Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I am a genius.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HALLELUJAH!
  Halleluyah!
  Alleluia!
  ...Yay!
View Results

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm
If you happened to see my whiny thread a couple months ago where I was talking about thinking I had celiac disease... well, I cut out gluten entirely, aside from falling off the wagon a couple times because I was craving it INSANELY. (You see, when gluten isn't digested properly, it releases opiates into the bloodstream, which probably explains that as well as my bear-like hibernation habits. Poppies!... *cough* XD )

I just got back from the doctor, and I am for the first time totally and completely healthy. She said I am the healthiest patient she has. All my levels and numbers for everything are absolutely perfect.

Suites, I have been struggling with this for over 10 years. I don't know how much over, because it took me a while to realize that it wasn't normal. So thank your lucky stars that you don't have to listen to me go on like a sickly old man anymore. XD  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 pm
Glad to hear it! It's amazing that Celiac disease can cause drastic changes, yet when gluten is removed from the diet, it's like nothing has happened to your guts.  

Aaditya

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:34 pm
Thats so good to hear hun (and im sure M will be happy as well xD ) hopefully it stays that way <3  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:59 pm
Yay! I'm glad you figured it out finally.

It's sad celiac disease isn't a more common thing to test for, but I guess that might be due to the rate of the intolerance.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Biohazardous Lollipop

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:42 am
That's so good to hear from you Szen-y pie! :]

Now I'm wondering if something like that might relate to my sleeping issues.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:30 pm
PainfullyVivid

It's sad celiac disease isn't a more common thing to test for, but I guess that might be due to the rate of the intolerance.
I'm quite surprised celiac disease isn't more commonly tested for, myself. But then I used to work in a supermarket bakery that dedicated an entire shelving unit to gluten free products, and it always sells well in my tiny tiny city so I just assumed it was more of an issue worth looking for o_o  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 pm
Hey Szen, welcome to the Coeliac club biggrin
I wish had your willpower though, I eat gluten ALL THE TIME. I just can't stop. Although I did notice white spots on my nails recently (which my medical student friend tells me is indicative of a calcium deficiency), so I've been trying harder lately. But really, it's been 4 years since I was diagnosed and I haven't stuck to my gluten free diet that well at all, but trampolining has improved my bone density.

Glad you're feeling better Szen, I ought to take a leaf from your book and cut out gluten completely. Did you get a solid diagnosis?  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 pm
Thanks, everyone. XD
I actually started trying around the beginning of the year, but whenever I fall off the wagon, I reset the time mentally, so I'm not sure exactly how long I've been trying the gluten-free. But when I posted my last thread (which I think was March?) I was already at the point where I was feeling better even though I hadn't cut it out completely. Hence my frustration at thinking I may be on to something that never crossed my doctor's mind.

Qui, I can understand. I used to have some amount of disbelief that people could really have so much trouble quitting smoking. I thought, well, just STOP. It's not brain surgery. But now that I've experienced wheat withdrawal, now I understand. XDDD It was not easy, and I was starving all the time, even though I ate a lot of non-gluten food. Do you have to keep going to the doctor to have it monitored?

I didn't bother to get an official diagnosis, because the last round of tests was enough to convince me. Nothing else changed except the removal of gluten from my diet. My doctor would always just prescribe more supplements and act like I obviously hadn't been taking them like she told me to, even though I had been. I kind of thought she was getting on to something when she said I was having fat malabsorption issues, but then she never did anything about it except continue to prescribe supplements. DX

Also, it would mean more tests and doctor's visits, which I have to pay for out of pocket, and they are far from cheap and I'm seriously underpaid. It doesn't cost me anything to just not eat gluten. XD  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm
So glad to hear that your health and feeling better. It's very nice when your able to fix things isn't it? smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:47 pm
Glad your feeling better biggrin  

scrub
Crew

Annai-chansan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 pm
That is amazing Szen biggrin so glad you feel better...although also slightly sad you had to figure it all out by yourself without a doctor...I would have thought it would be at least something to look for testing if one is being healthy but not feeling healthy...or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 pm
I see, sorry I can really insensitive, I'm just used to my own health service being free. It took my doctor over a year of stuffing me with iron supplements to actually consider coeliac disease as a possible cause.

But yeah, it's really hard to stop, especially if you're far from home and have no food, sometimes your only choice is to eat gluten. Even if you honestly tried, you'd end up eating it at some point. I drank a bottle of Ribena at some point and then realised they made it with wheat sad  

AquilaLiberum

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 am
Nah, you're not insensitive. It's the 10% of Americans who own 75% of the country's wealth who are insensitive. Interesting that you had the same kind of experience with the supplements.

It's in everything, so if you don't/can't cook your own meals, it would be really difficult. Even if you do, I keep finding out that it's in things like soy sauce that I'd never have imagined. @_@

Thanks, guys. I'm glad too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 pm
Junimaia
PainfullyVivid

I'm quite surprised celiac disease isn't more commonly tested for, myself. But then I used to work in a supermarket bakery that dedicated an entire shelving unit to gluten free products, and it always sells well in my tiny tiny city so I just assumed it was more of an issue worth looking for o_o

yeah, i think that's why i'm surprised, too.
my boss' wife is celiac, so we have gluten free options for everything where i work and heaps of people order them - some are gluten intolerant, some are celiac and some people with lactose intolerance order them, too.

diffun

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff