Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:52 am

...to the land of the employed. Got a job at a Bed and Breakfast, I start in a few hours. I couldn't sleep at all last night because.....I'M SO EXCITED I GET TO SPEND MONEY ON MY FISH AGAIN. It's been sooooo long. My poor fish are miserable here because of the water (it's too hard.) I've lost a few and that's really depressing, especially considering my boyfriend spent $60 on getting them shipped here and all. Now, first I need to contribute to bills but whatevers left over after that I need so much stuff. A stand, a hood (mine got left behind), some driftwood and peat moss to make the water softer and because driftwood is awesome, some sand, some pots, more plants because lack of hood has been killing mine, and some more fish. Then I get to work more on the pond, which I've decided against axololts just because I don't wanna spend that much modding this property since I don't own it, but I'm gonna get hillstream loaches (the ones that look like tiny sting rays) and maybe some other fish for it after I get a new canister or pond filter. Wooo!

Then after all of that is over and done with, I gotta get the cat a cat tree, Lazy needs a new cage and some climbing stuff, etc etc. Lol, when will I have money to buy new clothes? Who knows.

The only lame part is that I'm not working 7 days a week, but I figure since I'll be biking there everyday it's worth it two fold because I'll lose weight. And it's a pretty easy job and it won't be too many hours a day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:03 am
Congrats on a job yay!  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:04 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Congrats on a job yay!

Thanks Gabby!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:06 pm
Congrats on the job!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin I'm sure that once you're able to buy stuff for your aquarium, the fish will be much happier. biggrin I'm also sure your cat will love the cat tree when you get it. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:06 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Congrats on the job!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin I'm sure that once you're able to buy stuff for your aquarium, the fish will be much happier. biggrin I'm also sure your cat will love the cat tree when you get it. biggrin

Thanks! I think once I soften the water they'll be fine, it's waaaay too hard here, our old water was soft. Annnd, my boyfriend said that if I can't find a stand on CL here (no one really posts in the pet section in our city) then if I can find a good one in the city he works in, he'll pick it up for me :3 And my cat is gonna freak out lol, a cat tree all to herself. She's never had one to her self before that she could use whenever she wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 am
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Thanks! I think once I soften the water they'll be fine, it's waaaay too hard here, our old water was soft. Annnd, my boyfriend said that if I can't find a stand on CL here (no one really posts in the pet section in our city) then if I can find a good one in the city he works in, he'll pick it up for me :3 And my cat is gonna freak out lol, a cat tree all to herself. She's never had one to her self before that she could use whenever she wanted.

lol She definitely won't know what to think. She'll probably be like "Is this really all mine?" XD

I have hard water here too. For my fish tank, I use gallon jugs of distilled water since its hardness, pH and alkalinity is much better than our water. The tank being a 10 gallon does help in that too lol. Charcoal loves the boxes they come in (I buy cases), as does Bandit. Charcoal loves hiding inside them and then popping out and tapping my legs or Bandit's legs as we go by the box. Then after looking at us like "Got you!" she goes back inside and waits for me or Bandit to walk by again. rofl Bandit loves shredding them. xd It's so fun to watch. I'm gonna record one of Bandit's shredding sessions and post it. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

lol She definitely won't know what to think. She'll probably be like "Is this really all mine?" XD

I have hard water here too. For my fish tank, I use gallon jugs of distilled water since its hardness, pH and alkalinity is much better than our water. The tank being a 10 gallon does help in that too lol. Charcoal loves the boxes they come in (I buy cases), as does Bandit. Charcoal loves hiding inside them and then popping out and tapping my legs or Bandit's legs as we go by the box. Then after looking at us like "Got you!" she goes back inside and waits for me or Bandit to walk by again. rofl Bandit loves shredding them. xd It's so fun to watch. I'm gonna record one of Bandit's shredding sessions and post it. biggrin

Lol, yeah I wouldn't be able to go out and buy as much water as I need for the tank and the pond every week. Though I might be doing that when I get my next tank since it'll be SW and idk about getting an ro/di system thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 am
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Lol, yeah I wouldn't be able to go out and buy as much water as I need for the tank and the pond every week. Though I might be doing that when I get my next tank since it'll be SW and idk about getting an ro/di system thing.

