Submit

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:57 pm
I know that's something those of us who promote spaying/neutering always say, but we can literally say that spaying saved a life this month.

As some of your know, our family acts as "guardian" for a small family of feral cats who live in and around our yard that we've been slowly trapping for spaying/neutering. Our last trapping was this month, and we caught Irving, a tiny little innocent orange tabby, and Hisser, a gray female who already had a litter last year. Both were ones we really wanted to get done.

When my mom went to pick them up, the vet tech told her that Hisser actually had an extremely bad uterine infection, and they'd given her a 2-week antibiotic shot to help her get over it...that explains her lack of any kittens this year. So, if she hadn't been spayed, said infection wouldn't have been caught, and she would have eventually died. Spaying literally did save her life. They weren't going to charge my mom, but she insisted on knowing how much the shot was and paying it back for them.

Hisser actually worried us a bunch, as she escaped from her carrier in the middle of the night after we brought them back, but she showed up about 18 hours later. Both kitties have been doing fine since. This leaves only 1 unspayed female in our group, but Lestrad unfortunately is too wary this year to go near the traps. > - > Hisser was like that last year, though, so maybe we'll have better luck when she's a littleolder.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:07 pm
oh dear,good luck on catching that last girl,hopefully she doesnt pop out a litter,other wise you will have MORE next year,and thats awesome that the little female was lucky enough to get caught in time!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
oh dear,good luck on catching that last girl,hopefully she doesnt pop out a litter,other wise you will have MORE next year,and thats awesome that the little female was lucky enough to get caught in time!

I know; I wish Lestrad would've gotten in, too, but there's not much we can do about that for now. Can't even get near her. She actually already had a litter earlier this year, but she lost all of them within the first few days. We're not sure if it was something like Parvo (which is apparently prevalent around here right now), or if they got sick or drowned with all the rain we had that week.

She actually might be nursing or pregnant right now, actually. > - > Her stomach looks a little draggy. Unfortunately, she moves her babies far away very quickly. No way to track it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 pm
Lady Lagomorph
Cowgirl-with-heart

I know; I wish Lestrad would've gotten in, too, but there's not much we can do about that for now. Can't even get near her. She actually already had a litter earlier this year, but she lost all of them within the first few days. We're not sure if it was something like Parvo (which is apparently prevalent around here right now), or if they got sick or drowned with all the rain we had that week.

She actually might be nursing or pregnant right now, actually. > - > Her stomach looks a little draggy. Unfortunately, she moves her babies far away very quickly. No way to track it.
stressed too bad you cant tranc her,then you could get her for sure >.< unless she took off like crazy....maybe the other cats chase her away from the traps  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:05 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
Lady Lagomorph
Cowgirl-with-heart

stressed too bad you cant tranc her,then you could get her for sure >.< unless she took off like crazy....maybe the other cats chase her away from the traps
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been getting on my computer at all this week. > - >

Lestrad is definitely pregnant. I just saw her yesterday, and her tummy is round, round, round. She'll probably have the babies in the next week, from the looks of it. Poor girl. So, even if we could catch her now, we couldn't do anything.

As for the traps, she took off as soon as she heard them being set. She got caught in one of the traps last year, but we had to let her out of it - she was way too young to spay and was ramming herself so hard against the sides that she ran the risk of killing herself trying to escape. We're kind of regretting it, now, but she would've probably died either staying overnight in that cage or in the surgery the next day. Either way, she obviously hasn't forgotten her utter panic from that ordeal. x-x

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games