sense to take precautions, but it's more dogs that you have to worry about than cats. Azu's cat Annabelle sleeps with her pigs and drinks their water rofl

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:08 pm
http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/adoption/pen_living.html

This is an X-pen. They're spacious but easy to fit into an oddly shaped space. I plan on using one once the dog dies for my rabbits.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games