Mouse breeding question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:17 pm
I bred my mice before I had a white and black patterned one and bred it to a brown agouti (sp?). and all the babies came out solid. Except for one which had a white triangle on its belly.

What i am wondering is is the pattern gene recessive? So if I were to breed a male patterned mouse with one of the baby females would they come out with a pattern?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm
Spots are a double recessive. Patterns are even harder to pin down. So breeding a patterned (spotted) male with one of your spotted females will produce spotted offspring, but not necessarily the pattern you're looking for.

Out of curiosity how old is the female you're thinking of using?

EDIT: after looking at your other thread about your new mouse I'm going to try and discourage you from breeding these mice. Pet store mice are heavily predisposed to genetic disease, tumors and general ill health. Breeding that type of animal is not helping to advance or maintain them. It's just creating more sickly mice.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 pm
Shearaha
Spots are a double recessive. Patterns are even harder to pin down. So breeding a patterned (spotted) male with one of your spotted females will produce spotted offspring, but not necessarily the pattern you're looking for.

Out of curiosity how old is the female you're thinking of using?

EDIT: after looking at your other thread about your new mouse I'm going to try and discourage you from breeding these mice. Pet store mice are heavily predisposed to genetic disease, tumors and general ill health. Breeding that type of animal is not helping to advance or maintain them. It's just creating more sickly mice.

Okay thank you. I am going to breed them anyways. My mice are all really healthy. went to the vet and had a checkup even. Expensive as hell.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:50 pm
Why are you breeding the mice?  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:24 am
imabadspeler
Okay thank you. I am going to breed them anyways. My mice are all really healthy. went to the vet and had a checkup even. Expensive as hell.

Current health is not an indicator of genetic health.

Why do you want to breed these mice?
What characteristics of the male and female are you trying to carry on to the next generation?
What do you plan to do with the offspring?
Can you tell the difference between male and female pups at 21 days old?
Do you know what to do if something goes wrong with the pregnancy or labor?
Do you have the space and resources to house all the potential pups? Singly? I've seen litters of 14 that were all males, are you prepared for that?

I'm not trying to beat you down, but really the questions you need to ask yourself/be asked, are the same when breeding mice as when breeding dogs or any other larger mammal. Just because they're mice does not change the fact that you're planning on deliberately bringing new lives into this world that you will be responsible for.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 am
Shearaha
imabadspeler

Current health is not an indicator of genetic health.

I want to see what the babies come out like as well as pass down calmness genes.

What characteristics of the male and female are you trying to carry on to the next generation?

My mice have really good temperament. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52XAcTOrxo thats a video of the dad from my first video chilling. I am trying to make calmer mice that like to chill. All the boys from the litter are super nice like their dad and love to hang out and get pet. A few of the girls are friendly too.

My girl friend and I are planning on keeping the ones we like and finding homes for the rest. I did this before.

Yes I learned how to do this with my first litter of mice

Thats not really a question. With any pregnancy their is a risk. Why do people have babies if there is a risk they could die?

Do you have the space and resources to house all the potential pups? Singly? I've seen litters of 14 that were all males, are you prepared for that? Yes I am. I have tons of cages between my girlfriend and I.

I'm not trying to beat you down, but really the questions you need to ask yourself/be asked, are the same when breeding mice as when breeding dogs or any other larger mammal. Just because they're mice does not change the fact that you're planning on deliberately bringing new lives into this world that you will be responsible for.

sorry i just wrote the answeres in your quoted post cause it was easier. lol  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 am
Whiskey On A Sunday
Why are you breeding the mice?

I'm interested in the genetics behind breeding. I am trying to breed mice that are calmer and like to be around people.

Most mice tend to run away when you try to take them out. 2 of my girls will walk right out of the cage to get attention. My boys will freeze when you open the cage and just look up at you and wait to get picked up or pet. its really cute actually.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 am
imabadspeler

Thats not really a question. With any pregnancy their is a risk. Why do people have babies if there is a risk they could die?

That's a big question! Are you willing to take her to the vet and and the babies surgically removed? Or just let the mama and babies die?  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:20 am
imabadspeler
I want to see what the babies come out like as well as pass down calmness genes.

My mice have really good temperament. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52XAcTOrxo thats a video of the dad from my first video chilling. I am trying to make calmer mice that like to chill. All the boys from the litter are super nice like their dad and love to hang out and get pet. A few of the girls are friendly too.

OK, personality/temperament is a good thing to think about, but you still have to think about general health. This is the same reason some people give not to spay/neuter their dog.

imabadspeler
My girl friend and I are planning on keeping the ones we like and finding homes for the rest. I did this before.

I know you did, but that was an Oops litter. This one you're planning, so you have to ask yourself what you'll do if you can't find homes.

imabadspeler

Gotta ask, it's not easy to do, and I remember you asking for help last time, but never getting to see any pictures.

imabadspeler

Because they have doctors and/or midwives to assist if something goes wrong. Would you breed a dog without having a vet who can help on call?

imabadspeler
Do you have the space and resources to house all the potential pups? Singly? I've seen litters of 14 that were all males, are you prepared for that? Yes I am. I have tons of cages between my girlfriend and I.

That's a good thing. Are the cages good for juvenile mice though? They're able to squeeze through bars that adults aren't.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 am
Shearaha
imabadspeler

OK, personality/temperament is a good thing to think about, but you still have to think about general health. This is the same reason some people give not to spay/neuter their dog.

imabadspeler

I know you did, but that was an Oops litter. This one you're planning, so you have to ask yourself what you'll do if you can't find homes.

imabadspeler

Gotta ask, it's not easy to do, and I remember you asking for help last time, but never getting to see any pictures.

imabadspeler

Because they have doctors and/or midwives to assist if something goes wrong. Would you breed a dog without having a vet who can help on call?

imabadspeler

That's a good thing. Are the cages good for juvenile mice though? They're able to squeeze through bars that adults aren't.

If I didn't show you pictures its probably because I sexed them perfectly. lol. Plus it is hard to take pictures of baby mice. Males have holes/bumps that are further apart and girls are touching basically.

Yeah I got all that down. I'm good. I can do it. I have thought of all these things. Im not one of those stupid people that just wants to breed mice for the lawls.  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 am
imabadspeler
If I didn't show you pictures its probably because I sexed them perfectly. lol. Plus it is hard to take pictures of baby mice. Males have holes/bumps that are further apart and girls are touching basically.

Yeah I got all that down. I'm good. I can do it. I have thought of all these things. Im not one of those stupid people that just wants to breed mice for the lawls.

I had to ask. You know how much I love mice and I just needed to know that you knew what you're getting into.

I still think it's a bad idea using pet store stock. They're the same quality as puppy mill dogs health wise. If you really want to get into breeding mice you may want to find someone who is already breeding for similar things and try to purchase some of their mice. That way you should have access to health records spanning generations and you'll know what genetic abnormalities you need to watch out for. Like working with an established reputable dog breeder when you're learning the ropes.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games