Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:09 pm
Linxie is a 4 year old gray tabby that lives out on a friend's farm with a colony of about 15 other spayed and neutered cats (all wormed and UTD every year). Well he LOVES human contact and will follow my sister and me around since we are the ones that took him out to the farm in the first place. Well I heard a story that made me look at Linx in a different light.... in the light of the Top Tom.

Ben was out on the farm getting ready to work and was petting Linx when a black tom cat that no one saw before (feral or something) came out of nowhere did the cat scream and charged Linx. He tackled Linx and Linx kicked/rolled so he was on top went for the neck and shook his head and it was done. He then promptly walked back over to Ben wanting to be petted some more.

Ben walked into the barn and told Steve (owner of the farm) what happen. He said that Linx had done it before and told Linx "good boy".

All the cats in the colony are spayed and neutered but this little insight of the top cat is interesting and seeing him in action gives way to why all the cats look so damn healthy, they don't have to fight with any feral that wander to the farm.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:18 pm
I know some of you are really against cats being outside, but the farm is a refuge for cats that aren't capable of finding a forever home in someone's house. Sherly and Steve have taken in a few cats from shelters that would of been put down other wise.

It is about a 44 acre farm, and though there is a road most of the cats stay on the farm around the front patio or in the barn. Yes they hunt... but it is a farm if they are catching rodents it is good, and if they are chasing away larger 'vermin' that could harm the horses and what not that is good as well.

all of us out there know that any one of the cats can be grabbed by a coyote or killed by a raccoon (though it is amazing to see a 5 cats team up and kill a raccoon....), but it is something we can live with since some of these cats would be on death row if they didn't find a farm to live on.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:38 pm
Absolutely it's a good thing. We have a spay and neuter program here too. If only all farms worked with rescues instead of just letting their cats breed.

And your story reminded me of the "warrior" series of kid's books that I actually love. It's all about 4 "clans" of feral cats. Good stuff lol  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 pm
yeah there are still farmers that still let their cats breed (in pictures i have their little story there... )

But I like the cats out at Steve's they are much mroe friendly.... it is where Ika was going to go if I didn't take her. My friend's cat Zaki is out there.... (one of the kitten's from the feral that got out before she could get taken in to get spayed), she has reverted back to being super feral.... but she doesn't cause a problem just lives like a hermit and kills for her food. *shrug* happier there then in a cage.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items