Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Coughing dog?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:00 pm
Alright, so long story short, our Sheltie cross Scooter gave a us a wee bit of a scare about a month ago. We took him to the vet for his coughing and other reasons. She prescribed us medicine for him, some for his coughing, and some for his heart.

He coughs because he has fluid in his lungs, and his heart is a little bit enlarged to it pushes on his lungs which is another factor for his coughing.

Anywho, I was wondering if there was another thing we could do for him, other than his pills, to try to keep his coughing to a minimum? I feel awful hearing him cough ):

Any tips are helpful smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 am
I did a little research on Google about coughing dogs.
I got a lot of hits on kennel cough which it doesn`t sound like your dog has.
None the less I found some homeopathic remedies to help with immunity and respiratory protection.

KC-Defense.

Here is the website I pulled it from if you`d like to take a look at it as well.
It is directed towards kennel cough but it has some remedies to help with respiratory problems.

Home treatment for Kennel Cough.

I hope this has helped in some way.

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 am
Thanks! Ill talk to my mom about it, see what she thinks smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am
d i m i r h e x means well but what you are describing is not kennel cough and those remedies won't help. From the symptoms you described your dog has congestive heart failure. He needs a reduced salt diet, restricted exercise and he needs to get the medication as prescribed by his vet. He should have regular checkups at the vet to monitor his condition.  

imderanged

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm
imderanged
d i m i r h e x means well but what you are describing is not kennel cough and those remedies won't help. From the symptoms you described your dog has congestive heart failure. He needs a reduced salt diet, restricted exercise and he needs to get the medication as prescribed by his vet. He should have regular checkups at the vet to monitor his condition.

He already gets all of this smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 am
imderanged; I know her dog does not have kennel cough, I said that in my post.
I found respiratory homeopathic remedies that don`t cover just kennel cough.
Plus since she already talked about going to the vet`s on a regular basis I just wanted to give some kind of another remedy. 4laugh

`Akiko`; I hope this helps in some small way!
Why not try calling your vet and asking them for other remedies as well?
Usually they know of other ways to help. ^_^

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 pm
We're going to the vet tomorrow to pick him up another bag of his food.

My mom said that we're going to talk to the vet tom. about his coughing and such tomorrow to see what else we can do smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm
My dog had the same problem. So we gave her alot of water and then took her to the doctor cause it was going on for a long time. so thats wta i have to say about that. thats all i know neutral  

skyy365

5,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Angel of the Dark Prince

Rainbow Shapeshifter

13,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm
we turned the heat up when our dogs coughed. or had sneezing fits. kept us out of the vets office.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 am
Did the vet say WHY he has fluid in his lungs, or how his heart got to be enlarged? Could there be a mechanical issue with the valves in his heart?

Until the fluid gets cleared up it's probably best to stick to low levels of exercise. I.E just walking. I know that science diet makes a diet for heart diseased dogs. You could talk to your vet about that, or what to look for in other foods to be sure they are right for your dog. Like low sodium, high potassium etc.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:14 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Did the vet say WHY he has fluid in his lungs, or how his heart got to be enlarged? Could there be a mechanical issue with the valves in his heart?

Until the fluid gets cleared up it's probably best to stick to low levels of exercise. I.E just walking. I know that science diet makes a diet for heart diseased dogs. You could talk to your vet about that, or what to look for in other foods to be sure they are right for your dog. Like low sodium, high potassium etc.

I wasnt with my mom when she took Scooter to the vet the first time. So I just got the jist of whats going on with him. So I'm not sure why he has fluid in his lungs, we do know he has a leaky heart valve. His vet said its common for dogs his age to have an enlarged heart (Old man is 12)

Scoot gets little walks when hes having a good day and hes feeling energetic.

We got him food the vet recommended, but of course he wont eat it. So we get to go out and find food the bugger will actually eat.

He's going to a checkup soon. Ill go to that one so I can ask more questions that my mom will forget if I leave it to her ._.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm
`Akiko`
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

I wasnt with my mom when she took Scooter to the vet the first time. So I just got the jist of whats going on with him. So I'm not sure why he has fluid in his lungs, we do know he has a leaky heart valve. His vet said its common for dogs his age to have an enlarged heart (Old man is 12)

We got him food the vet recommended, but of course he wont eat it. So we get to go out and find food the bugger will actually eat.

He's going to a checkup soon. Ill go to that one so I can ask more questions that my mom will forget if I leave it to her ._.

could you entice him to eat it? maybe a bit of tough love? or sprinkling a touch of salmon oil over it? I can't remember off the top of my head what specifically to look for in a heart diet. But I do know low sodium is very important, and I don't think foods will actually list that. Avoid treats with added salt at least. Omega 3 is generally great for circulation so salmon oil on the food would be a good thing.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

`Akiko`

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
`Akiko`
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

could you entice him to eat it? maybe a bit of tough love? or sprinkling a touch of salmon oil over it? I can't remember off the top of my head what specifically to look for in a heart diet. But I do know low sodium is very important, and I don't think foods will actually list that. Avoid treats with added salt at least. Omega 3 is generally great for circulation so salmon oil on the food would be a good thing.

Ooh, Ill try that thanks! smile

Hes a really picky eater, so we'll see how it goes razz  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces