Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I think the cause of my fish's death was...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 pm
[♫=♥]

overfeeding. My parents think animals know when to stop eating. They are completely clueless at the fact that we all do not know when to stop eating which is why people and animals can get fat!
gonk
But I'm sure the fungus made it worse.
Oh god I couldn't look at it, it gave me the goosebumps when I tried to move it. I told my dad to throw it away for me. He thinks it's because I didn't feed it.
When the fish's poor swollen tummy makes it obvious that it's been overfed. crying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 am

Most of the time, the reason not to over feed is because the uneaten food will rot away in the tank. However, I have overfed a fish and had it die of exploding tummy, so that could be what happened. But also remember that they will usually get bloated when they die anyway. What kind of fungus did it have? Is there a thread I'm missing?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 am
Vanilla eXee
[♫=♥]

oh ;-;
I don't know what kind of fungus it had. It was white and was coming out of its gills. gonk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 am
Jiti
Vanilla eXee
[♫=♥]

oh ;-;
I don't know what kind of fungus it had. It was white and was coming out of its gills. gonk

You had a heater for his tank, right?

I know there is something called Fur Coat Syndrome that affects Bettas, that's basically a fungus. It usually affects Bettas when they're in unheated water, or if the water quality is poor overall.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm
Moth Feathers

You had a heater for his tank, right?

I know there is something called Fur Coat Syndrome that affects Bettas, that's basically a fungus. It usually affects Bettas when they're in unheated water, or if the water quality is poor overall.

[♫=♥]

The tank does have a heater and the temperature is at about 80 degrees. The ammonia level is at 0.02ppm so it was in a safe condition. I usually wait till it gets to 0.05 ppm to clean the tank.
My dad blames the live plants that were in the tank. :/
Now that the fish is dead, he wants to get more fish, but it's a 5 gallon tank. I don't want more fish. I only wanted one so it can be easily cared for instead of having to buy another tank to quarantine a sick fish away from other fish in case.
One fish is enough for me, but my dad believes bettas do not last long because it's one fish. :/ They live for 3 years, c'mon! gonk

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games