Submit

Stealthasaurus Rex

Sparkly Gekko

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:21 pm
My beloved cat Taffy, who's a nine year old orange tabby and is an indoor cat, is starting to worry me. He's acting like his normal self, except that he is breathing fairly heavily. He's not coughing and it doesn't seem like he's in pain or anything. He's never been sick, that we know of, in his life. Also, yesterday he urinated outside of the litterbox, which he's NEVER done. Should I be worried? I'm a little worried it might be feline leukemia. I'm taking him to the vet on tuesday. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

P.S. The only other cat he comes in contact with is Licorice, his sister from the same litter, who is also an indoor cat. She's never been sick either.

Here are some pictures, just so you can see how gorgeous my baby boy is. :3

User Image^Taffy <3

User Image ^Taffy and his sister Licorice (yes, they're from the same litter)

UPDATE: We took him to the vet today. Turns out there's a whole lot of fluid in his chest. So much, in fact, that she couldn't see anything in the x-ray. He's staying for a day or two at the vet's office so they can drain the fluid and try another x-ray. All we know is that most likely, it's not an infection of any sort because he doesn't have a fever and his lymph nodes aren't swollen.

POSSIBILITIES:
~Cardiac problem
~Respiratory problem
~Lymphatic tumor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:29 pm

What is his weight like?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Stealthasaurus Rex

Sparkly Gekko

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:07 pm
He's never been overweight, he's about 13-14 pounds with a long & lean build.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:24 pm
Are YOU in contact with other cats? Peeing outside the box is usually a symptom of UTI the heavy breathing could possibly be from the discomfort. Or, perhaps he picked up a Respiratory infection and doesn't feel comfortable climbing in the litter box. Can you get your hands on disposable litter trays? They're shallow and good for sick cats. Loosen or even take off his collar. What's his respiration rate like? Do you have a rectal thermometer? If you push on his gums do they stay white or come back to pink right away? Are they pink to begin with?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Are YOU in contact with other cats? Peeing outside the box is usually a symptom of UTI the heavy breathing could possibly be from the discomfort. Or, perhaps he picked up a Respiratory infection and doesn't feel comfortable climbing in the litter box. Can you get your hands on disposable litter trays? They're shallow and good for sick cats. Loosen or even take off his collar. What's his respiration rate like? Do you have a rectal thermometer? If you push on his gums do they stay white or come back to pink right away? Are they pink to begin with?

Out of curiousity, would a paint tray work as a shallow tray?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:06 pm
Azusanga
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

yup, definitely. I would also steer clear of scented litters. Last I heard, no one knows specifically why, but they can increase the risk of a UTI  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:42 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Azusanga
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

yup, definitely. I would also steer clear of scented litters. Last I heard, no one knows specifically why, but they can increase the risk of a UTI

thanks so much for posting that, fluffers has had a uti before probably from all the dry food, and since moving out ive been getting scented litters  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:02 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I just got back from a trip 2 days ago to my aunt's house.
She has 2 cats, but both of them are indoor cats as well....
Since the other day, he's been using the box,
it was just one "accident", but he never has accidents.
He doesn't wear a collar.
We tried to give the cats collars (with bells) when they were itty bitty,
but they outsmarted them in about 3 days. xD
He breathes slightly quicker than is normal for a cat,
but not extremely fast.
I don't have a thermometer, he's going to the vet tomorrow though.
His gums are pink, and there is NO way he'll let me touch them
without biting my finger off, he HATES his mouth touched.
Thanks for all the help!

Stealthasaurus Rex

Sparkly Gekko

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers