Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Prosimians =/= Monkeys =/= Apes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 am
I hate it when people confuse the difference between prosimians, monkeys, and apes. So let me break it down...

All three of these taxa are within the Primate order. All Primates share many characteristics: stereoscopic/color vision, opposable major digits, and usually one infant/birth per pregnancy, to name a few. However, all three are not the same.

First off, the Primate order is broken down into two main categories: Prosimians and Anthropoids. Prosimians include the smaller Primates, such as lemurs, tarsiers, aye-ayes, etc. Anthropoids are further broken down into Monkeys and Apes. Monkeys include capuchins, mandrills, colobus, etc, and Apes include gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans, and gibbons.

Prosimians are a class all of their own. The main differences between monkeys and apes are in physical features. Apes have no tails, have larger shoulder girdles, and have a greater brain capacity than monkeys.

However, what pisses me off the most... ... ... MOST APES ARE NOT ARBOREAL (which means locomotion by means of swinging through the trees by grabbing branches and using momentum). The mass and anatomy of the greater apes (chimpanzees, orangutans, bonobos, and gorillas) does not allow for such movement. Only the lesser apes (gibbons) utilize arboreal movement.

[-/Anthropology-nerd.Rant]  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am
Did watching George of the Jungle make you angry?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am
Not as much as Planet of the Apes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 am
I haven't seen that yet.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 am
*lawlz* well, at least when my cousin comes home from college i can avoid being corrected on that topic...
(zoology major xP i dont know where she got the idea, or where she's gunna get a job, but she's doing pretty well with it.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 am
Well, I learned something new today smile

I nerd-rant too, so I get it. It's like when my marching band friends and I watched the movie Drumline or when I watched Karate Kid after being in actual karate classes for a while. Movies suck if you want them to be based on facts and oh, you know, reality.  

The Ever-Changing Me

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 am
The Ever-Changing Me
Movies suck if you want them to be based on facts and oh, you know, reality.

So that's why M. Night Shyamalan movies are so good(?)~  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am
Thank you!
*stands and claps*

However, if observe chimpanzees they are very capable of brachiation, although they lack the wider range of motion that siamangs and gibbons.display. Chimpanzees gather food and hunt in trees. They also make nests.
Orangutans brachiate with ease. Their body isn't really designed for the ground which is why they end up with a lumber waddle when they walk, but in the trees they just soar and glide. Really magnificent.

orangutan
Not the best vid but:
orangutans and siamangs togther

*is also a bit of an athronerd*  

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 am
WEEE~! Another Anthro nerd! heart

Gibbons are my favorite 3nodding

OMG. I got into a debate about the difference between natural selection and genetic drift with some guy a few days ago. He firmly believed that genetic drift was more influential than natural selection. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face. He never even considered the fact that genetic drift occurs by random sampling rather than a necessity to survival... *rolls eyes*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 am
The Ever-Changing Me
Well, I learned something new today smile

I nerd-rant too, so I get it. It's like when my marching band friends and I watched the movie Drumline or when I watched Karate Kid after being in actual karate classes for a while. Movies suck if you want them to be based on facts and oh, you know, reality.

like when people use corn snakes in a movie and pretend they are venomous? or use waxworms when they want maggots? yeah, pisses me off and i cant stop laughing about it. thank you basic zoology and reptile obsession, you have ruined movies for me

and in the percy jackson movie medusa had ball pythons in her hair........ball pythons that had fangs  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm
lgtenos
WEEE~! Another Anthro nerd! heart

Gibbons are my favorite 3nodding

OMG. I got into a debate about the difference between natural selection and genetic drift with some guy a few days ago. He firmly believed that genetic drift was more influential than natural selection. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face. He never even considered the fact that genetic drift occurs by random sampling rather than a necessity to survival... *rolls eyes*

GIBBONS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 pm
XD You're awesome dude. But yeah there's so much falsehood in movies. ;_;

>w< Of course that doesn't make them any less entertaining.  

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items