Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I want birds. Advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm
So for a while now I've wanted a couple of birds. But I knew Lockett would try to kill them, so the idea was put aside. Of course now we will so not be getting a cat again, I probably wouldn't get a cat until years down the track when my parents arent with me, and I'm not struggling with money and trying to find a place to rent (Nobody ever wants to rent out a place to dog and cat owners...).

Then I wanted to wait until the guinea pigs were sorted out. Pumba passed, so now the cage is big enough, plus they're out in the big run most of the day, almost everyday (Well not lately, it's been freezing).

Now the only obstacles are my parents, and the fact that at the moment I have no money, and if I get any pets I want them to be my responsibility.
But hey, all the more time for research.

The only bird I've owned is budgees, and I kind of wanted to try another type of bird (not that they weren't great). What birds do you reccomend? I want some that can go in a cage together (2), I'd like it to not make to much noise (They'll have a roomy cage, with plenty of toys, I'll take them out of the cage etc. and just make sure they don't get bored).
I'd also like parrots of some sort, but could go for something else. Really just depends on what's going to fit into my lifestyle.

Also, sorry if I've posted a thread like this before. Can't remember, but I have wanted birds for a while so I might have.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 am
If noise is an issue I don't really think any of the parrots are for you. If you are looking for a bird that is easy to tame, likes cage mates and is relatively quite, I think you might want to look into DOVES. I've never kept them myself, so I cannot give and firsthand advice, but that's what popped into my head when I read your post so I figured I'd mention it as a possible choice for you to research smile  

imderanged

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:22 am
Well by not to much noise, I mean, not to loud, not making to much loud noise to often. I don't care, but I know my parents will.

I love bigger birds, especially african grey parrots, but I don't want to think about getting them until I have more bird experience.

Hmm what about cockatiels? I've always really liked them. I've heard they can be noisy, but the ones I've met don't make much more noise then my guinea pigs when they think I'm about to feed them some veggies loll. Do love birds make a lot of noise? I don't think I can get doves anywhere around her. The pet store I go to doesn't have them either (the ONLY petstore I would buy from. They actually care about the animals, and take in a lot of unwanted older animals too, but no bigger mammals like dogs or cats).

EDIT: I may just stick to budgies for now. I do like them, and while I'm trying to make money, am going to school and am living with my parents, it's probably best to stick to an animal we all have experience with and good experience at that  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:09 am
Yes in my experience (I've had a few cockatiels and I've had budgies and guinea pigs to compare the noise levels) cockatiels make more noise than gpigs or budgies. It's normally not a sustained constant squawking but they can definitely reach a much higher decibel level than either. On the other hand they are not nearly as noisy as the only slightly larger conures. My mother had a love bird years ago, I can't quite remember what it sounded like, but my experience with similarly sized birds leads to to believe they are capable of being loud when they feel like it. I do know that the African grey you mentioned is a VERY loud bird...I had a fried who's grey learned to imitate the phone (kind of annoying) and the FIRE ALARM (nerve wracking!!!)  

imderanged

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:54 am
Hmm.... Very difficult decision lol. I'll most likely end up with both budgies and cockatiels eventually, but I'm not sure which to get first.
I think I just need to discuss it with my parents and decide which bird to get. Which will take about a month, my parents give me roughly, 10-20 seconds of time to seriously talk about pets, and then they switch off lol.

I think they both like birds. I'm sure they'd both encourage me to trade in my dogs for a few birds rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:48 am
Remember birds have long lifespans (even budgies live to 15 years, cockatiels 20-25).

If you want an interactive bird, parrots like budgies and cockatiels would be your best bet. Usually non-psittacine birds, while they can interact with you, just do not interact with humans like parrots do.

