Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:20 pm
I came home from work tonight to find the right half of my cat's face swollen. My dad said to find out what dosage of Benedryl to give her and see if she's alright in the morning.

I have no idea what happened to her. I was doing some research and people were saying that they were having the same thing happen to their cats. The only explanation that made sense to me was an insect bite.

My cat loves to eat bugs. Especially june bugs. Usually during spring we see her catching birds, bunnies, mice, snakes, and the occasional squirrel. This year we found several dead opossums. This worries me, especially since she's getting older.

I'm hoping that it's just an insect bite and that I have nothing to worry about. Any advice on what I should look out for? Should I give her any Benedryl or wait to see what a vet says if things get worse?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 am
its probably an insect bite if it happned that fast,or maybe a bite of another kind,keep an eye on it,I dont know if you should give benadryl,Im thinking not,but I dont know much,I know DOGS can have it,IDk about cats,there are some people in the guild who would know,I am not one sadly,I hope shes ok though,please keep us updated!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:44 am
I agree with Cowgirl. Insiect bite ssoounnds likely. Watch for hives, and since it is her FACE, moniter closely that her airway does not swell. Unfortunately I don't have the dose for Benadryl handy. My home vet handbook simply says to apply ice to swollen area and if you know the sting location, remove any stingers and make a paste with baking soda and water to apply it to the area.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:02 pm
Good news is, it's not a bug bite. Bad news is, I have no idea what it is. I found a cut in her cheek that I didn't see last night. I don't think it's infected, but I'm worried about her going outside. I'm going to take her to the vat first chance I get.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Today I found three red wounds on her cheek. I bought some peroxide and put it on the wound. One of them burst and I ended up pulling about 2oz of puss out of it and it still looks like the other two wounds still have puss in them. It was highly infected yellow. I'm taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. My boyfriend thinks it's staph and I think it's bot flies, which she's had before.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 pm
Gwen_Katara
Today I found three red wounds on her cheek. I bought some peroxide and put it on the wound. One of them burst and I ended up pulling about 2oz of puss out of it and it still looks like the other two wounds still have puss in them. It was highly infected yellow. I'm taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. My boyfriend thinks it's staph and I think it's bot flies, which she's had before.
ooohhhh I hope its nothing serious poor dear...please continue with the updates  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm
Good news. It's just an infection. Vet gave me some antibiotics and wants to do a follow up next week. Looks like she got into another fight with a cat and didn't end up winning this time.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm

You can give cats benydryl, but you should always call your vet for dosage. I called my vet up and he suggested the regular kind to make my cat drowsy for a flight, I decided against it though.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Gwen_Katara
Good news. It's just an infection. Vet gave me some antibiotics and wants to do a follow up next week. Looks like she got into another fight with a cat and didn't end up winning this time.
well thats good smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am
Follow up appointment later today.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:15 pm
Poor thing! Infections can get really nasty. With that much pus I am so glad you went to the vet.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm
Vanilla eXee

You can give cats benydryl, but you should always call your vet for dosage. I called my vet up and he suggested the regular kind to make my cat drowsy for a flight, I decided against it though.
I really agree with this.

&& Good to know it's only an infection. Good thing you went to the vet. At least you know what's going on now.  

pompoennetje

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff