Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
life in the work place.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 am
i live in Malibu, and its very 'tight assholed' about "status" for everyone's rep or whatever. personally i never gave a crap about what any of them think about me(been very open about my sexuality since 7th grade). but now that im working i feel like i cant wear certain things that im damn proud to wear everyday(rainbow bracelet/necklace, i heart boobies bracelet/homemade bracelet or necklace, anything that hints at my sexuality basically).
i did cut my hair a couple days ago and went in and they seemed to like it, i guess(its suuper short now 3nodding )

but i was wondering anyone else's experience in their work place, if you feel the same, or if you mastered the art of 'the straight people workers'
whee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 am
I haven't been employed for the past two years and I came out about a year and a half ago so I haven't had that experience yet.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 am
well i say, dont mask who you are. im not, the first day i worked i did, but after that i basically just told them "im not hiding who and what i am anymore. if you dont like it, then please fire me. im sure i can get a nice Jewish lawyer to get this worked"
they seem fine with me now smile although i get along with the guy there better. most girls that come in then leave, oh the conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am
I'm not a flaunting type of person, so I figure that my sexuality is mostly the business of my significant other (or prospective people, if I was single) and not so much my coworkers. To each their own, I guess; as long as it doesn't interfere with work it should be fine.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm
true.
hehe, it was cute. today a guy came in with a purse, lisp, nails painted, and ears and lip pierced. whee he came in asking for kitty caps(caps for kitty claws so you dont have to clip them) and looked through and said "Ooo! purple and sparkly pink? i'll take these two, and if you get any more sparkles in, can i come back and change them?"
i never had so much fun assisting anyone in that store that wasn't under the age of 6 xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 pm
I've never been quiet about my sexuality after I came out, and I came out about three years ago after spending a few years in the closet. Once I was out, I was proud of myself. As I say, clothes are for closets, not men or women. But in my interview, I answered one of the questions that I was gay and a trying time in my life was when my now ex boyfriend forced me out of the closet.

But anyways. My workplace isn't negative about it. I'm not the only openly gay person that works where I do anyways. The most I get, is like jokes and stuff, but since I laugh along, its just become jokes all together. Even today I walked into work with a rainbow bracelet on one wrist, as well as fishnet arm warmers on, and there was no problem at all, except for of course I had to take them off because they weren't uniform But that was okay.

Zydrate Popsicle

Sexy Krampus

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:01 pm
hehe, ive been showing up just wearing the "i <3 boobies" bracelet, but its the bracelets for the breast cancer fundraising thing(pretty much) so idk if anyone notices too much.
ive been debating to wear my rainbow sweatband lately. between, almost losing one of my bracelets from a girlfriend to a chinchilla, and dogs coming in and trying to eat them...im still debating ^-^;

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:49 am
I've always had a very positive work experience. It's thrilling to find out a lot of your co-workers are Homosexual, let alone your BOSS is a Lesbian and has a wife. <3

You'd think working in a restaurant would be a little strict on certain things, but hell, they let me come in with Bubble gum pink and baby blue hair. And love it.

There have been a few people who are uncomfortable with it, however I'm a cruel sadistic person and simply find the awkwardness it installs amusing. Haha. Though. That's just me. They learn to deal.

I say, Wear your rainbow bracelets, necklaces, what will you. As long as it follows your work places health / dress codes / doesn't offend customers, I don't see a problem with it. But remember, broadcasting it with items isn't the only way. Even with out those things, your still who you are. As a 'wise man' once said:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

--- Dr. Seuss

x311x

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items