Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So you think Americans aren't retarded...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How many sides does a triangle have?
  Hint: Its not 4
View Results

La Bijou

Swashbuckling Wench

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:39 pm
*facepalm*  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:12 pm
I'm not sure if this is serious or a joke... But wow. sad  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Superna Zherom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 am
I could only watch it halfway before I could stomach no more.

I doubt I'd be that much better but at least I'd admit my shortcomings. lol geez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm
Part of this is just people being stupid, and the other part is probably our education system in general. I don't remember the last time I had a geography class or a class that even mentioned geography. It had to be sometime in elementary school. I know I didn't have one during and after 5th grade. Of course, I've recognized my geography mostly and tried to make myself less stupid.

Politics and world news is also similar. Local news stations never talk about world issues (as they might in other countries). Political networks seem to make a lot of statements without backing it up with fact. 700 Club came on, and I was changing the channel, but during that, they had some guy talking about how entitlement programs like welfare, medicaid, etc were just money pits while putting money in our defense fund for the military apparently gave us back money. Then it cut away to something else without even mentioning how the ******** it would give us back money.

Of course, people could realize that they are ignorant about certain important issues and seek information, but it's so much easier to not bother. And it is hard to really know about all the political issues and wars and everything without devoting a chunk of time to it.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:05 am
Man... The founding fathers may not have been entirely wrong when they created the electoral college. =C  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 pm
This is kind of sad, but also hilarious!!! I laughed so hard. It's a shame, though, that there are people out there who are ignorant to knowledge. Personally, I try to retain and learn as much information as I can since I love learning. I wish everyone were as passionate about it as me.  

[.oishii`.

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:03 pm
xd I think I lost it when they brought out the map. I wonder how many people in the world actually have a good handle on their geography. The last time I actually properly studied world geography was in 6th grade.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:22 pm
PainfullyVivid
Part of this is just people being stupid, and the other part is probably our education system in general. I don't remember the last time I had a geography class or a class that even mentioned geography. It had to be sometime in elementary school. I know I didn't have one during and after 5th grade. Of course, I've recognized my geography mostly and tried to make myself less stupid.

Politics and world news is also similar. Local news stations never talk about world issues (as they might in other countries). Political networks seem to make a lot of statements without backing it up with fact. 700 Club came on, and I was changing the channel, but during that, they had some guy talking about how entitlement programs like welfare, medicaid, etc were just money pits while putting money in our defense fund for the military apparently gave us back money. Then it cut away to something else without even mentioning how the ******** it would give us back money.

Of course, people could realize that they are ignorant about certain important issues and seek information, but it's so much easier to not bother. And it is hard to really know about all the political issues and wars and everything without devoting a chunk of time to it.

^This.

Via the internet over the years I've learned that it's not normal to know nothing about countries outside of yours. It's kinda bad when you're talking to someone in the Netherlands and they know more about what's going on with your government than you do. lol

Here school doesn't prepare us for anything except college, it's not taken seriously, our media outlets are so focused on celebrities and bullshit stories that we never get the facts. I remember when all that s**t with Libya went down a few months ago it took the news here a few days to report about it. I kept reading updates online, waiting to hear about it on the news, nothing. It's bullshit.

People wonder why I don't watch tv. :/  

Biohazardous Lollipop

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces