Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
"Im not going to heaven because Im gay" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 pm
Kyle_Nightly
People have always picked the parts they want to follow and the parts they don't. It's annoying yes, but who are we to tell them what they can and can not believe?
I can tell them the truth- if they choose not to believe it, then it's a sin of Pride and I can point that out too.

The thing about being a moral person is that sometimes that means not pretending that we're isolated- in some cases being moral means not ignoring stuff just because someone else wants to believe in a lie.

Quote:
Except:

I'm not even sure why you brought up how it's potentially harmful to LGBT* when I already included in brackets "Unless it's harmful..." etc. Because trust me, I know. I was encompassing bullying in my train of thought there. As long as everyone is comfortable and safe, I see little problem with being selective with your faith. The key component here being that everyone is having a good time.

To me, hurt and harm aren't the same thing- telling someone the truth might hurt, but it isn't harm. You can lie to someone to avoid hurting them- but you might be harming them.
Quote:

Of course when it starts getting out of hand, or dangerous to an individual or group, that's when it stops being okay.
I think it starts a long time before that- especially for Christians since bigotry isn't loving so it's against God's command to love everyone.

Quote:
The guy being talked about in this thread is a member of the LGBT* community, he is also religious and thinks he is going to Hell. If he still thinks it's worth being Religious, despite that belief and is not having aggressive inner struggles, then I am impressed.

The best cure for that is to tell the truth about what Christianity teaches instead of supporting people who cherry pick to support their homophobia. cat_3nodding
Quote:

Still standing by the "No absolute statements" thing. We're coming at it from two different angles and you seem to think I'm wrong but it's something I keep in mind when regarding any world Religion.
I think it's wrong because it's self defeating when it's looked at from all the angles. I think the problem is that the philosophy you hold refuses to accept it is possible to be wrong, or maybe that we have the ability to tell when something is wrong, it's hard to tell which.
Quote:

I Grew up with this stuff too, I've seen/experienced my fair share of Queer bashing and slut shaming because of Religion. It was all because of what people choose to put emphasis on and how they chose to practice. That, I believe is wrong.

In Christianity- sin isn't limited to actions only.

Quote:
On the other hand, people with uncertainty about heaven and hell, what leads where and etc. I'd argue the lines there are a lot more blurry. I can accept that there are multiple ways to be a Christian, I don't think this kid believing he is going to hell is exactly cherry picking.

Sure there are multiple ways to be Christian- but that doesn't make them all ways to be a good Christian.

Quote:
How you got to LGBT* issues is beyond me, I think most people here are aware of the problems we all face in society regarding some Religious views and how those are harmful.
It was a concrete example of how telling people the truth might hurt, but it prevents harm- it was a tangible thing that shows that just because Christians believe it- that doesn't make it right and people can do bad things when they focus on being tolerant instead of doing what is right.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:59 am
zach300
I do know that in the bible it says that Homosexuality is a sin but it also says that if you ask to be forgiven for your sins then you can make it into heaven.

correction, the bible does not mention that homosexuality is wrong. no where in the bible says laying or having relationships with the same sex is a sin.

"A man shall not lay with another man as he lies with a woman"

ok, but lesbians are ok?
what about gay dolphins or gay penguins?

so you see, I believe this is not reffering to homosexuality, rather than the action of being with a woman and then cheat on her with another man.  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

ZachariaAliankar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:07 am
Sin Error
zach300
I do know that in the bible it says that Homosexuality is a sin but it also says that if you ask to be forgiven for your sins then you can make it into heaven.

correction, the bible does not mention that homosexuality is wrong. no where in the bible says laying or having relationships with the same sex is a sin.

ok, but lesbians are ok?

so you see, I believe this is not reffering to homosexuality, rather than the action of being with a woman and then cheat on her with another man.

It does.... In Leviticus it talks about man lying with man (sans regard to marriage). Then Deuteronomy speaks specifically of homosexuality with the story on the Sodomites and the angel.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 am
Religion has been a battle ground for me.
I've been split with contradicting thoughts over it: I think it's ridiculous and has caused more trouble throughout history than it has helped people, I'm one of those loons that believe in extraterrestrial visitation in our past, but I was also raised Roman Catholic.
So I want to say it doesn't matter, but at the same time I can't help but worry if I'll be damned.  

heylookdixs

Invisible Regular

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am
zach300
Sin Error
zach300

ok, but lesbians are ok?