They also have complex dietary needs requiring fresh food like leafy greens every single day, plus quality seed and sprouts. Also got to make sure your cage is big enough- most cages in pet stores sold for birds are way too small to use for anything but a travel cage. It should be at least 24 inches long and at least 2 feet square for a pair of budgies, slightly bigger for a pair of cockatiels.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

skyy365

5,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:54 pm
Well i have earned birds before so i know so good ones. If u want a quiet bird and one that like toys and can be kept together in a cage u should get parakeets. they are pretty, they love toys, and they get along with other birds really good. Or canaries are really good birds but they sing alot so idk about that one. anyways those are the 2 i recomend. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:15 pm
Well asked my parents whether they would prefer cockatiels or budgies/parakeets. Both said they want a bigger parrot that can talk, they think they're more fun. I informed them that a parrot would make a lot of noise. But they are insisting that if I do have to get one down the track, they want a parrot. Of course I would love a parrot. There's a few I really like but I can't remember the names (Don't worry, I will do heaps of research).

I need to keep talking to my parents, let them know exactly what they'd be getting themselves into with a larger and louder parrot.
I've figured out roughly how much a pair of budgies will cost me intially, and would still like to get them even if we do get parrots. Cockatiels are a bird I really want too.
I have bird fever...

Talked to mum. She loves Cockatoos, and wants one (or two later on). Going to do some research now, but I know people who've owned them, and feel pretty comfortable about owning one..

EDIT: Scratch that. I think I'm just going to get budgies. One day I'll probably own a parrot, but for now, I think I'm going to stick with budgees. They're relativly cheap compared to other species, their cage doesn't need to be to big (Though I want it to be bigger then the reccommended sizes. More space = happier animals in my opinion), and I find them fairly easy to care for.  

DeeSpark

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 pm
Lol, budgies and cockatiels ARE parrots. So yes, by getting budgies or cockatiels, you will be getting parrots. =)

Cockatoos are demanding and can and will be monsters if their needs are not met. I do not recommend them unless you have a lot of experience with birds- cockatoos are not just owning a dog or cat, they are literally adopting another person into your family. While many people consider their dogs and cats to be 'family', cockatoos are family like no other. Cockatoos live lifespans comparable to people, 50-60+ years old, which is nothing compared to the lifespan of a dog or cat. They cannot get spayed or neutered and may, around breeding season, change their personality drastically. They have a tendency to, if allowed to, overbond with a particular person then act extremely aggressive toward other people besides that person, or scream when that person is out of their sight- people call them Velcro birds for a reason. They will self-mutilate themselves if their needs are not being taken care of, pulling out all the feathers they can reach and even continue by tearing holes into their skin. Plucking, once established, is extremely difficult to take care of and some birds remain pluckers for life, requiring special care in order to keep them from tearing holes into their skin and keeping their skin moisturized and well-kept, since they do not have the protective layer of feathers.

Cockatoos are also loud to degrees you would never believe. Mytoos.com has an excellent clip of a cockatoo screaming. Cockatoos will 'scream'- or display, in this case- twice a day, morning and evening, and this daily displaying is part of a happy bird and it WILL happen.
They are also very powerful birds and, if they so /wish/ to bite you, they can bite you hard enough to send you to the hospital to get stitches.

So, cockatoos are serious birds to take care of, a true lifetime commitment and should be considered as seriously as having a baby- literally.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:31 pm
Oh I know budgies and cockatiels are parrots, but in my family everyone thinks a parrot is a bigger bird.

Now I'm looking at the Alexandrine Parrot.

What is everyone's veiws on outside aviaries? I mean, I see most pet birds outside in aviaries, but then again a lot of the birds I see are Australian species, so can easily take the Australian weather.
The parrots would still come inside everyday, but I'm not sure if I should get one. It would be easier, space wise. There is enough room in the house for a good sized cage, but an aviary could be bigger...  

DeeSpark

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:19 am
Outside aviaries are amazing and are THE best form of housing for a bird. Hands down.

But they require intensive planning. You can't just plop a cage out there and make it an outside aviary. It needs to have a foundation, for one- the best choice is solid concrete or rock slabs. If you choose to use a natural dirt floor, you will have to bury 1/4 inch wire six to eight inches in the ground to prevent rodents from coming in.
Further more on pest control, the wire mesh will have to be of a strong gauge too.

You can't just have a door on the aviary- you should have an antechamber so that the birds cannot fly out and escape. An antechamber is a little room before the door that goes into the aviary.

It will also have to be partially sheltered, so that means a roof. The wood and all would have to be thoroughly sealed so it won't start rotting or anything on you.

Aviaries are wonderful and have many, many benefits for the birds, but you have to plan it right.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games