Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 pm
For those who cared, dad snake is now eating again and all is well. No clue why he stopped eating, but I'm glad he's eating again.

On the other hand, mom snake has recently become super aggressive towards us. If I didn't wear gloves to grab her, I'd probably be shredded. Once she's out of the tank and in our hands, she stops trying to eat us. Which is very confusing, because I don't feed her in the tank, I feed her in a separate container, just the same as the others.

For those who don't know, these are two wild garter snakes caught from my backyard last year. We also have 3 of their babies who were captive-born.

But I guess my question is, how do I get her to stop being so aggressive toward us? Feeding her more isn't an option, she would explode before she'd stop eating. We've tried, she really just doesn't stop eating. And handling her more doesn't do anything, since she's calm once she's in our hands. The male is much more shy, and doesn't try to strike at us. So I have no clue what to do. Help?  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:32 pm
My suggestion would be to invest in a little snake hook and get her used to that for cage removal. Personally I think getting a snake used to a hook and using it for removal is a great tool. Hooks have a very specific feel and look that makes it easy for the snakes to recognize them in comparison to a tasty treat. Most snake aggression and bites occur while removing snakes from enclosures and hooks can greatly minimize such risks.

Do you know if you put her back in her cage, then immediately try to remove her again after handling will she switch back to aggressive mode?  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:59 pm
Yes, she'll immediately try to strike again if I had just put her back. And I've done my best to at least feed her with these huge feeding tweezers, so she doesn't recognize my hand as food.. but I don't know what happened. sad

I'll look into a snake hook. I really hope that'll help.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:26 am
is she gravid?

also check to make sure she doesnt have any shed skin stuck around her anywhere. my sister's corn was really pale so we didnt notice that there was shed skin stuck around his tail and the pain made him really pissy  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:43 pm
Shanna66
is she gravid?

also check to make sure she doesnt have any shed skin stuck around her anywhere. my sister's corn was really pale so we didnt notice that there was shed skin stuck around his tail and the pain made him really pissy
She isn't gravid anymore. She had her babies way too early to put them outside (especially with how late the frosts lasted this year), but they all ended up dying anyway... She doesn't seem to be gravid though. When she was, she wasn't as aggressive, but more shy and was stinking any time you touched her.

I'll check her for left over skin, but I don't recall seeing any.. I've had to remove some from the baby snakes a few times, and I noticed that just by a quick glance.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 pm
kage no neko
Shanna66
is she gravid?

She isn't gravid anymore. She had her babies way too early to put them outside (especially with how late the frosts lasted this year), but they all ended up dying anyway... She doesn't seem to be gravid though. When she was, she wasn't as aggressive, but more shy and was stinking any time you touched her.

I'll check her for left over skin, but I don't recall seeing any.. I've had to remove some from the baby snakes a few times, and I noticed that just by a quick glance.

maybe you should take her to the vet then. its unusual for a healthy snake with a consitiant life to go thoruhg such a mood change for seemingly no reason  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm
Shanna66
maybe you should take her to the vet then. its unusual for a healthy snake with a consitiant life to go thoruhg such a mood change for seemingly no reason
She's always been a little aggressive, but it's just so much worse now... actually striking the glove I'm wearing. Before it used to be a threatening gesture..

I have no clue what vet to take her to. I had a hard enough time finding a vet for my birds in this area..

I can't help but think that maybe they both would just be happier back outside. It wasn't really fair of me to make them pets in a tank when they grew up used to being able to eat whatever they want and slither all day... And right now would be a perfect time to put them back out, it's spring and there's a bunch of food everywhere for them. I saw at least 3 of them in my backyard the other day, so there's gotta be something that they like, lol.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:37 pm
kage no neko
Shanna66
She's always been a little aggressive, but it's just so much worse now... actually striking the glove I'm wearing. Before it used to be a threatening gesture..

I have no clue what vet to take her to. I had a hard enough time finding a vet for my birds in this area..

I can't help but think that maybe they both would just be happier back outside. It wasn't really fair of me to make them pets in a tank when they grew up used to being able to eat whatever they want and slither all day... And right now would be a perfect time to put them back out, it's spring and there's a bunch of food everywhere for them. I saw at least 3 of them in my backyard the other day, so there's gotta be something that they like, lol.

i would get them used to live food again before setting them free just in case.

also if they have been living happily in captivity till now i doubt its because thye miss the wild. reptiles dont feel emotions the same way we do

also call around and look online. see if you can find a reptile or exotic pet shop in your area and ask what vet they recomend. or maybe your bird vet knows a good snake vet. i met my herp vet through my cat vet so you never know smile  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 pm
Shanna66
i would get them used to live food again before setting them free just in case.

also if they have been living happily in captivity till now i doubt its because thye miss the wild. reptiles dont feel emotions the same way we do

also call around and look online. see if you can find a reptile or exotic pet shop in your area and ask what vet they recomend. or maybe your bird vet knows a good snake vet. i met my herp vet through my cat vet so you never know smile
I don't think SHE would have any problem with live food. Last year we used to get little fish for them and she loved chasing them down. He just hid the whole time..

I'm not sure how happy he is. He's just been curled up in a corner most of the time. I take him out and feed him, occasionally see him soaking in the water dish. She spends most of her time in the hide, and comes out any time anyone walks past. Sometimes my one cat sits beside the tank and they stare at each other, trying to figure out what the other is.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games