Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:58 am
why do so many people assume that just because an animal isnt a cat or dog it must have been taken from the wild and had the mother killed in front of it?

doing research on foxes ive seen so many people who think this about fennecs.

i would like to think that people would do basic research before having a very strong opinion on something, but no. if you dont agree with foxes being pets thats fine but at leasr do a little research so you know that there are enough fennec breeders in the US that getting a wild caught one illegaly is just more work and money than getting one from a breeder. because breeders of exotic animals exsist, they really do. im sure of it.

idk, im just getting tired of people telling me why foxes make bad pets and then they list off untrue reasons because they refuse to do any research.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm
OH I KNOW. So many people have told me this about my sugar gliders. "How dare you take it from the wild?!"
Yeah, ********* was a rescue so his background is shady but Lilo and Nani's great-great-great GRANDPARENTS weren't even from "the wild." They have fricken PEDIGREES telling me who their parent's were and what breeder owned them.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 am
Kipluck
OH I KNOW. So many people have told me this about my sugar gliders. "How dare you take it from the wild?!"
Yeah, ********* was a rescue so his background is shady but Lilo and Nani's great-great-great GRANDPARENTS weren't even from "the wild." They have fricken PEDIGREES telling me who their parent's were and what breeder owned them.

im sure you have to deal with crap more than most people since your exotics are more exotic than most people's exotics. wow that was a fun sentance XD  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm
That is one of the nice things about keeping bugs. People just don't care, as long as the bugs aren't mooching in on their home lives. I wouldn't be surprised however if a number of people still assumed my mantises were wild caught. Truth is however most of the mantises in the pet trade are many generations captive bred. Any exotic mantis in the U.S.A is here because people in the hobby have put in the time and energy to make sure they are keeping the cultures going via breeding.

That being said, catching wild mantises isn't frowned upon like you will see in a lot of other areas of the pet trade. The fact is, minus overly common species like the Chinese, breeding mantises is far easier and will produce far more specimens than trying to go out and catch them. Generally when those in the hobby are catching wild mantises it is because they are hoping to introduce another species into the trade and get enough cultures going that they will be able to sustain the new addition. You aren't going to see any species becoming endangered from this though because like I said, there isn't enough money in wild caught mantises to make it have enough worth to create a black market.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:55 pm
Shanna66
Kipluck

im sure you have to deal with crap more than most people since your exotics are more exotic than most people's exotics. wow that was a fun sentance XD
Yeah. I have had threats from animal rights people saying if I didn't "let go" of my gliders, like out into the wild (animals who would NEVER survive the wild) I should watch my back. I also had someone tell me how awful it was that my gliders mothers probably had to be killed to take their joeys and sell them to me. I assured them that I saw Nani's mom and dad and held Lilos parents and they were very happy and healthy animals who, while they loved their joeys, were quite ready for them to leave the nest and give them their space! There are a lot of misconceptions about exotics.

The only wild caught animals I have are Bratanik (he was a rescue. I do NOT support the purchase of WC Russian tortoises from stores.), the hermit crabs (because sadly ALL hermies in the pet trade are currently WC), and most likely my anole, Sprite because most anoles are.

My ALTG Lizard, however, was sold to me by a local pet store owner who breeds them, so I think he is CB. My geckos are DEFINITELY captive born, as is my RES turtle (RES are actually TOO often bred). I bought my chinchilla from a local breeder, and as they are "fur animals" buying them from a breeder is MUCH easier than ever getting them from the wild. Same thing with gliders. They breed FAR too easily to capture them and smuggle them. Does it happen? Yes, especially in OTHER countries. But here? No. The issues facing sugar gliders are closer now to that of dogs... MILL breeders.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:11 am
Kipluck
Shanna66
Kipluck

Yeah. I have had threats from animal rights people saying if I didn't "let go" of my gliders, like out into the wild (animals who would NEVER survive the wild) I should watch my back. I also had someone tell me how awful it was that my gliders mothers probably had to be killed to take their joeys and sell them to me. I assured them that I saw Nani's mom and dad and held Lilos parents and they were very happy and healthy animals who, while they loved their joeys, were quite ready for them to leave the nest and give them their space! There are a lot of misconceptions about exotics.

The only wild caught animals I have are Bratanik (he was a rescue. I do NOT support the purchase of WC Russian tortoises from stores.), the hermit crabs (because sadly ALL hermies in the pet trade are currently WC), and most likely my anole, Sprite because most anoles are.

My ALTG Lizard, however, was sold to me by a local pet store owner who breeds them, so I think he is CB. My geckos are DEFINITELY captive born, as is my RES turtle (RES are actually TOO often bred). I bought my chinchilla from a local breeder, and as they are "fur animals" buying them from a breeder is MUCH easier than ever getting them from the wild. Same thing with gliders. They breed FAR too easily to capture them and smuggle them. Does it happen? Yes, especially in OTHER countries. But here? No. The issues facing sugar gliders are closer now to that of dogs... MILL breeders.

thats horrible that people would threaten you over something they know nothing about.

my only wild caught animal is my eastern milk snake and thats becasue at first we thought he was an escaped pet corn. the person i met online sent him to me and by the time i learned what he was and that he was native to that area i lost contact with the person so we have been keeping him. pissy as hell but a good eater for me. he wont eat if the fiance tries to feed him but has never missed a meal for me, probbaly because i always smell like rats XD

and i know for sure my skink girls are captive bred, talked to the store about the breeder and everything. plus for the price i paid i doubt they were wild caught, expensive little things. sadly with these guys its easier to do wild caught since they breed so slow

all my other reptiles i never bothered checking to see if they were captive bred or not becasue they breed so easily and are so common in the pet trade that it would just be more effort and money to get a wild caught one. the only wild caught ball pythons you see on the market today are most likely older normals. captive hatched is still an issue with these guys but its getting more and more rare to find an imported ball since so many people are breeding them

@ krissim klaw

ill keep spiders and bugs for a couple days or less until i can identify them. ive also kept a common house roach for a few days before but i think it must have been sick when i got it or something becasue it died the next day and i kept reasing about how hardy and hard to kill they are. he was an amazing shade of red so i had to get over my fear just for him for a couple days at least  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items