Spooky Update

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:18 pm
I Cant Believe I Actually Said Spooky Wouldnt Make It.
Today In The Morning I Checked On Him And He Just Seems Normal.
Yes, There Was That Little Time Where I Know Hes Getting Used To Not Having His Eye, But He Actually Looks Stable.
I Think That He Is Being More Playful Than He Was Yesterday, Before I Went To Work.
I Know, Right Now All He's Going To Do Is Rest And Eat.
But He Actually Looks Stable.
I Know, I Keep Repeating That But Im Really Happy For Spooky.
And We All Know, Hes Been A Miracle Puppy Since Yesterday.

Because, My Family Told Me That The Doctor Had Claimed Him Dead For A While. But Look At Him Now, Up And Running Like Nothing Happened.

I Can Tell Hes Having Troubles Adjusting To His Missing Eye, But I Know Hes Going To Get Through This.

And Everyone, Thanks For Caring About Him  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:36 pm
It is not Princess fault. Its yours and your families. Why on gods green earth would you leave a young puppy not only outside unsupervised but with another dog that has already showed aggression towards the puppy!?

The pup won't last more than a few day?!? Did you not take it to the vet? Are you expecting Princess to kill the pup?  

Whiskey On A Sunday

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:48 pm
Whiskey On A Sunday
It is not Princess fault. Its yours and your families. Why on gods green earth would you leave a young puppy not only outside unsupervised but with another dog that has already showed aggression towards the puppy!?

The pup won't last more than a few day?!? Did you not take it to the vet? Are you expecting Princess to kill the pup?

He Wasnt Unsupervised, My Family Was Outside Fixing The Car And Im Assuming Spooky Had Wondered Off And Thats When It Happened.
Like I Said, I Was Working.
Yes They Did, But By The Way He Looks He Doesnt Look So Steady.
I Hope Im Wrong, I Really Do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 pm
I really hope you brought have Spooky in the house to heal up and have separated the dogs.  

imderanged

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm
awe poor baby,I hope he is alright,either way you cant blame princess,I doubt she meant to do it,her being a large dog and him being small a hit could easily hurt him,even if it was meant in play,please keep us updated.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 pm
Lunchbox Material
Spooky Had Wondered Off And Thats When It Happened
*wandered, but that's beside the point.
This makes him unsupervised. The second anything becomes unsupervised is the second you can no longer see it. Children, puppies, kittens, whatever it is; the second it leaves the guardian's field of vision, it is unsupervised.

What did the vet say to do?

As for not looking so steady, to be honest, how would you feel if you just had an eye knocked out? He's probably having a bit of a time adjusting to the loss.

Don't hold Princess responsible. She doesn't understand the concept of responsibility for her actions. She's a DOG. Dogs don't grasp the concept of responsibility. It's a solely human concept. She'd already forgotten what exactly she'd done by the time you were done tying her up.

Understand, I am REALLY trying not to chew your and your family out over the irresponsibility shown in not properly introducing the two dogs. Partially because if I start, I'm going to have a hard time stopping. It's Princess' house, her family, her yard. Pits and related bully breed mixes are, by nature and by breeding, protective sometimes to the point of violence and are prone to aggression. That is just how they were bred to be. And some dogs just don't adjust well to new arrivals. Princess may be one of those dogs.
Shoving a puppy into the mix without letting the two adjust to each other was just asking for something like this to happen. I'm sorry to say that, but you can't just throw in a new animal with an established resident and expect everything to be okay. :/

Also understand, I'm not trying to accuse you of not loving these animals, in case that's somehow the way my post gets construed. I'm sure you love them very much, else you wouldn't be worrying over Spooky. But I hope you and your family learned that you don't throw two unacquainted dogs into the same territory and leave them alone for an instant. Especially not a grown one and a puppy. Puppies are like children; they can't be left alone for a second or else they get into trouble.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but when an incident could have been completely avoided... I become more than just a little bit bitchy, especially when it comes down to animals.

To soften the blow a little: Follow the vet's advice, do what you have to do in order to help the little guy heal. He will adjust to the loss. Have a little faith in him. Dogs are bloody resilient like that. But you and your folks HAVE to make sure that an infection doesn't take him first. That is his biggest enemy right now: Infection. In the meantime, research how to introduce new dogs into an established pack. That's the nice thing about the way dogs "live in the moment". They tend to forget why they didn't like something, including the new puppy. Princess should be no different. But you and your family have to be involved every step of the way, just in case she does happen to be a jealous girl and something starts. Learn to recognize the signs of aggression, and never panic. She will pick up on it and it will cause her to escalate.
But as you'll read in those links, do not punish her if she shows aggression. She is only following instinct, she doesn't know (yet) that showing aggression is unacceptable. Distract her, redirect her attention; show her that the puppy is not the source of bad things. Teach her that she will be rewarded for acceptable behavior around the new puppy. Bully breeds are smart; she'll get the idea.

I want you to understand something before I finish up here, because this is the reason I may seem to come off so bluntly/harshly/crudely: I have a very low tolerance for ignorance/naivete/not-knowing that results in someone or something getting [irreparably] hurt, especially animals. It is very easy for me to get riled when I read about situations like this, and I am a VERY passionate person when it comes to the welfare of pets. This was me holding back. And on top of that I'm trying not to seem like I'm attacking. Because I'm not and I want that known. I just want to make sure you and your folks have learned from this and that there will be no repeat incidents of this magnitude if you and your family can prevent it. And you can.

So... Yeah. Please do keep us updated. Take good care of him, and I'm sure he will bounce back.  

Eizoryu

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:15 am
Doyou mean Princess attacked the dog or hit the dog? If attacked, well it's not her fault, she's doing what she believes she should, she doesn't understand. If she hit it... well sounds like a strong and goofy dog. Not her fault.

Take good care of the pup though, sending good vibes. Don't let Princess near the pup...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 am
It's impossible to know based on what you've said, if Princess is ACTUALLY aggressive with the new arrival. 1. She growled, he yelped, that is typical older dog teaching younger dog. IF he had no injuries by the time you got outside, I doubt Princess KNEW why she was being tied, BUT that being said, it's still an incredibly bad idea to leave such a small young dog unsupervised with a big dog that hasn't been properly introduced. Even IF properly introduced, it'd be like leaving a baby with a 6yr old. You can't really just expect them to know how to be gentle and that defending their toys and food against something so small is wrong.

2. When you say she "hit" the pup, again, an eye popped out doesn't sound like an attack. It's horrible yes, but, a blunt force like a LARGE dog trying to play or wrestle could cause something like that to happen. If there were no bite marks nothing, despite the dog wandering off and in those moments being unsupervised, well I still don't think Princess has really done ANYTHING wrong yet.

That being said, she is a large, powerful breed, who may not know her own strength, she is a breed known to not get along with other dogs. Even if all seems to be going well, as the pup grows, she may feel threatened as the dominant dog. So all this to say, I would not leave the two dogs alone together when you are not home. I think despite it being an accident, your family has shown they are not really responsible and need to be explained the importance of either 100% supervision. Like the embillical cord method where you get a long maybe 12 foot leash and attach it to your belt so the dog can not wander. OR the pup needs to be crated or separated into a puppy proof area while they are distracted.

Also, if the pup has fleas, well then really the dogs should be separated anyway.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:17 pm
Updated First Post About Spooky's Condition.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:30 pm
Im glad to hear he is doing better! I hope he recovers fully,he shouldnt have too hard a time adjusting,hes a pup,and adult dogs adjust,he should be able to easier  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items