Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
is tile an ok surface for guinea pigs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:28 pm
So today it's windy and cold outside, so I assumed the piggies wouldn't be to happy out there. But I don't like seeing them cramped in their little cage all day either, so after a heap of laptime with all of them, when mum was talking to a friend, I decided to go set up my shower. Wasn't sure how she felt about them running around in it, but it's the shower that only I use, it's easy to clean, and it's a big shower. So I covered the tiles of the shower in paper and puppy pads (left over from petsitting my brothers puppy), put the pigs and their pipes and pigloo in there, fed them some veggies and thought about how nice it would be if it could be their permanant home (Except you know, it's not the best ventilation and I uhh... feel my hygeine is quite important and that I should take a shower). Sat outside the shower with the door open for a while, then left them to it with the door closed. Come back half an hour later and they've really made quite a mess sweatdrop

Anyway, they still had the paper and puppy pads to be on, but they were also walking over just the tile quite a bit. Will walking over tile be bad for them? I actually thought it might be good to wear their nails down, but I'm not sure...  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 pm
I really dont think there is any harm in them walking on it. My bunny walks on tile all the time in our home, and while its not one of his favorite type's floor (when he tries to run he slips and slides, he likes carpet for the traction) I have never seen it cause him harm.
The only way I could see there could be issues is if they are left alone a long long long time and left to walk all in their poop and pee, since tile isnt very absorbent.
also if your really that worried about it, buy some canvas (sold at fabric stores) and lay that across the whole floor. My friends did that to protect their apartment carpet from their chinchilla. You can get pretty big pieces, i think the one they have is around 6x8 feet

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm
Tile's fine as long as they're not gnawing on the grout, which few pigs do anyways :3 Some love a hard surface or two to run around on, others.... not as much xD but it's not a problem for them, as long as they're comfortable with it. :3  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games