Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
HEY YOU GUYS

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll :D
  COOKIES
View Results

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:52 pm
Soooo, in line with Dris' thread about her brother graduating high school, I post my own thread about my graduating from university! I toiled and toiled this year, and had a few breakdowns, but I ended up doing much better than I ever expected to, and got a high 2.1 (67% of my degree overall) so I'm pretty proud of myself biggrin
My actual graduation ceremony is on Monday so the past few weeks have been all about buying a suit, shirt, tie, picking up my gown and tickets, booking photography and stuff. But as of Monday at 3pm, I will have a BSc Honours degree in Zoology biggrin

So what's next?

Well, I considered taking a year out to try and figure out what to do with my life. I've been thinking about just trying to find a full time job, but there isn't much going where I live and it's all in administration. Even those jobs seem to require at least a year of previous experience, which I don't have. So I'm doing a Masters degree in Ecological Management and Conservation Biology. It's going to be really hard, as I'm now living with my parents again and therefore don't have the library 5 minutes away anymore. But I'm going to try my best, and hopefully, I'll be able to get a job in Environmental Consultancy or further research in conservation afterwards. I'm really excited, because Zoology has been the last 3 years of my life and now I'll be able to take that to the next level and apply it to an interesting career pathway biggrin

Sorry for seeming like I'm boasting, but I'm the first person in my immediate family to go to university, and now that 3 years of hard work have finally manifested themselves in the form of a good degree, I'm really excited biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm
Congratulations! : D  

Mimikyuute

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:36 pm
Congrats Qui! That's an awesome grade to finish with!

I probably still have another year to go, depending on my pending results for this years exams.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:40 pm
Music is life...
User Image

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐

Congrats!

└───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
User Image
Music IS my life...

AquaticPisces

Fashionable Conversationalist

7,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Thread Flip 150

Fuji_hobo_jacket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:36 am
Congratulations! I'm impressed you got it all done in 3 years! A girl who used to live in the same dorm as me was Zoology major, and she figured she'd be able to get it all done in 3 and a half years, but only if she applied/got ok'd to take 3 credits beyond what we're allowed each semester. xD

I know you said Environmental Consultancy for a future career path after a masters, but I'm liberal arts major and that is gobbledegook to me, can you explain that a little further? It sounds interesting. =]  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:04 pm
@Fuji: Oh well, while our course was flexible in terms of what modules (subjects) we took every semester, they all had strict deadlines and all had their examinations in the same period, so the time frame for the entire course was pretty well structured.

Environmenal Consultancy basically involves advising a client on the environmental effects of their potential building/landscaping etc projects. It's a legal requirement for construction companies to obtain an Environmental Impact Assessment (which this Masters will teach me how to do) when applying for planning permission for their various projects, so it's a highly vocational course.

In particular, I'd be looking at Ecological Impact Assessment, which specifically examines the potential effects of said contruction projects on the local wildlife (as opposed to harmful effects on water quality, air quality etc). It sounds like a pretty interesting career but I'm also interested in further research as well as secondary school teaching, so I'm just going to focus on the Masters and see where it takes me smile  

AquilaLiberum

Annai-chansan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:09 pm
That is so awesome biggrin It doesn't count as boasting by the way...it is very, very awesome for you to go to university! And it sounds like a most interesting career field...do you think you'll have lots of close up encounters with animals =O?

ah, but you must be happy that you're done...I still have a year left of high school, so I have to figure out where I actually want to go to university! Although, coincidentelly enough, I'm taking a year off of school as well (only before university and not after)!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 pm
My current profile pic on FB is now one of my favourite pictures. Ever.
It felt so good today not only to hear my name called, and walk across the stage, shake hands with the president of my university and receive my degree, but to see my friends do the same. Best day EVAR. And now that I've ranted enough, I'll let this thread die xd

@Annai: Well I get to survey them and stuff so it should be pretty cool! Oh wow, well yeah, choosing which university to go to is a pretty big decision, but as long as you make sure you're picking for the right reasons, you'll be more than happy with your choice biggrin  

AquilaLiberum

insurgi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am
Congrats Qui! That's freaking awesome.

Also, conservation biology yessssssssss. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:54 pm
Woot! I do not know you, but I am happy for you. heart  

patcher2girl

O.G. Gaian

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm
Awesome! Congrats! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm
Man, what an awesome announcement to come back to! Congratulations, Qui, that's wonderful! 3 years to graduate and then straight into a Masters... Man, you are just zooming through to the highest levels, aren't you? Good luck with your masters program. Do you have a specific job(s) you want to apply that to?  

Ifailedmywillsave

Ky Jelly

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:43 pm
get it you spunky zoologist you!  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash