Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Whoa Vancouver WHOOOA

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Not cool man, not cool.
  >:/
View Results

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:03 pm
Sooooo, if you haven't been paying attention to the news, Canucks lost their big hockey game last night. Downtown Vancouver decided to throw a tantrum over it and set cars aflame in the streets and break into stores and start up brawls. There were police riot squads and everything.

Fortunately I live across the water from downtown, but seeing smoke in the sky from my bedroom window was really unsettling. I was actually worried for a moment that the raucous would actually migrate across the bridge to here but police got control of the situation before that. Still, just whoa. I'm really disturbed the crowd mobbed like that after a hockey game, I mean it was THE hockey game but still. Hospitals getting full up with injured people? That sounds like the kind of thing that'd happen in a natural disaster or wartime maybe, but this... ugh. Riots are not pretty.

I gotta hand it to the street cleaners though... I was watching them on the news last night after the crowd got ushered elsewhere... those things clean up the mess SUPER fast o_o  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:41 pm
I saw that on the news. Makes me wonder why hotels abuse anime convention attendees so badly. At least we're not hockey/soccer fans. >_>  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm
Apparently it wasn't even hockey fans that started it, it was just people wearing hockey jerseys so the had an excuse to riot.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 am
I love this

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:21 am
Stuff like that has happened near me too, I live (for the next week at least) near a football stadium that hosts Northern Ireland matches, and they can get pretty ugly. Luckily, I'm about 5 or 6 streets down from the one that connects to the stadium so I'm safe enough but let's just say I'm glad I don't live further up the road :/  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am
I saw that picture to Lici, cute xD
She has a nice a** to.  

scrub
Crew

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 am
Yeah, here it's the Superbowl. It wasn't too bad the last time. They learned from previous times and upped security. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
I didn't see this until now. o:

But yeah. The riot was apparently planned. It was going to happen no matter who won/lost.

Silly humans.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out