I'm only doing that for my fish tank. It would be too expensive to do that for my RES, Squirtle too. I would need well over 40 gallons, close to 50 gallons all together. I'm gonna try to see if I could find some product that would be safe for RES turtles that would reduce the hardness of the water. I found some that is good for fish use and have been using it. smile I think I have located some for turtle use.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

I'm only doing that for my fish tank. It would be too expensive to do that for my RES, Squirtle too. I would need well over 40 gallons, close to 50 gallons all together. I'm gonna try to see if I could find some product that would be safe for RES turtles that would reduce the hardness of the water. I found some that is good for fish use and have been using it. smile I think I have located some for turtle use.

The hardness might not be a problem for Squirtle, seeing as they have regular skin and they don't breathe the water etc. Might even be beneficial. My snail is doing much better here than he was before we moved. The hard water is good for him, he's grown to twice the size he was before.

Some peat moss in the filter will help reduce the pH and hardness. Dirftwood does as well. You can also collect rain water if you're into that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 am
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

The hardness might not be a problem for Squirtle, seeing as they have regular skin and they don't breathe the water etc. Might even be beneficial. My snail is doing much better here than he was before we moved. The hard water is good for him, he's grown to twice the size he was before.

Some peat moss in the filter will help reduce the pH and hardness. Dirftwood does as well. You can also collect rain water if you're into that kind of thing.

Main reason I want to try to reduce the hardness in the water is that poor squirtle is getting calcium deposits on his shell. We obviously have a lot of calcium in our water. The tank has calcium deposits pretty bad on it too. They make it hard to watch Squirtle if he's around where they are, and they are a pain to remove...  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:12 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Main reason I want to try to reduce the hardness in the water is that poor squirtle is getting calcium deposits on his shell. We obviously have a lot of calcium in our water. The tank has calcium deposits pretty bad on it too. They make it hard to watch Squirtle if he's around where they are, and they are a pain to remove...

Yeah, that can be annoying. Try a toothbrush?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 am
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Toothbrush isn't enough. A razor hardly works... I'd rather not scratch up the tank, so I'd rather not use a razor. That and it makes a horrible high pitch screeching noise. I obviously don't want to use that on Squirtle's shell lol. I clean his shell of with a toothbrush, but the calcium deposits remain, generally. sad We have a chemical that's supposed to remove calcium deposits, but I'd rather wait until I upgrade Squirtle's tank to use it on the tank, so I don't have to worry about the chemical still being there, or any residue for returning squirtle to it. After upgrading the tank, I wanna try to remove the calicum deposits and save it for a future pet, I'm thinking beardies. XD I'll have to wait until I move out to get the future pet, as the only animal I'm allowed to bring into the house is more fish, which will hopefully be within a year after I graduate. I graduate in December this year! biggrin I also want to get an iguana at some point. biggrin I'm sure the tank that Squirtle is in now will probably be plenty big enough for beardies. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Toothbrush isn't enough. A razor hardly works... I'd rather not scratch up the tank, so I'd rather not use a razor. That and it makes a horrible high pitch screeching noise. I obviously don't want to use that on Squirtle's shell lol. I clean his shell of with a toothbrush, but the calcium deposits remain, generally. sad We have a chemical that's supposed to remove calcium deposits, but I'd rather wait until I upgrade Squirtle's tank to use it on the tank, so I don't have to worry about the chemical still being there, or any residue for returning squirtle to it. After upgrading the tank, I wanna try to remove the calicum deposits and save it for a future pet, I'm thinking beardies. XD I'll have to wait until I move out to get the future pet, as the only animal I'm allowed to bring into the house is more fish, which will hopefully be within a year after I graduate. I graduate in December this year! biggrin I also want to get an iguana at some point. biggrin I'm sure the tank that Squirtle is in now will probably be plenty big enough for beardies. biggrin

Have you tried vinegar? When you're cleaning a tank, it's always best to try every non chemical route possible first, then if all else fails go with chemicals. Vinegar and/or baking soda should help dissolve the deposits and then you can just scrub them away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:24 pm
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345
Vanilla eXee
CrissAngelLover12345

Have you tried vinegar? When you're cleaning a tank, it's always best to try every non chemical route possible first, then if all else fails go with chemicals. Vinegar and/or baking soda should help dissolve the deposits and then you can just scrub them away.

No I haven't, I'll have to try it.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces