Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm
I don't know why I thought this but I thought for some reason if I bathed my cat she'd have less of a shedding issue. I used johnsons baby shampoo because I thought that was okay for cats.
But now her fur is just all matted and falling off in large clumps. I dunno wtf ):  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 am
are you sure shes not shedding its about that time of the year  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 am
Did you brush her while she was drying to make sure her fur didn't get tangled? That could account for the matts, and the fur coming out in clumps if you have matts that are shedding out.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am
Are there are bald patches on her? If not I wouldn't worry. The thing about bathing, is it indeeds helps with shedding, but loosening up ALL the dead hair. So instead of shedding constantly it all comes out right away. Which is why a groomer usually follows up with a high pressure dryer to blow all the hair out, or a very thorough brushing. Otherwise, expect a lot of hair loss in the next couple days. Also remember baths can be extremely stressful for cats, which leads to further hair loss.

I personally have only bathed my 13yr old cat once, only because he urinated and pooed in his carrier. Was drenched in pee and just HAD to be bathed. Otherwise he does a damn good job on his own. But then he has a nice natural medium coat.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 am
I'd suggest brushing her. That should help with the matting and help with removal of the loose hair. Also check to make sure there are no bald spots. If there are none, then it's just her regular shedding. If there are bald spots, then you should worry, as it could be something in the food she's eating, an allergy, a skin condition, or even something with the shampoo you used. If there are bald spots, I'd suggest taking her to the vet, just in case.

For the shampoo, I wouldn't suggest using a human shampoo on her. The soaps and other ingredients in them aren't good for use on animals. I'd suggest using Earth Bath. All the ingredients in Earth Bath are safe for animals and the environment, and won't build up on their fur either. biggrin I've used that on my cat, and her fur was super soft and shiny, and she smelled really nice for quite a while. biggrin It was also really easy to rinse out too. I also found I didn't have to use quite as much of it as I did any other kind I tried. biggrin I know Earth Bath shampoo can be found at Petco. With the exception of one shampoo, all their formulas can be used on both cats and dogs. biggrin The one formula that can't be used on cats is their orange peel oil because cats can be allergic to the orange peel (though the allergy is rare), so they suggest not to use it on cats, just in case. biggrin  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games