It does.... In Leviticus it talks about man lying with man (sans regard to marriage). Then Deuteronomy speaks specifically of homosexuality with the story on the Sodomites and the angel.

Can you get me those verses?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:22 pm
Wasn't there a story in the bible about a city that was full of 'sin' {ie people having sex whether it was with their own gender or the other} and that those that are being led from the city were warned not to look back? In which case one of the people did look back and was turned to stone? This was being taught in class for teens while I was still in the phase of going to church because my family and my ex's family wanted me to go. I honestly vividly remember this because I honestly thought that it was rather... idiotic, sad to say.  

Mafdet of Egypt

Dedicated Lover

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100

Ahlys

Gracious Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:16 pm

As this is MY personal opinion only when I say that Religion is not worth pouring your life over.
War, death, madness, poverty and so many other things have come from the most obsessive characters within their religion. I have no problem with any religions, being an Atheist myself....but there are people like you may find on sites like Chr*stW*re who are a disgrace to their religion, bashing everyone and everything they deem 'unholy'.

Although I don't believe in any heavenly beings myself, the facts are that any God/Gods that may or may not be love you for who you are, regardless of race, sexuality, gender and often religion.

((For the people that may actually tolerate Chr*st W*re out there, I doubt everyone on the site thinks that way, but so many are, to my mind, utterly disgusting people.))

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm
ok i am roman catholic and i have some problems with the churhs views about homosexuality but almost every person in my church accepts me and one of the most religious women i know said we must look beyond the church sometimes to realize what is right and im a gay guy and everyone pretty much accepts me so yea you can be catholic/christian and be LGBT  

IrisLove094

Ryura_Kayano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm
The Neko CatGirl
Heh, i dont believe in heaven, so I guess it isnt really an issue for meh. rolleyes but i personally feel sorry for the guy. If he truely believes what he told you, how sad and painfull.
I agree.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm
Ahlys

War, death, madness, poverty and so many other things have come from the most obsessive characters within their religion.

The problem I see is that when you can replace the word "religion" with "sex", "politics" or morality- then the cause probably isn't any of those things and is probably something else.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

blazewing2010

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:15 pm
The bible also says "JUdge not lest ye be judged." CHances are, if he hasn't repented, he's going to hell as well. He can suck on them apples.

I have several Christian friends who believe that God loves all, and created them in his own image, therefore he created the LGBT spectrum too. I believe if he did, Why would he create them specifically to go straight to hell.

Tell your friend to take his religion and shove it.

Religion is like a p***s. SOmetimes it's nice to look at it, but it's a private thing and should not be shoved down someone's throat.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm
This was written by a Roman Catholic priest on this very subject.

http://www.dignityusa.org/faq.html  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

SoulsVixen

5,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:16 pm
some one mite have all ready said this,but, i'm too lazy to check.

They always saying how jesus died to be with us and that no matter what, he loves us all. he also MADE us and planed everything for us, so if your gay, he ment it to be.

besides, if he didn't, he would be a hypocrite. and i'm sure he is not. ( I just think the people writing the bible back then didn't like gays at all.)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 am
it cracks me up (actually it makes me steaming mad, but anyway) when people are like, "Everything is part of God's plan. If it happens, He meant it to." And then if something they personally disagree with crops up, it's all, "SATAN!!!"

Anyway--I don't believe the bible was every literal or absolute. People wrote the bible, people. They may be considered holy, but they were real, flesh-and-blood, biased, fallible, prejudiced people. They, unlike God, could not possibly have been omniscient. And God, like Dumbledore, would not have told all he knows to lesser beings, who could not comprehend the very surface of his knowledge. He knows the very edges of the Universe, the inner workings of our hearts, how low we can sink and the heights we can reach. He knows what was, what is and all that could be. And thus he knows what WE know--that honest love is humanity's greatest triumph, and that it is no less great between a man and a man or two women or two men and a woman in a three-way relationship or whatever than it is between a man and a woman.  

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas