Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I went to Petco... (also with some updates on the animals)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 am
...and got a Furminator for Bandit and Charcoal (one for each, two separate ones) since they were on sale. biggrin I brushed Bandit with his, and I got a majority of his shedding fur removed pretty quick (he has been shedding pretty badly). His fur is so much softer now and he looks so much better now too! biggrin I also brushed Charcoal a little bit with hers (as much as she would let me, which was only for a few minutes), and I got a lot out of her too (she too is shedding pretty bad). biggrin

Last Friday, I got Squirtle the new lamp fixture and the self ballasting Mercury Bulb that emits all the light waves that Squirtle needs, and Squirtle's shell is already starting to look better. biggrin

Charcoal's fur is even softer since I put her on the combination feeding with Wellness Core for the dry food and regular Wellness for the canned food. biggrin I also got one of those clickers for some click training. I'm probably gonna start with the sit command and then move to others. XD I might try some click training for Bandit too. biggrin

Bandit's fur is also much softer on the Wellness Core. biggrin He's also a lot more energetic than he used to be. biggrin His fur is now the softest fur of all the dogs. XD I want to weigh him again sometime soon to find out if he lost any weight. smile I'll update after I weigh him. biggrin He should have lost some weight as his activity has gone up a bit and most of the treats have now been eliminated. He's now getting one to no treats per day now. biggrin

I watched some of the show "Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet (one of the few times I actually watched it, it's been ages since i watched it, not liking most of the programs they play at this point, the only ones I'll really watch now are Cat from Hell and It's me or the Dog to learn some better ways to train cats and dogs. smile ) and I decided to try some of the techniques I learned with Charcoal, and so far, it seems to be working. biggrin A lot of her behavioral issues disappeared when I got her the cat tree, though some remained afterwards. Those ones have started to go away now that I'm doing some of what I saw on Cat from Hell. biggrin

My dad can't seem to figure out that his giving Boots table scraps is not going to get him to stop begging, but is actually going to make the begging worse... >.< He seems to get annoyed with it, but isn't willing to simply push him off, instead, he gives him a little piece of what ever meat we are having and tells him to go away, as if it's going to help... >.< He also can't figure out why Boots is only interested in him for treats. I keep trying to tell him that Boots is only interested in him for treats because he associates him with treats, not with anything else. The most attention my dad usually gives him is giving him treats, same goes with the dogs.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:46 pm
My Cat from Hell is an amazing show! I can't wait to try and use some of the things with Ika. One being that she will have some higher perches than the one she has.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Mistress of Rain
My Cat from Hell is an amazing show! I can't wait to try and use some of the things with Ika. One being that she will have some higher perches than the one she has.

Charcoal has a bunch of really high places on her cat tree that she can sit on and look outside, and she loves it! I'll be walking up from taking the trash out and see her watching me. XD She's almost always laying in one of those high spots. When I move out, I'll probably build some other stuff that she can transition from the cat tree to them and explore around and play on, as she loves being in high places. I've been working on allowing her to sniff me and "pet" me before I start petting her, and she has calmed down a lot and seems to be enjoying that. biggrin If she sniffs me and walks away or looks away, I don't touch her, I wait for her to "pet" me first. biggrin I've also been trying to remind myself not to try to pet her every time she walks up to me, as she doesn't always want to be petted when she does until she has at least sniffed me. ^_^ I'm also probably going to put some plexiglass or something of the sort on the cubby holes in my desk where she keeps getting into to keep her out of it, and I can then display stuff behind it (not that anyone other than me enters my room, but it would save the stuff I put in there from her). I want to watch more of My Cat from Hell and continue to learn from it. biggrin

I'll also work on getting her used to being brushed since I want to do that more regularly now that I finally have a brush for her. biggrin

I'll also let you all know how the clicker training is going. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:12 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

Charcoal has a bunch of really high places on her cat tree that she can sit on and look outside, and she loves it! I'll be walking up from taking the trash out and see her watching me. XD She's almost always laying in one of those high spots. When I move out, I'll probably build some other stuff that she can transition from the cat tree to them and explore around and play on, as she loves being in high places. I've been working on allowing her to sniff me and "pet" me before I start petting her, and she has calmed down a lot and seems to be enjoying that. biggrin If she sniffs me and walks away or looks away, I don't touch her, I wait for her to "pet" me first. biggrin I've also been trying to remind myself not to try to pet her every time she walks up to me, as she doesn't always want to be petted when she does until she has at least sniffed me. ^_^ I'm also probably going to put some plexiglass or something of the sort on the cubby holes in my desk where she keeps getting into to keep her out of it, and I can then display stuff behind it (not that anyone other than me enters my room, but it would save the stuff I put in there from her). I want to watch more of My Cat from Hell and continue to learn from it. biggrin

I'll also work on getting her used to being brushed since I want to do that more regularly now that I finally have a brush for her. biggrin

yeah Ika is truely one of those cats that can probably be put on to that show >< Though at the old house where she lived she had place to climb she normally was hiding some where, or if we got lucky she would be relaxing on a couch arm.

In my apartment she can have my bed and I want to try and see if i can put up a couple of shelves for her and have tops of bookselves clean for her.

I still need to figure out how to get her use to wind again (she has a fear of it now) and need to maybe get her to let people touch her feet... i would like to not be teared to bits.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 pm
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

yeah Ika is truely one of those cats that can probably be put on to that show >< Though at the old house where she lived she had place to climb she normally was hiding some where, or if we got lucky she would be relaxing on a couch arm.

In my apartment she can have my bed and I want to try and see if i can put up a couple of shelves for her and have tops of bookselves clean for her.

I still need to figure out how to get her use to wind again (she has a fear of it now) and need to maybe get her to let people touch her feet... i would like to not be teared to bits.

She's thankfully not one that really badly needs to go on the show anymore. She used to be a great candidate, though. sweatdrop She still has some issues, but I'm working on those, and doing well. biggrin I can't wait to move out and give her more space to be able to move around and play. biggrin

For getting her to allow people to touch her feet, maybe try gently touching her feet followed quickly by praise and a treat to get her to associate touching of her feet with good things. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

She's thankfully not one that really badly needs to go on the show anymore. She used to be a great candidate, though. sweatdrop She still has some issues, but I'm working on those, and doing well. biggrin I can't wait to move out and give her more space to be able to move around and play. biggrin

For getting her to allow people to touch her feet, maybe try gently touching her feet followed quickly by praise and a treat to get her to associate touching of her feet with good things. biggrin

i was handing her a treat and brushed against a foot and got a swat and a hit.... she completely didn't want the treat after that sweatdrop

but it is just something i will have to work on once she and I start to try and bond...  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

i was handing her a treat and brushed against a foot and got a swat and a hit.... she completely didn't want the treat after that sweatdrop

but it is just something i will have to work on once she and I start to try and bond...

Having a good bond will probably help a lot too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

XD *nod* i know... kind of hard to do when no animals are aloud in the house and thus she is living in a bathroom until I move back up to school -_-; but soon... soon I can start bonding with her...  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 am
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain
CrissAngelLover12345
Mistress of Rain

XD *nod* i know... kind of hard to do when no animals are aloud in the house and thus she is living in a bathroom until I move back up to school -_-; but soon... soon I can start bonding with her...

I'm having a similar difficulty with Charcoal. Because Boots has Feline Leukemia, I am keeping her in my room to prevent her from getting it, so I've been spending time with her as I can, making sure I take time out of the day at some point to play with her, pet her (when she lets me lol), and train her. Though being pretty much the only one who interacts with her, I have the strongest bond with her of everyone, lol. My mom has the second strongest, as she feeds Charcoal when I'm at work during feeding time, though my bond is stronger than my mom's bond.

I have the strongest bond with Boots too, as I let him come to me before petting him, I let him ask me to pick him up before I'll pick him up, I hold him in a way that he's comfortable, and I put him down when he wants to be put down. My dad and brother go to him and pick him up even if he doesn't want to be picked up, and my brother does it in such an abrupt manor that also startles him, holds him in ways he doesn't like being held, and doesn't put him down when he wants to be put down, and can't figure out why Boots doesn't like him... rolleyes  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games