Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Wondering if i'm not the only one.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JustahBustah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:39 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 pm
Well. How I view it, there is two groups of homosexuals.
Normal gays, who don't talk like Bruno Mars on coke.
And then, the fags who act like pompous dickheads.
Sorry if that offended you, but I honestly don't care.
I hate how some gays act so... gay.
Their the reason why not one likes gays outside of the LGBT community.  

The Laziest Czar

6,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 pm
I have to agree a bit on what you say, since I'm not one of those people who like it when people feel the urge to shout to the world who/what they are. If anything, that only makes me think as if they're trying to be something/someone that they're not -- trying to fit into a title/category.

People are who they are, there's no need to make everyone else know. And to have parades where people are dressed in a sort of "outrageous" way is inappropriate. Especially if there are little kids around, they don't need to be seeing that sort of thing at an early age (and I'm not saying they shouldn't know about sexualities, they should be taught that it's okay to like someone of the same sex or not -- or just love someone for who they are) but they don't need to really be seeing genitalia.
I do believe that there should be support for the LGBT community, but not to flaunt it as if it's a joke to amuse people who come to watch.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 pm
I can see both sides of this - on the one hand, there's a great deal of personal power that comes with freedom of expression, and they have the right to it. On the other hand, we're still in a struggle for equality and this sort of activity can both help and hinder that. It gives a lot of publicity, but with that comes negative attention, especially if things are very ... outrageous, for lack of better words.

Whether it hurts or helps I can't really say - it does get on my nerves a bit though.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:04 pm
I've been banned from several places for voicing this same opinion, I still do it.

Someone at work hated me because they thought I was a "Republican homophobe".. just because my ideals are against being a stereotype and pro guns... but then again, I have so many other things about me that make me completely not like that.

on such a personal level, I view these people as worthless scum.

My highest ideal is those who wish to improve themselves, to better who you are is to really be enlightened.

The perfect person has the ability to react calmly and effectively, is able to make independent and honorable decisions regardless of what the consequences are, is well learned in as many things as they hold interest in (or is pursuing such knowledge), and is never willing to back down. this is not how I see the gay community... the gay community to me more resembles a Teenie Bopper concert then a movement for freedom, and I'd love to take charge to show people what sexuality really is... you can't explain it because it isn't anything. If you're gay then you want to go to the movies with someone of your own gender, it shouldn't mean you want to go clubbing, do E, be an alcoholic, and sleep with strangers constantly whilst acting like a teenaged cheerleader.... but that's the image I must erase.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:25 am
Personally, I hate that. Especially when it puts a bad name on me. I like boys and girls, so of course I'm offended when someone goes against people who aren't straight. But it also doesn't help when some stupid a** person goes around giving gay/lesbian/transgender/bisexual people a really bad name.

And while it's for those people who have to be blamed, it's also stupid homophobes. They put a label on ALL people who aren't straight, so they are also to blame in most situations. Some people figure "well since this is what they think of me, then I'm going to act like that". I've done it a few times in other situations, so I find it a mutual kind of blame there.  

xXDepressedEmo69Xx

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

XxRainbowSnowconexX

6,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 pm
Amen to that justah!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:48 pm
I know what you mean..
But the way I see it, there are good people and freaky people and pervs and criminals everywhere - straight, gay, bi, whatever. People need to see that the LGBT community has all kinds of people, just like the straight community. But homophobes won't see that - they'll look at Mr. Paper Mache p***s and say case in point.

Aureae

Prism Cloud

Tipsy Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 pm
Dusty-Boy
I've been banned from several places for voicing this same opinion, I still do it.

Someone at work hated me because they thought I was a "Republican homophobe".. just because my ideals are against being a stereotype and pro guns... but then again, I have so many other things about me that make me completely not like that.

on such a personal level, I view these people as worthless scum.

My highest ideal is those who wish to improve themselves, to better who you are is to really be enlightened.

The perfect person has the ability to react calmly and effectively, is able to make independent and honorable decisions regardless of what the consequences are, is well learned in as many things as they hold interest in (or is pursuing such knowledge), and is never willing to back down. this is not how I see the gay community... the gay community to me more resembles a Teenie Bopper concert then a movement for freedom, and I'd love to take charge to show people what sexuality really is... you can't explain it because it isn't anything. If you're gay then you want to go to the movies with someone of your own gender, it shouldn't mean you want to go clubbing, do E, be an alcoholic, and sleep with strangers constantly whilst acting like a teenaged cheerleader.... but that's the image I must erase.

Well, there is one thing. It's bad to act the gay stereotype for the attention, but some gay men are just promiscuous like that, just like many straight men are just as bad, if not worse.

While it makes no sense, to me, why some gays act more like women than most women do, while they are trying to attract men attracted to MEN, I do understand that some gays are just attracted to that whole persona. Rather than judging them, I just don't date them, because it certainly isn't a turn on for me.

But calling them worthless trash is rather excessive. After all, some gays feel they are women trapped in a man's body, and if acting like a woman is what floats their boat; drama and all, I would simply be a hypocrite to judge them.

Promiscuity is a separate issue. I know many laid back, masculine gay men who are far more promiscuous than many feminine gay men, and I know plenty of straight men more promiscuous than both of those.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:35 am
I'm actually quite surprised by the responses here thus far, but I suppose this is what we get for living in a very heteronormative society and homophobic culture.

As allies, those who don't identify as heterosexuals, or people of varying sexual orientations, I would expect a lot more acceptance from you (and I suppose us all seeing as how I'm not always the most accepting person myself). As many of us can relate to living the life of a queer person, we are often faced with discrimination, and in turn that has allowed us to feel empathy and acceptance for others. So if we are accepting individuals of queer orientations, why aren't we accepting to people's expressions?

I suppose it is because of our internalized homophobia - trying to fit into the scheme of heteronormativity which is actually one of our greatest oppressors. So what if some folks (not just queer, but any person) doesn't act like their gender's traits? I mean, we have sex and often we're not reproducing or forming these heterosexual relationships with others. We live in a society where heterosexuality is the normal; where men are supposed to act like men and women are supposed to act like women; where men and women are to unite in the "sacred" ceremony known as marriage and having children who grow up to continue the cycle. But unfortunately when we restrict ourselves to that cycle, we oppress ourselves and oppress others. We limit our ability to act like who we are and start putting on restraints to people: you can't be like that because you should be like this, because everyone acts like this.

I think an important thing concerning this topic is that you need to detach yourself from your judgements. This other person is in fact, another person. They are not you and you don't have a say in how they should be. You don't own them or control them and you will never understand that person because of their own body and mind and your own body and mind. As such, respect that you can never be them and let them continue on with their life - because you have your own to worry about.

When we start to pick on queer individuals who don't act like ourselves, we break our solidarity as folks who have survived so much and fought so hard, and continue to fight. It tells the heteronormative community "Hey, even the gay guys are picking on the girly gay guys! It's okay to pick on the girly gay guys! Let's beat the s**t out of them and set them on fire! Yeah!"

As well, we also need to remember our history. If it weren't for people who were flamboyant, the drag queens on the front lines of Stonewall and other important queer history events, we wouldn't be where we are today. We would still be hiding in secrecy to meet, we would still be pushed around like dogs and kept in ghettos, and we would not be recognized as a force of people or a movement.

Sure, you don't like them, and those are your own personal perogatvies that you should get over. It's like the homophobe and the homosexual. Queer folks exist and it is something the homophobe needs to get over if they ever want to succeed and make friends. Whatever has brought on your personal judgements about people who defy the gender binary (and kudos to them, because they are the ones at the front of the movement allowing people to be people and not live as categorized figures/robots), you need to get over your judgements, whether them stem from your own insecurities (which we all have), your past experiences (ie. trying to live the life of a heterosexual in a society that ostracizes you because of who you are), or whatnot.

Gordums

Cerulean Thief

Dangerous Pirate

12,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 am

I unfortunately have yet to go to a parade so my views may be biased, but from pictures friends of mine took and showed me and from what friends have told me about the parades, I have mixed feelings about it. At the parades here there are many people who will run around completely nude.

I myself am not comfortable with this. I understand those who are doing so are doing it for expression. However, with how society is today, I believe this brings the wrong kind of message to the community and only expresses more of a nudist colony then anything else in my opinion.

But like I mentioned in the first sentence, my view may be biased since I have not yet been able to attend a parade. I also know that not everyone in the parade does the full nude representation and there are many other groups in the parade that are completely clothed.

I just personally feel uncomfortable with that aspect of the parade and feel that it can negatively represent the overall community. However, like Scratch mentioned, people express themselves differently and the freedom of it can be taken many ways. But with the typical conservative society, running around nude still seems to be looked down upon and not taken seriously in any manner but as public nudity.

So that's my take of it. Dunno if that is even a viable conversation to add to this discussion, but I felt like sharing. Despite my lack of experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:46 pm
One thing you could keep in mind is that any group has those people in it, the ones that can be found obnoxious and put themselves out there so much that they can attract negative attention to the group as a whole. And in every such group, there are people that don't wish to be judged by those people. It is completely understandable. Some of those people are certainly too selfish and perhaps unreasonable for my taste, however it is a fact of any group.  

Delusional Princess

rayray1123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 pm
Gordums
I'm actually quite surprised by the responses here thus far, but I suppose this is what we get for living in a very heteronormative society and homophobic culture.

As allies, those who don't identify as heterosexuals, or people of varying sexual orientations, I would expect a lot more acceptance from you (and I suppose us all seeing as how I'm not always the most accepting person myself). As many of us can relate to living the life of a queer person, we are often faced with discrimination, and in turn that has allowed us to feel empathy and acceptance for others. So if we are accepting individuals of queer orientations, why aren't we accepting to people's expressions?

I suppose it is because of our internalized homophobia - trying to fit into the scheme of heteronormativity which is actually one of our greatest oppressors. So what if some folks (not just queer, but any person) doesn't act like their gender's traits? I mean, we have sex and often we're not reproducing or forming these heterosexual relationships with others. We live in a society where heterosexuality is the normal; where men are supposed to act like men and women are supposed to act like women; where men and women are to unite in the "sacred" ceremony known as marriage and having children who grow up to continue the cycle. But unfortunately when we restrict ourselves to that cycle, we oppress ourselves and oppress others. We limit our ability to act like who we are and start putting on restraints to people: you can't be like that because you should be like this, because everyone acts like this.

I think an important thing concerning this topic is that you need to detach yourself from your judgements. This other person is in fact, another person. They are not you and you don't have a say in how they should be. You don't own them or control them and you will never understand that person because of their own body and mind and your own body and mind. As such, respect that you can never be them and let them continue on with their life - because you have your own to worry about.

When we start to pick on queer individuals who don't act like ourselves, we break our solidarity as folks who have survived so much and fought so hard, and continue to fight. It tells the heteronormative community "Hey, even the gay guys are picking on the girly gay guys! It's okay to pick on the girly gay guys! Let's beat the s**t out of them and set them on fire! Yeah!"

As well, we also need to remember our history. If it weren't for people who were flamboyant, the drag queens on the front lines of Stonewall and other important queer history events, we wouldn't be where we are today. We would still be hiding in secrecy to meet, we would still be pushed around like dogs and kept in ghettos, and we would not be recognized as a force of people or a movement.

Sure, you don't like them, and those are your own personal perogatvies that you should get over. It's like the homophobe and the homosexual. Queer folks exist and it is something the homophobe needs to get over if they ever want to succeed and make friends. Whatever has brought on your personal judgements about people who defy the gender binary (and kudos to them, because they are the ones at the front of the movement allowing people to be people and not live as categorized figures/robots), you need to get over your judgements, whether them stem from your own insecurities (which we all have), your past experiences (ie. trying to live the life of a heterosexual in a society that ostracizes you because of who you are), or whatnot.
well i never have picked on one of the girly gay guys but they have been very duchbagy to me. i am just a laid back person and im not a stereotype actually have guy friends that are straight.  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games